Placing Explosives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placing Explosives

Placing explosives is the most important thing when it comes to using them, do it wrong and you'll either get a teamkill or end up being killed.

C4:

C4 has the advantage of you being the only thing that can blow it up (except if you place it on a red fuel barrel or vehicle and that blows up) so you dont have to worry about teammates rushing all over it when laying.
    Downside is ofcourse that it aint smart enough to blow up when the enemy gets close so you'll have to do it yourself.
    A very important thing to know about placing all explosives is that dark spots (not neccesarily shadow) are the best 'open' spot, its very hard to pick out an explosive there, especially if you dont know its there (the enemy wont know, duh) and you're in a moving vehicle.
    The best allround spots for C4 are:

The backside of trees
    Bushes (the best spot, period)
    Patches of grass
    Behind the corner of a wall
    Just behind an object
    Ceilings
    Between crates and stuff like that.
    High spots.

Ok quick review of those:

Backside of trees:

With the backside I mean the following, if the enemy armor comes from the north, lay it on the south side of the tree and vice versa, very simple and invisible to the enemy vehicle. 2 packs on a tree will kill any vehicle if timed right.

Bushes:

THE perfect spot for any and all C4 packs, its completely covered, you just cant see it at all and these bushes (especially on karkand and sharqi hotel flag) are often in the MIDDLE of the road, making them the ideal spot to lay C4. Again 2 packs is all you need.

Patches of grass:

Grass is also a good spot (mostly on chinese maps) as a vehicle will often see the grass from the front and then the grass covers the C4 pretty well. Laying C4 in a water puddle near grass or a darker grass patch is even better. Great thing about this is that grass is just about everywhere.

Behind a corner:

The most simplistic use of C4, tuck it behind a corner and wait for the front of the enemy's vehicle (or head) to stick out and hit the trigger. Make sure its really at the edge of the corner or the collision settings of the game will stop a large part of the damage radius (line of sight). Dont lay it to far or the enemy will see it easily.

Just behind something:

Bricks, concrete pipes, you name it, its still a good spot, but a large part of the blast radius will often get caught by the same object so you'll have to think about where to lay C4 and where there is going to be damage and where there isnt.

Ceilings:

Another great spot as no-one ever looks up, no-one just does, flags like the hotel karkand flag are great for this. Also think about small ledges and stuff like that.

Between crates:

Mostly used on flags its a great hiding spot and leaves for many openings in the blast radius so you'll still get a lot of kills as the radius often just tends to a small bit of the enemy, which is already enough. Just make sure you tuck it between the crates nicely.

High spots:

Think about overhanging signs, the top of brick walls, lightposts, the backside of flag/telephone poles, stuff like that, again no-one really looks there and its still a great spot to lay a pack.

Other:

Holes in the road are also good spots, just dont lay it to much in the center.
    Never lay C4 in the middle of an open road all uncovered and for all to see, the tank will go around it and you wont have a lot of C4 left.

Mines:

Mines are just as easy to hide as C4, but it has a smaller blast radius and only blows up if a vehicles goes over it.
    Some of the above named for C4 can be used for mines, but some are not.
    The best spot for any mine is a good dark spot in the road or a patch of grass.
    A bush might work, but most players generally dont drive over a bush in the middle of a road.
    Laying it just around corners works pretty good too, think a lot about where you would go if drove that vehicle.

A good spot for both mines and C4 is the top of a ramp, go all the way to the top of a ramp, when the road levels again, go a little further and lay the mines or packs, often 2 devided properly across the road is all you need. The vehicle's point of view will be a lot higher then normal since its on a ramp and wont be able to see the explosives in time when the vehicles levels out.

Claymores:

The best spot for all claymores are corners! Simply lay a claymore in a corner facing the direction the street is going from which you just turned. (if you run up a street going north and you turned left (east) then lay a pack just around the corner facing west).
    Claymores have the same a killradius of 10m which is instant, no damage, just a kill.
    Other great spots are patches of grass, forests (lots of trees) and holes or gaps in walls.
    Alleys are true kill spots for your claymores.
    Laying a claymore on top of a ladder is something we all know now, so dont lay it directly on the ladder, just lay it a little left or right from it and let it face the stairs (90 degree turn). A small object (vent or smoke stack) just in front of the ladder makes even better concealment of your claymore.
    Remember, a claymore ONLY blows in the direction you placed it.

Hopes this helps you explosive users out there :)

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: Placing Explosives

Yep. As I learned in JMJ's school of C4 placement, you absolutely have to conceal C4 placement. It's much less useful if the assaulting squad sees it and you kill one guy, only to have 5 more waiting to cap the flag after they come in to cap.
    Beatnik

Comment

I find that C4 on the flag when defending a flag is generally a winner, its makes 1 of your squad members worth 3 attackers at a vital moment (even if its not that well hidden).

What if, when attacking a flag, a squad could have a 'flag scout' to call out enemies and C4 on the flag. With the new patch due soon a spec ops 'flag scout' could pick up the defending C4* and thereby nullify the C4 trap. I reckon this is going to add a really interesting dynamic to flag capture, this could become a game of wits between the C4 hider against the C4 finder!
      I'm quite looking forward to testing out this tactic.

* in next patch friendly spec ops can pick up enemies C4, similar to the way friendly engineers can pick up enemy mines

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
        Yep. As I learned in JMJ's school of C4 placement, you absolutely have to conceal C4 placement. It's much less useful if the assaulting squad sees it and you kill one guy, only to have 5 more waiting to cap the flag after they come in to cap.
        ...and I learnt the same from you. Blowing up your mentor is always satisfying.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
        |TG-2nd|munchkin
        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

You can also put c4 "under" stones. If the stone is large enough you can put a c4 under it, perfect spot. (Im playing on graphics=low. if this does not work with higher graphics please notify me)

Comment

Please, If people have to place claymores on the op of ladders, always place them faced AWAY from the ladder. That way a teammate can look over the ladder to check for claymores without getting his head blown off. Enemys will still not be able to climb up, although they might see it and turn back. Still, this is better then a teamkill.

So please no one ever again place a claymore towards a ladder.

Comment

The great secret of C4 is its big blast radius. Shaqari Pen. you put 5 packs on the wall to city entrance and no matter who enters that road area, they die. The wall is quite far away from the road, but it still reaches it.

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver
                I find that C4 on the flag when defending a flag is generally a winner, its makes 1 of your squad members worth 3 attackers at a vital moment (even if its not that well hidden).

What if, when attacking a flag, a squad could have a 'flag scout' to call out enemies and C4 on the flag. With the new patch due soon a spec ops 'flag scout' could pick up the defending C4* and thereby nullify the C4 trap. I reckon this is going to add a really interesting dynamic to flag capture, this could become a game of wits between the C4 hider against the C4 finder!
                I'm quite looking forward to testing out this tactic.

* in next patch friendly spec ops can pick up enemies C4, similar to the way friendly engineers can pick up enemy mines
                EA said they arent including it in the next patch as it was not working the way they wanted it too.

It cant be stressed enough that a simple object can completely nullify the blast of the c4. When laying c4 (especially around the flag, if trying to conceal it.) make sure each part of the flag radius is covered by your 5 charges. I have seen and experienced a few times when trying to turn the flag the c4 around me or the other guy capping the flag has gone off only to leave us completely deaf and still turning the flag.

Ceilings are great though if I read correctly what they are trying to do with the patch then after 1.2 it will be difficult as they are eliminating the c4 jump toss.

My favorite is placing c4 on the window airconditioners.

Also when assaulting a flag and you kill a defending spec ops pick up his kit and voila you have already set up defense or you can detonate it and take out defenders.

Comment

Unless of course you work the following tactic (which is a great squad killer):

2 spec ops in your team. 1 places his c4 in badly concealed positions, the other in decent concealed positions. The trick here is to lay no more than 5 total so you have to concentrate it near the flag. I usually do 4 hidden, and then 1 right by the flag from the second guy.

First guy goes in and the open one is blown. Medic goes into revive, and then the squad piles on the flag. Spec Ops #2 then kills the squad.

It's very satisfying :)

Comment

Redundant C4 is a thing of beauty. I've only had occassion to use it a few times (at the TV station at Sharqi mostly), but giving an assualting squad a good One-Two of C4 will make them think twice on their next assault.
                    Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl
                      Please, If people have to place claymores on the op of ladders, always place them faced AWAY from the ladder. That way a teammate can look over the ladder to check for claymores without getting his head blown off. Enemys will still not be able to climb up, although they might see it and turn back. Still, this is better then a teamkill.

So please no one ever again place a claymore towards a ladder.

Teammates should have been able to see the red symbol of death as they were climbing up the ladder...

Also if the claymore is facing the ladder you still have the ability friend or foe to peek over the lip and look around... you just have to be Real careful after that about going back down the ladder as you may trip the explosive by nudgeing yourself up before going back down...

When I set claymores I actually prefer to set one to the left or right of the top of a ladder... friends should be able to se3e the symbol of red death... enemys are less likly to scan and find the claymore...
                      "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
                      "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

I hate to give away my favorite secrets, but I bet most of you know this one anyway.

My favorite C4 spot in all the land is above the elevator doors at the TV station. I place one out in the open on the balcony. enemy can see that one, and they all crowd into the elevator room.

Then elevator room go boom boom.
                        Only the dead have seen the end of war.
                        -Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                          Redundant C4 is a thing of beauty. I've only had occassion to use it a few times (at the TV station at Sharqi mostly), but giving an assualting squad a good One-Two of C4 will make them think twice on their next assault.
                          Wulfyn showed me/taught me this in one of my first scrims.. I was most pleased at how consistantly effective it was.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                            ...Laying a claymore on top of a ladder is something we all know now, so dont lay it directly on the ladder...
                            Buck = noob
                            You say this like there is a way to counter-act it. I have not found a way to get past a ladder that has a claymore pointed at the top of it. Am I missing something? I know you could just have 2 people assault the ladder and only the first would die, but you'd have those same results from placing the claymore to the left or right also, I would assume.

Comment

You need to place the claymore out of direct sight of the ladder (the most obvious spots simply put) but keep the claymore facing the ladder or near it.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                              BF2142 Names:
                              Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                              Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                              Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                              Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement