Being an Engineer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being an Engineer

Engineer is only class that has 6 'weapons' and anyone in a vehicle and the commander will love an engineer to help out, so some tips and tricks:

Main weapons:

1: USMC and China have a pump action shotgun as their main weapon, this means the shotgun needs a short reload for each shot, which makes you very vulnerable to automatic fire, make sure you got the first shot right!

2: MEC has a semi-automatic shotgun, the Saiga 12 or S12K, which fires 7 shotgun rounds on semi-automatic fire, this gives a much larger margin for error when it comes to the first shot, but the S12K needs 2 shots to kill, whereas the pump actions need only one, so stay mobile and keep firing.

3: All of the Engineer shotsguns, including the Jackhammer have relative low ammo, especially if stay alive for a while, so make sure you use that pistol a lot, and if you see a guy crawling around a corner, try to knife him, every shot saved is a shot that can save you.

4: You are the only class with a shotgun AND grenade, this gives you a deadly combination. If you see a guy behind a corner, flush him out with a grenade, should he run out, you can shoot the bejesus out of him with your shotgun.

5: Whilst the S12K is not very effective at medium ranges, the pump actions can still kill (especially if the target has no body armor) at this range, going prone and zooming in also helps to reduce the deviation of your shots.

6: The pumpactions fire 8 pellets, which is basicly another word for shrapnel bullets, you fire 8 of these bullets with each shot and each pellet does 30 damage, so only half of them have to hit to kill a full health non-bodyarmor player, these pellets really spray a target, so firing multiple times can be effective. The S12K also fires 8 pellets, but those pellets only do 12 damage. The Jackhammer pellets do 15 damage.

Mines:

7: Mines have 1 huge advantage over C4, they dont need to be triggered, they blow up as soon as any vehicle passes over them or very close to it(about the width of a tread of a tank). However, as you all know, any vehicle means ANY including your teammates.

8: Mines, regardless of the target will kill a vehicle when it blows up, ANY vehicle, none can survive a mine blast, including Helo's, so dont go bombard a tank with all your mines, you just need one.

9: Since 1.12 (will be removed again in 1.2 but hey) you can destroy mines with a grenade, the mines will detonate, taking anything in its radius with it. So if you see a tank capturing a flag, get close, lay a mine, drop a grenade and run like hell.

10: When a mine blows up it also does alot of damage to infantry, though its radius is smaller than that of C4, at 7-6m a mine will leave you with around 25-50% of your health, any closer and you will be dead, so the kill radius is about the same as C4, but beyond that its not that much.

11: Laying a mine at the wheel or under a chopper wont detonate it when the chopper moves, sounds weird I know, but if the choppers goes up the mine wont detonate, laying a mine on top of the chopper does work though.

12: A mine has a so-called 'activation time', during this time the mine will not detonate by a vehicle, so throwing a mine in front of a jeep that is 1 second away wont work, I believe the activation time is around 3-5 seconds, so laying a mine on a tank capping a flag wont do it just yet.

13: For some reason, 90% of all the players believe the red skull icon is a powerup or they think its C4 and run over it regardless often destroying themselves, so you need to be careful when laying a mine, a spot where alot of friendlies vehicle come is a bad spot.

14: Mines are best placed at dark spots on roads, as they are much harded spot since they blend in with the color more, a dark blue/grey mine on a bright grey road is a dead giveaway.

15: A good spot for any mine is just on top of a ramp or incline, when the ramp ends and the road goes horizontal again, at that exact spot, move 1 or 2 feet back from the ramp and lay the mine, so its just 1 or 2 feet on the straight road, no tank or apc will be able to see the mine until its too late.

16: Mines do not damage assets at all.

17: You can also lay a trap with a mine. If your tank or APC is badly damage and a whole squad is about to spawn to kill you, move out of the vehicle, lay a mine UNDER the vehicle so they dont see it and kill anyone who might have seen you lay the mine. Then move back and watch as the enemy squad (probably) goes around the vehicle and usually someone else will at the same time take the vehicle, taking himself, the vehicle and that whole squad with him. In 1.12 you can also use a grenade to detonate the mine.

18: Keeping mines invisible is crucial, especially dark grass spots and bushes are perfect spots for it, in conjuction with C4 this is very deadly.

19: Got a tank on a flag but no way to get to him without being shot? See if there is an assault in your squad or an assault kit lying around and pop smoke on that tank, wait for it to spread and lay a mine. You can also use AT to constantly keep that annoying lock tone on a tank, which might cause the driver to deploy smoke himself.

20: A mine wil kill any vehicle within around 3m of the blast, so you can take out multiple if you time it right and place the mine right. Remember, in 1.12 C4 also blows a mine, so a C4 hidden under a mine is C4 + Mine = death to all at 10m or less.

Repairing:

21: Your repair bar is exactly enough to fully repair one asset, after that you'll need to wait a bit for it to fill up or repair a bit slower.

22: Less maximum health = quicker repair, its not the type or amount of armor that decides the repair rate, its the amount of health of the vehicle.

23: In a truck (humvee/vodnik etc) you can also keep repairing the truck if you are in the backseat and you can use your normal weapons, you can repair your truck like you can repair the Blackhawk.

24: If a vehicle is not used for a time and its not at its original spawn point, the game will remove it after a while by slowly destroying it, dont try to repair against this, get in first to stop the destruction, and then get out to repair the damage.

25: More engineers = faster repair.

26: If you are the driver of a vehicle you will autorepair any vehicle close to you, so if you are in a tank as an engineer and the tank next to you is also an engineer, you will constantly repair each other.

27: If a vehicle is on fire, you can still save it, but you have to act quickly.

28: You can repair bridges as well, but keep in mind that you shouldnt just repair a bridge whenever possible, as your team may have destroyed it to funnel the enemy forces elsewhere.

29: Never stand in front or back of the vehicle you are repairing, especially with tanks and apc's, the driver (when shot) will often drive back and you can end up being run over or shot, stay on the side, stay mobile (snipers love repairing engineers).

30: If there are 3 assets that are destroyed, dont go fully repairing them one by one, repair the first one a little bit (say 20%) and then move on to the next, this way all assets can be used again by the commander, you can fully repair them after they are all up and running again.

Other:

31: A commander should always be engineer, that way he can repair his own assets and thus he wont have to get someone else to repair them and he can use supply boxes elsewhere.

32: The Jackhammer fires 7 automatic shotgun rounds, that do a little more damage then the S12K shot, but the Jackhammer is fullauto so you dont need to keep pressing the trigger, you do run out of ammo fast though.

33: The MP7 is bit a weird gun, it is more accurate and more damaging then the other submachineguns, its comparable to the M4, but you run out of ammo amazingly fast, its crazy.

34: Dont punish for running over a mine unless you were intentionally mined by a teammate, not all engineers are good with placing mines.

Hope this helps you engineers out there.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: Being an Engineer

Nice post mang! I was hoping for a guide from Robocop for a while, but this does a good job. Thanks bro!

Comment

before the patch comes out...i have always wanted to try out domino rally with the eng mines...have like an entire team go eng...get some path going and then lit the fuse and watch the destruction. Anyone feel like trying this with me?

btw nice post +rep

also as engineer, we we dont have too many roads to be mined, i usually place a mine or two near the flag and use that when we are losing the flag

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
        31: A commander should always be engineer, that way he can repair his own assets and thus he wont have to get someone else to repair them and he can use supply boxes elsewhere.

While I would dispute this one saying that a commander as a special forces or medic can be quite useful for different reasons while still being in an active command roll, I will say however that yo uare right and they should default to an engineer that way you dont need to seperate a squad or waste supply drops on a mindless task that can be done while your still in the command screen
        "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
        "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Good stuff. When I'm a CO I'm always an engineer and I do go around and repair my own stuff when I can't get anyone to do it. I also mine the crap out of my assets too.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

16: Mines do not damage assets at all.
            Are you sure? About a week ago, my SL kept telling our squad to "mine the enemies assets," and sure enough someone spawned as an engineer and placed mines on the UAV trailer. They stood there and waited a while and asked why nothing was happening. I suggested to through a grenade at it to see if it would make it work, and they replied that it did. Sorry I don't remember the names, but it was my impression that you COULD use mines to destroy assets, but it's just not that great an idea.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
            TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
            ||

Comment

I dropped 5 mines on a UAV to test and dropped a nade on it, I only had to repair one bar (done by the grenade).

BF2142 Names:
              Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
              Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
              Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
              Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Mines around an enemy assets a fun idea if the enemy commander likes buzzing in with a vehicle to repair his stuff
                "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
                "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

I dropped 5 mines on a UAV to test and dropped a nade on it, I only had to repair one bar (done by the grenade).

I never understood why the satellite is tougher than a tank. If only I had a tank made out of the satellite material.

Comment

I have blown up a piece of artillary by putting two mines on it then shooting the mines with a tank, it worked at least twice (the second time someone else put mines on it.) It was a while ago but i am sure it worked on those occassions, maybe the tank shell was an important factor.

Comment

I tried several times, it didnt do any damage, if the UAV is smoking badly then its very possible that its the grenade or shell that takes off that last bar.

BF2142 Names:
                      Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                      Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                      Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                      Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement