Staying Alive Under Oppressive Air Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Alive Under Oppressive Air Power

(Alternative Title: What NOT to do when Drunk, Bod, DV, Cymba, Strike, etc are flying)

I've compiled a list of several tips that work for me when ace pilots complicate things a bit. Feedback is welcome!

- Stay out of armor! With pilots at this skill level, armor is candy. It kills me to see a whole squad pile up in an APC to be taken out with one effortless jet passover. It just isn't worth it. If one absolutely cannot let that APC or tank sit empty and unused, at the very least, park it under a tree or leave it in the hangar. (A good idea is to put AT mines in front/behind it in case it is taken over by the enemy, and leave it empty.) Do NOT drive it, and for heaven's sake, if you MUST drive it, don't take the road!! If you hear that sharp whine of an oncoming air vehicle, BAIL. Just assume he is gunning straight for your armor, because he probably IS.

- Stay out of vehicles! Again, vehicles are easy targets for jets and TV missiles. Just go on foot when possible. If absolutely unavoidable, spread your squad into as many different vehicles as possible and use light jeeps/FAVs over the bulkier Humvees and Vodniks. Do NOT take the road. Drive off to the side of the road, under a pipe, through the woods, etc. You could also park a couple of 50 cals under some trees, spread out a little, but trained to the same horizon. This can be effective against enemy helos. Boats are bad news. And again, if you hear an engine whine from above, BAIL first, ask questions later.

- Stay out of the flag radius. The only reason to be within a flag radius is to capture a flag, or defend against an enemy who is ON the flag. Instead, take up a perimeter around the base when defending. SLs, give each of your men a different directional coordinate to cover (ex: Bob take NW, Joe take E, Jim take SW, etc). This will ensure everyone is spread out (also helpful against arty!). In my opinion, there is no need to man AA, since it A. puts you in the flag radius (or nearby) and B. offers a free kill to a passing jet/helo. If attacking, don't put your whole squad on the flag when capturing, have a two-man team stay back under cover in case a jet clears the flag radius. Also, consider pulling your men off the instant it goes neutral if the enemy is not an overwhelming threat. A neutral flag is a big bomb target to a competent pilot, wait until the air passes and resume turning the flag.

- Use cover. You'd think this one is a given, but you'd be wrong. Take the covered route, even if it is longer. Instead of trudging across an open field, use a pipe to conceal your movement, or buildings. If you are assaulting a flag that is continually harassed by air power, try to always keep your back to a building and make sure your squad is doing the same. Have assault throw smoke once if you must be in the open. Don't use rooftops, instead, snipe/overwatch from windows. Also, NEVER set up a defensive position on the highest level of a building (such as maps with construction sites), always have your squad at least on the next floor down.

- COs, you can coordinate staggered attacks on a base that is heavily air-defended. Have one group attack and another group wait in position outside for a second-wave attack. This way, one jet pass doesn't take out two entire squads. The best way to keep air attacks from squashing whole divisions of people is to change up your assault objectives often. If you continue to bring 2-3 squads against the same base wave after wave, they just become bomb/missile fodder.

These effective anti-air tactics can save your team tickets and keep a powerful air force from having a gigantic advantage. Hope this helps!

Kisses!
    Sassy
    [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
    [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Re: Staying Alive Under Oppressive Air Power

Another thing you could possibily add is the use of IGLA stinger sites, on maps like oman when 2-3 of them are being used at once it can really deter bombing by quite a bit.

Comment

Another option is to vote to change the map to Sharqi or Songhua or Mashtuur :D

Comment

I like to give planes other targets to shoot at...

EG... jump in that jeep/buggy and move it close to the flag... what happens then is the jets get a nice little glowing target on their redical and all their fire goes to it... the added bonus is if the enemy comes into the flag area their own planes might take them down if they are not watching their radar...

and if the enemy happen to jump in the vehicle, you could lace it with c4 ahead of time, or you could have a number of ways of destroying it causeing splash damage to the enemy squad
        "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
        "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Some additional tips from the view of a pilot:

1. We've got many good pilots here at TG, but pulling off successful and accurate bombing runs every time can be difficult under duress. Hitting a moving vehicle even more so. If you see or hear a plane coming in, reverse as fast as you can. Normally, this will get you out of the blast radius or prevent lethal damage.

2. If you have to sit in a vehicle (stationary), sit under cover and in a secondary seat. By this I mean get the vehicle under a tree, a crane, surrounded by lots of buildings, anything that will make it more difficult to hit. On any given map, there are normally certain runs that pilots will do in an attempt to blow stuff up. For example, on Gulf of Oman the MEC pilots will normally swing west over the warehouse and River Fort, before running across the beachfront and towards the hotel. If you're close to the construction site, village or even a partially shielded area, you should be safe. As I mentioned above, do not sit in the primary seat of a vehicle if you are stationary. If you are in a tank, use the gunner seat. If you are in a buggy, sit in the .50 cal. This stops those glowing green boxes appearing around you, thus making you harder to see and hit. Plus, you'll look as if you're empty and pilots will not spend their time blowing up empty vehicles.

3. If you're being bothered by helos, try and get your squads to focus fire on the problem. M4s, M16s, AK-101s, use everything you have. When a pilot takes continuous damage and has AT rockets flying at him, he'll normally bug out.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
          |TG-2nd|munchkin
          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think vehicels are the BEST plce to be against air power, esp. the jeeps. Get those .50s working. If you can tag the jet 3 or 4 times, he's hurting. And for choppers, jeeps are death.

Keep the jeep under cover as much as possible and move around after each pass.
            Only the dead have seen the end of war.
            -Plato

Comment

I was playing on Operation Clean sweep the other night and had good experiences with using a kind of 'rope a dope' tactic. I would go prone near a AA site (you know. the thing with the missles that used to be a death trap before the patch) but not hop in it until I was ready. I would then get a team member to run a tank/apc in an irratic but circular track around the nearest flag. When I heard a jet near by, I would hop up, spot it for the tank/apc and then lock it with the AA missles. The pilot was usually so busy lining up on the tank that they would pop the flares too early or not at all. Two shots later, they were a smoldering crater in the ground. I actually gained my ground to air combat ribbon this way and made the enemy air power very nervous.
              Chris: Dad, I tried to go to school but this guy won't let me.
              Peter: Oh yeah? Him and what army?
              Chris: The U.S. Army.
              Peter: Oh, that's a good army.

Family Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Phrag
                I would go prone near a AA site (you know. the thing with the missles that used to be a death trap before the patch) but not hop in it until I was ready.

Good point. I've spent alot oftime in stationary AA, and often see people in it, waiting for something to pass by. This is a bad idea, any decent jet will blow you away with their guns in no time, and you are wasting tickets. Especially on maps with jets, I never do this. Instead it is much better to wait until someone spots a chopper/plane or you see one yourself. Now wait till the chopper/plane starts its attack run, then lock on to him, before he reaches his target. The idea is to get a lock on him exactly at the moment when he has started his run and cannot break away to engage you. Then shoot the plane in the back or the chopper in the side.

Furthermore, often when I am doing this, possibly on SL orders, a sm or anotherplayer while run up and get in the AA right in front of me, leaving me sitting there in vain, at risk of being taken out by the same air to ground attack that will take him out. So if you see someone near the AA, hiding, do NOT waste his time.

And for squadleaders;
                when you order someone to take the AA, make sure he knows not to sit in it the whole time. If he doesn't, explain it to him.

If this is performed well (I have the flag on daliant plant in mind with the AA on the waterfront, wich is always a prime target when you use it), just one guy can harras a chopper enough to make it nearly impossible for him to engage other ground targets, and he will be totally exposed to your choppers. A good AA gunner on this position in dalian plant can really annoy the entire airforce of the opfor.

After a few minutes though, most of the airpower will avoid you. But then that's good too, albeit less fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl
                  Good point. I've spent alot oftime in stationary AA, and often see people in it, waiting for something to pass by. This is a bad idea.
                  I agree. You also have a much greater field of vision when not sitting in the AA.

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah, all that info is good and whatnot but you could always do the simple thing.

Coax (bribe) an equal or better pilot to join your team. :row__593:
                    |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
                      Yeah yeah yeah, all that info is good and whatnot but you could always do the simple thing.

Coax (bribe) an equal or better pilot to join your team.
                      [End blatant begging for food rewards. :row__593:]

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      |TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper

Coax (bribe) an equal or better pilot to join your team. :row__593:
                        Here's my sign " Will work for enough money to bribe DV to join my team " :D

It seems I've come up a little short will you take an I.O.U DV?
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X