REAL Combat idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAL Combat idea

I'm always thinking about the game. New tactics, strategies, etc.

This one idea has been bouncing around my head for a couple of days. It might be a little far-fetched, but from one idea comes others, so I'll throw it out to you:

Real Combat. One war, one life. No re-spawning. A small map, 15 or so on each side, and when your dead, your dead. I think you should allow revives, but that's it. It would make for some nail-biting action, I think. The idea may have a ton of problems I haven't thought of, of course. Its something that could be at least tried for kicks.

I envision a lot of caution, slower movement, a lot of medics, of course. In other words, REAL combat situations. If your one AT guy gets wasted, everyone's heart sinks. . .we can't stop their armor now. Things like that.

On one hand, I'm afraid the fight would be over in ten seconds with one guy left. Or, it could turn into a bide boring game of hide and seek.

On the other hand, both sides might learn to move slowly, get one kill at a time b/c now KILLS MEAN SOMETHING. Flags are one thing, but eliminating the enemy means more.

Just a thought. Might be fun.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    -Plato

Re: REAL Combat idea

This sounds cooler than it is. It is pretty much what the tactical mod does, and its pretty much how counter-strike plays.

Basically leads to lots of waiting around and not playing.

Comment

Sounds like Ghost Recon.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I like the discussions on game modes and dynamics. +rep Rooster.

But remember that there are games like this already (rainbow 6, ghost recon, america's army). Do you think playing BF2 with no-spawn will make it different than these other titles?

The only difference I can see is the vehicles.

Comment

i would like to see something drawn from those games OTHER than the spawn system.....
          OBJECTIVES!!!!! not just take this flag, but actually something along the lines of , fight your way into here get into this room.... make your way back here. hell anything other than crashing a flag over and over.... i cant wait for AA

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE
            i would like to see something drawn from those games OTHER than the spawn system.....
            OBJECTIVES!!!!!
            Very good point. I also need something different than "conquest" mod. Objectives would be a VERY nice addition...

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
              I like the discussions on game modes and dynamics. +rep Rooster.

But remember that there are games like this already (rainbow 6, ghost recon, america's army). Do you think playing BF2 with no-spawn will make it different than these other titles?

The only difference I can see is the vehicles.
              Thanks, John.

I only play BF2, so I am unfamiliar with those other game formats. The boredom factor could def. come into play here. Maybe short time limits, small maps could help. But it would lead to a lot of guys sitting around and not fighting, no matter the format.

The big thrill would come from winning and losing, I think. And the few times you are the last guy standing so on etc. But most players would get bored b/c of the nature of the format.

Its sort of like the Sega EA NHL '96 Hockey tournament we thought up all those years ago. . .round robin, double elimination and, if you get knocked out, you get your left thumb cut off. No more Sega. Now that would be thrilling.

Objectives would be cool. . .My favorite is the TV station. A big fight for the TV station is always fun.
              -Plato

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster1
                Its sort of like the Sega EA NHL '96 Hockey tournament we thought up all those years ago. . .round robin, double elimination and, if you get knocked out, you get your left thumb cut off. No more Sega. Now that would be thrilling.
                I heard they were playing this style of Sega tournament in Kabul when the Taliban were in charge.

Comment

OBJECTIVES!!!!! not just take this flag, but actually something along the lines of , fight your way into here get into this room.... make your way back here. hell anything other than crashing a flag over and over.... i cant wait for AA

What about a 10 minute Sharqi wherein the US has to hold the TV station for the duration? That would be mayhem. Claymores and C4 on the stairwell, grenades and AT rockets from the roof, the carnage on the balcony, bodies strewn about the courtyard like so many leaves!

God help me, I do love it so.
                  -George S. Patton
                  -Plato

Comment

objectives would be an amazing addition to BF2, in fact i think BF2 would be perfect for objective based combat.

this is how i see it

some maps would have MEC defending an objective, some would have US defending, and some both would have objectives to defend.

C-4 would be replaced with timed explosives (limit of one per spec ops), timed for 30 seconds, takes 5-10 seconds to set up, and only eng could diffuse it, it would take say..5-7 seconds to diffuse? and possibly the more engs that are working on it it would diffuse faster (could be bad/good idea)

on a 32 player map there would be 5 CPs, 1 allied and 1 resistance (or whatever you want to call them) UCB. then 3 regular CPs towards the center.

spawn points at the UCBs are located a decent distance away from their objectives, aka, an objective would be on the third floor of a building at the UCB and spawn points would be at ground level.

the way i see it, is typical BF2 play but more in depth, there would still be a ticket count, but matches could be ended quite short if an objective destroyed. you would still make use of all the vehicles, (though i think 32 player maps would be a bit small for jets) UCBs would now rely a little bit more heavily on their stationary weapons for defense, and now you might see a squad sneaking behind enemy lines NOT firing on soldiers they see so they can remain hidden.

of course this would require i believe more detailed buildings with multiple rooms multiple stories for some objectives. troops could be parachuting on the roof while others are striking from the ground.

this is just my little dream of combining elements i loved from RTCW and RTCW: ET and BF2. I think it could work and would make teamwork even more heavily relied on (lets face it you wont take an objective by yourself =) )

Comment

I think the addition of role-playing with objectives would REALLY be cool, and could work if done on a private server and scheduled ahead of time.

I really like the idea of having 1 team defend a point and the other team (the entire other team) trying to take it. Could be amazing, and short rounds or long rounds, but thats the point. Maybe have 3 maps in rotation, best out of 3 kinda thing. For example, MEC defends Factory on Kharkand - US must take it. Only unfair part would be vehicles, US would roll in with like 35 tanks/apcs and the round would end in about 2 minutes. But, Im sure rules could be established etc.

Sounds promising for scheduled weekly event?

Comment

You mean something like RTCW: ET! Lot's of different objectives on lots of differing maps there, something like that would be brilliant for BF2.
                        |TG-E1st| India51A

Comment

One interesting game type I saw someone propose is a kind of commander assassination objective. The first team to kill the opposing commander a certain number of times wins. To make things more difficult, you start with no assets, and only gain assets as you capture flags (you can't really remove assets completely, you'd at least need scan).

Comment

Originally posted by Barracuda_Magoo
                            One interesting game type I saw someone propose is a kind of commander assassination objective. The first team to kill the opposing commander a certain number of times wins. To make things more difficult, you start with no assets, and only gain assets as you capture flags (you can't really remove assets completely, you'd at least need scan).
                            This sounds very simliar to an iprovised gametype I used to play with some friends in Halo 2. Before the game starts everyone splits into two teams and each team has a president. The goal is to kill the other teams president. There is only one life per person and no radar (usually no vehicles either). It was usually pretty fun when you could get people to cooperate.
                            AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

Originally posted by Barracuda_Magoo
                              Ya, there was a variant of this in America's Army. I gave up playing that long ago (due to the sitting around issues mentioned above), so someone who is more regular may be able to explain it better. Basically what I remember is that the VIP had to move to each of 3 checkpoints to win, while his team covered and the other tried to get him. Either side could also win by taking out the whole other squad. It was fun, but to work it requires the spawn limitations that make it real hard to learn the game ... one mistake and you're sitting around for the next 5-10 min.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X