SF: Teargas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF: Teargas

One of the few used new weapons of SF, which is weird to me as I use it a lot and helps great, so some tips for the guys who are new to this weapon:

1: It comes with the Support kit, this is best kit it could have been given too, allowing a support to both provide a line of fire and smoke out enemies.

2: Since it comes with the Support kit you'll never run out of ammo for this thing.

3: The teargas is fired just like the grenade launcher, however it has 2 very different attributes:

A: The shell bounces quite a lot, 1 major first jump and some small jumps after that, the first allowing you to easily fire around corners and into hideouts.
    B: The shell, no matter what, will disperse the gas after 3 seconds, so firing it high up wont do much.

4: The teargas causes severe turning and twisting of your vision when affected, you'll also cough a lot which muffles out a lot of sounds, you cant see the UAV or anything else on the map and you cant run either.

5: The duration of the gas depends on how long you stay near the gas cloud, if you just touched it a little bit and ran away the effect lasts for about 10 seconds, if you stay 5 seconds in the cloud it will be 15 seconds. Also note you can fire another teargas shell before the first one has died out.

6: The teargas also works as a great smoke grenade, it blocks out all view and when you turn on your gas mask you'll also be the only one who comes out of it (at first) without being affected.

7: Teargas works aslong as it comes in physical contant with your body, so a car wont protect you, an APC or Tank will.

8: Using multiple teargas shells at once in your team can allow you to cover a large area, but block your view as well.

9: The gas spreads out just a little less then a normal smoke grenade but lasts longer.

10: Teargas is a great flag weapon, a squad on a flag probably wont see it coming and they will be sitting ducks.

11: No one ever uses their gasmasks, mainly since it only protects against a weapon that is rarely used, use this to your advantage.

12: If you fire further, the shell will be in the air longer and then those 3 seconds will help prevent the shell from bouncing away off a distant target.

13: Putting your gasmask on even when affected will still help you prevent staying affected longer.

14: A gasmask and a flashbang wrapped together is ultimate doom to all, coordinate your attack with an assault and that flag is yours.

15: If you are affected and got in a vehicle, you'll still be affected but you can drive around the vehicle. (flashbang + teargas + FAV = ride of terror)

16: This weapon is awesome in indoor fighting, like the Palace on Warlord, simple fire it around a corner and wait for it to spread, a defense and a smoke grenade in one.

17: This weapon is also very good at taking out people that are just 1 or 2 stories up as the shell will bounce off the ceiling.

18: Dont carry this around as your main weapon, stick with your LMG and switch to your Teargas gun when you need to, not the other way around.

19: You got 3 teargas shell you can fire, 1 in the tube and 2 spares, this prevents one from completely gassing a flag to death but also prevents you from having to grab the ammo bag for each shell.

20: Its still wise to load up on teargas with ammo when you fired it, it prevents you from having to do it later in a worse situation.

21: Yes, you can gas yourself and no, firing directly at the ground wont spread it there, it will bounce up high first, often meaning you'll die before it spreads.

Now go gas people :)

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: SF: Teargas

Nothing I didn't know, but this should be really helpful for new people. Especially the whole "put on your gas mask even if you're affected" thing because I bet lots of people figure it's too late.

Comment

Thats awesome. Makes me wish I had picked up SF the other day. Dammit. :)

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Also, works great at night. Makes the other guys have to choose between darkness or blurry vision.

Comment

Yeah, it's nice to force someone to go out of night vision, but when you really think about it, they're either inside the teargas (in which case they can't see no matter if they have NV on or not) or they're outside the teargas (in which case they don't need to put their mask on, so they can use NV).

Comment

One of my favorite uses is gassing enemy snipers. Even if they've got their mask on, they're not going to be able to shoot anything. A specific situation I've found this helpful in is when you're at the Palace Security flag (Warlord) and the enemy has lots of snipers and MG's on the roof of the palace. The roof of the TV station (or any roof) are also common targets. Even if you don't have the range to hit the players themselves, you can still obscure their view with a well "timed" shot between you and them.

I also like shooting gas at enemy tanks and APC's, though this is mostly just because the support class doesn't have anything else to use against a tank :P You could always get lucky and block the drivers vision, maybe even allowing a friendly to get some C4 on it.

Comment

Teargas is my favorite thing about SF, but there are some things you must know to truly be good with teargas. Teargas is like a tracer, enemies can see where it comes from (but not too well in the dark). If you're an SL, or you are trying to be sneaky, don't use it. Teargas is innacurate regardless of whether you are prone or moving so always fire more to the side of a close obstacle than you intend or you may have a canister bouncing back at you. Use you minimap before firing (wish more bomer pilots would) as gas affects friend or foe. Gas kills FPS for lower-end computers so if your squadmates have low-end systems, use gas sparingly. Gas affects people in open vehicles, including blackhawks. Using gas at chokepoints will kill the rush of anyone in open vehicles. Always reload after you fire, and avoid firing the last round before getting more ammo.

I disagree with the statment about never running with gas out. In SF, a squad must move in a pretty tight group. Since the machine gun is useless while moving, that quick gas shot can give your squad a major edge. This is not the case if expecting CQB, however.

Gas, IMO, completely changes the role of the support class. As it is a pointer, it is often better left in the hands of a squad member rather than a squad leader. Also, it is even more imperative for the support class to find a strong position and go prone. Drop ammo packs in cover (not right under you) so you can fire two rounds, while reloading you can be full again.... if you lay 5 packs out, you can fire 13-14 rounds one after the other. When defending a choke point this is key. The 1-2-3 punch of gas-nades-machine gun is amazing. If the enemy runs through the gas, they get naded to hell, and then get torn up by the best short range weapon in the game. Support becomes a much more powerful class with gas.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thierry]
                13: Putting your gasmask on even when affected will still help you prevent staying affected longer.
                [QUOTE]

Not strictly correct, at least in my experience in real life. Because of the constriction of having a gas mask fitted tightly to your face, you sweat more and this exacerbates the effect of the gas. Believe me, after being caught like this several times during the riots in Northern Ireland in the early 70's, we usually left our masks off and got on with the job in hand without them.
                |TG-E1st| India51A

Comment

In real life maybe not, but in the game it prevents further affection of the gas.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement