High Ping = Hard to hit AA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Ping = Hard to hit AA?

Few days ago I was practicing on a empty server with another decent F-18 pilot with my Mig-29 on operation cleansweep. Many times I have caught him in the sweetspot for a missile hit whether it's changing direction or that very point of a 180 vertical turn. but for some reason I cannot shoot him down and missile just closely went by... I have heard of the rumous of high ping = less missile hit and I want to verify if it is true with everyone ( I had 120ms, he had 40ms)

Ed

[cross][conduct]
    Remember: "Eddie Chiang is always cooler than the other side of your pillow."

Re: High Ping = Hard to hit AA?

how many of these high ping/lag posts are we gonna have. Lets try and keep them together
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by ed_chiang11
      I have heard of the rumous of high ping = less missile hit and I want to verify if it is true with everyone ( I had 120ms, he had 40ms)
      I think that it is true. When I was tweaking AA missiles for Tactical Mod I had a friend help me test them on my local server. There's a setting for missiles called 'tracking delay'. I assume this is the delay between when a heat source turns and when the missile turns to follow it. At the default setting (0.2) it appeared that I was able to get direct hits on the enemy jet (~50ms ping) slightly more than he was on me (0ms ping). When I lowered this setting it became more and more obvious that I had an advantage with the AA missiles because of my low ping. When 'tracking delay' was set to 0, I could hit the enemy jet in all but the very tightest turns, but he could only hit me slightly better than normal.

Comment

That sucks. So unfair. poorly coded seems to me.

Comment

I always wondered about that. Anyone know why the server wouldn't be in complete control of the AA tracking to reduce this problem?

Comment

If EA simply added a very small proximity fuse to the missile then it would never bounce IF it got close to the plane, if it bounced earlier on, it would find another target.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
            BF2142 Names:
            Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
            Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
            Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
            Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

I was having a similar problem the other night but it was with AT missles that would fly though tanks and APCs. It was annpying until I started to unintentionally kill guys that were hiding on the other side. Then it was just funny because they had no idea how an emeny missle just flew out the side of their allied tank.

My ping is weird because of the cable circuit I am on and the way my home network is set up. I usually will ping a server with 60-70ms, then jump to 120ms, then >200-300, then back down to 60-70. I gotta get me some DSL.
              Chris: Dad, I tried to go to school but this guy won't let me.
              Peter: Oh yeah? Him and what army?
              Chris: The U.S. Army.
              Peter: Oh, that's a good army.

Family Guy

Comment

I think this is really true here, i'm pretty good with the AA (before patch). But on TG I almost never get hits with my 150 ping- let alone hitting an aircraft, but that probably due to the quality of jetpilots too..

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X