X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not liking the "driving about running ppl over" stuff in Tac Mod

Hey grunts and ghoulies...

Just want some thoughts on what the point of the tac mod is if some members insist on grabbing jeeps on infantry-heavy maps, and doing their best to put crossing guards nationwide out of business....

Now I'll be the first to say if there's an advantage, use it. In the heat of fire, if the kill can be gotten, go for it-and I've CERTAINLY ran people over before, BUT

That's different than merely spawning, grabbing a jeep and driving about like the furies to run people over. Strikes me as foolish, kinda silly and really not in keeping with the point of the Tac mod.

I know there's some well know "holiday-nick" members using this tactic, and I'm wondering if I'm just being sore grapes with tire marks on my back, or if others have noticed this bit of nonsense, and would call it such. On this last map, there was a significant lead on the part of the team using this method-no ticket bleed either, so I really thought this was kinda stupid. Maybe I just need to be more aware, but I'm usually pretty laid back about stuff like this, and this just p'o'd me no end...

Thoughts or opining welcome here.
    |TG-1stMIP|Canuck

[defense][tg-c1]

Re: Not liking the "driving about running ppl over" stuff in Tac Mod

I would classify that as immature and immature behavior is not tolerated on our servers. Please contact an admin on TS at the time, or send a PM to an admin with names after the fact.

That is, if the persons were just driving around mindlessly trying to run people over and not hitting people on the way to their destination.. There is a difference, ya know?
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

I noticed it tonight on the last map I played adu? or whatever, it was quite irritating, I was busy trying to shoot the driver, luckly never got ran over.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
        I would classify that as immature and immature behavior is not tolerated on our servers. Please contact an admin on TS at the time, or send a PM to an admin with names after the fact.

That is, if the persons were just driving around mindlessly trying to run people over and not hitting people on the way to their destination.. There is a difference, ya know?

Absolutely-as I said, I can understand it happening, and I've done it before. But this appeared to be a circling and driving and running folks over. I'll give the person in question the benefit of the doubt, and next time, as you mentioned, I'll grab an admin if it's over the top. Thanks Perry.
        |TG-1stMIP|Canuck

[defense][tg-c1]

Comment

First of all the holiday nick thing was a bit of a clue and probably wasnt needed, but thats a different story. Ill put the story to rest with the facts.

My squad was up at the north base and nothing was going on, and I had a jeep. I was just driving around for recon up there, and then beatnik told me to go south and do any recon i could to help other squads and then relay it to the CO. I drove down there, saw 1-2 squads assaulting the mosque, and told my squad. I did happen to run over 3 people, but it was kind of difficult not to with the amount of enemy there. I eventually did get shot down by something as i was trying to get out of dodge, though. In tac mod where you have no scan, buggies are the best way to get recon, and if you see enemies in front of you while doing your recon, you might as well do some harm in the short time you're there.

Comment

I agree with Santa - I don't think it's such a big deal. I think we need a clear definition of this from the admins, because I'm still unclear as to what's okay and what's not as far as running people over is concerned.

Comment

I think it's rather simple. If you're going from A to B, and on the way happen to run someone over - it's all good. When you take a jeep and start running figure eights, aiming for people - it's all bad. There were plenty of Jihad jeeps tonight, also. Now that's a questionable tactic.

Comment

I'm on the roadkill is good side for this one. It doesen't get more real than a roadkill.
                --
                VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

It's easy to dodge a jeep coming at you and you probably shouldn't be standing in the middle of a road in the first place =/. One thing that pisses me off though is every time a jeep is coming at me full speed, every time I shoot right at it with an AT missile, it goes right thru it, never ever kills the damn jeep.

Comment

Hmm. Well we can forget the standing in the middle of the road thing. I don't do that, ever. I don't think "dodging" a jeep moving at (in game terms) 45-55 mph an easy thing to do, but I guess that's beside the point here. Must be my slow reactions.....that's it....naw.

I was in the bushes by the side of the building in the middle of a firefight, in I believe all 3 times. My complaint was that I was seeing this 'recon' in the middle of a firefight. It wasn't on the approach to a position, it was smack in the middle of an urban firefight. But hell, I guess if you've the cohones to man the thing in the middle of the fight and drive like that you deserve all the incidental kills you get....

and if recon was done by circling the block repeatedly, then I guess the point is made. Recon was the reason, and it was the occasional drive by run down. That others noticed it strikes me as odd....but the intent is I suppose everything, and I have to give the nod to Santa for responding, because it was him doing it. As to the 'nick' thing- I can't call you on something when it pertains to intent, but I can't get you to respond unless I allude, in rather specific terms, to who it was I thought was doing it. If your nick was |TG|valentine, say, and you WEREN'T driving jeeps in circles last night on the Abu map, then I suppose you wouldn't have responded. Ultimately thanks for responding, it was polite of ya.

-Sure buggies are a great way to recon, and there's a need for it since there are no 'eyes in the sky'. If they were incidental drive by rundowns, then I guess I stand corrected. I'll be more watchful in the future. As I said, intent is everything, I guess. The game allows you to do things that sidesteps realism and I suppose if I got revived even once with defrib paddles from a headshot I can't complain.

Besides which, as I said, might well have been more of a case of me being 'sour grapes'. I notice death more when it forces me to respawn sometime next week.

Might just start doing some 'recon' (grin) of my own then I guess rather than bellyache here. Cheers!
                    Last edited by canuck64; 02-27-2006, 03:28 AM.
                    |TG-1stMIP|Canuck

[defense][tg-c1]

Comment

Santa got me last night with a buggy. He came out of nowhere. I was on the beach sniping with my M16 into the River Fortification trying to take the flag. I never heard him coming but when I saw the front tires crest the top of the dune I knew it was on. I got up and tried to avoid him but in the end I got run over.

I'm assuming he was ordered or asked to scout me out because I sniped a good 3-5 people before anyone came looking for me from a good way off. He could've parked the buggy and snuck up to engage me but decided to run me down.

I don't have a problem with it as long as a person isn't blatently doing figure 8's and using the vehicle as a weapon. I see it as if you are presented with the opportunity go for it, I've also used a buggy to run people down but only when I have a straight line at someone, I won't go chasing them. Meaning, if they aren't in the road or close to it I'm not going to go off the road to get them. Generally the only time I myself ever do it is when I'm enroute to an objective and I happen to come across soldiers in the street.

[volun][drill]
                      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I'm roadkill more often then not, but again if someone is driving "towards" something then I don't see any problems with them using the vehicle to kill me. If they don't, you can be sure I'm tossing nades at them.

The figure 8 killers is not something I support, but them again any assualt should be able to nade them into not doing that anymore.

Comment

Actually, I'm of the opinion that it's entirely too easy to be run over in this game. I can see a buggy coming at me from a mile away, and chances are that no matter what I do I'll get run over. If an enemy is driving a vehicle, all you have to do is have your little toe run over and you're dead. I've even been killed when I was hiding behind the wall of a building, and a vodnik clipped the corner about 5m away. Vehicle came nowhere near me, but through the wonders of bad clipping and programming, I died.

Unless an enemy happens to jump out in front of you while you're motoring along, I view running people over in the same light that I do people pulling out their knife/shock paddles when they know they should use their gun instead.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I saw several instances of people using buggies to 'clear' hilltops for example-- roaring back and forth across a hilltop till the entire squad is killed (or someone gets a lucky shot on the driver). It proved to be a better reason than grenades to make good and sure your squad was spread out and NOT on line.

This would be a tough one to make a ruling on because it does create a situation where a victim has to divine the motivation of the driver.

Here is an example: I'm supposed to go over to a given point to recon. Along the way I run someone over (perhaps without even knowing it). I finish my recon run and turn around and raor back to my start point. Along the way I hit another person. This time I think-- maybe I shoudl go back there and make sure that they're all gone-- or maybe I tell my SL what happened and he orders me to drive back there and make sure it's clear. And so on.....
                            Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

I ran over someone by accident the other night...didn't even know it...and was punished....that ticked me off a bit and I wrote in chat that only noobs punish for accidental tk's
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed