Using transport vehicles as defensive weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using transport vehicles as defensive weapons

Too often, especially on 16 and 32 player maps where vehicles are scarce, a squad I'm in that's been ordered to attack a point over 250m away is forced to walk because people insist on using vehicles and APCs explicitly for their guns, without realizing the intended use of these. So I'm wondering, is there any kind of protocol or rule in place for use of APCs and such? Let's say there's a squad of six ordered to attack a far away point, but the APC is being used by one person to defend a base or drive around aimlessly or whatever. Is there any rule or protocol for the use of these assets, or should I just suffer through and curse under my breath for the rest of the round :D ?

Re: Using transport vehicles as defensive weapons

I don't think there are any rules or protocols. Your best bet would probably be to talk to the CO and have him reassign the vehicle(s) if he saw fit. Without a CO, I guess you could try to talk to the other squad via text chat, although that's usually quite unreliable.

Comment

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I definitely grab HUMVEES etc. for their mounted guns when the opportunity arises. Seems foolish not too.

That said, it's a team asset and like anything else if the SL or CO wants it deployed elsewhere no problem. It sucks to be dismounted infantry sometimes, but sucks more when your whole squad gets wiped out by an AT shot to the vehicle carrying you! ;)

This may not apply because it's a 64 player map, but last night I was on a squad that ended up with 5 APCs and we were primarily on defense. It was around 23:00EST, Dragon Valley, USMC, Hotel squad led by [TG] NameTag. I thought NameTag was doing a great job of tasking us out to assist other squads with our wealth of hardware, pulling us back to defense when required. (Even with that h/w we had a tough time keeping the 33rd off the flag!)

Anyway, point is as long as the assets are being used to team benefit, than sometimes a squad has to put up with some hardship.

Cheers.

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
      if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

if i was manning a jeep's 50 and 4 people walked over to it and got in, i'd get the idea and "hop out!". ;)

Comment

This is where proximity-based VOIP is needed...or multi-channel TeamSpeak!
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
            I really wish there was proximity-based VOIP. I'd love to be able to laugh at people right before I knife them. It could get quite annoying with pubbys when they start to brag as they teabag your corpse though.
            AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

If I'm using a 50 cal to defend (which I like to do) and a name of repute enters the vehicle and uses the commo-rose "Bail Out!" phrase, I would assume they need the vehicle for transportation and hop out. If I had a reason not to relenquish the vehicle (unlikely) I would relay to the squad through the CO. Try it the next time you need a vehicle for distance travel - just hop in a vehicle where a TG member is manning the gun and say "Bail Out!"... Bet they clear out for you. Just don't abuse it.

Kisses!
              Sassy
              [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
              [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                That would be truly great. The ultimate taunt.

yoehoee im over heeere catch me if you can!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                  if i was manning a jeep's 50 and 4 people walked over to it and got in, i'd get the idea and "hop out!". ;)
                  That seems pretty democratic...4 vs 1. Although, I'm sure the .50Cal must be worth a few votes... :)

Cheers.

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                  if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Honestly I'm kind of on the fence with this one.

Because I've used a vehicle to defend but I've also hopped in a vehicle used it for what I wanted to and then abandoned it for the next guy. I've also hopped in a vehicle than was approached by several friendly units who wanted to use it and gave it up no questions asked. I also like you know what its like to approach a flag to see it defended by a tank and two AA vehicles and found myself frustrated because I was unable to do anything.

But, I prefer my feet as opposed to a vehicle. Its easier to get to your objective undetected on foot than in a vehicle.

[volun][drill]
                    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

BF2 is the only place where you dont have to worry about the gas prices when making the decision whether to walk or drive. So I am always willing to give up the vehicle to those wishing to drive to their next destination. Im sure those down under are happy to walk seeing how its a lot nicer down there than it is here.

Comment

Originally posted by millipede777
                        I really wish there was proximity-based VOIP. I'd love to be able to laugh at people right before I knife them. It could get quite annoying with pubbys when they start to brag as they teabag your corpse though.
                        I'm sure it would be somehow team-only if for no other reason that to prevent stuff like laughing and taunting.

Also, I'd think there are better uses than that. The one that comes to mind is to tell people to join jet squads if they want to fly.

Comment

When I am ordered to defend a position, I'll grab every asset available to help my squad accomplish that task. I want my squad to succeed. I cannot be aware of what the orders are to the other SLs. If asked to give up an asset by the CO, I would do it.

On the flip-side, if I need to move out but another squad has a vehicle on defense, I just move out on foot. Its their vehicle, not mine. In extreme cases, one could ask the CO for some help. But, short of that, first come, first served.
                          Only the dead have seen the end of war.
                          -Plato

Comment

Originally posted by FishRoy
                            I'm sure it would be somehow team-only if for no other reason that to prevent stuff like laughing and taunting.

Also, I'd think there are better uses than that. The one that comes to mind is to tell people to join jet squads if they want to fly.
                            Man, the immersion effect created by proximity-based VOIP would be fantastic. It is inevitable that it will be in games. I can't wait for it.

When Quake (the first one) was in development, there was talk of this being part of the game. I was very disappointed when they dropped it as a feature. But then, Quake was miles away from the game I was hoping to get, so I didn't care.
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                              Man, the immersion effect created by proximity-based VOIP would be fantastic. It is inevitable that it will be in games. I can't wait for it.
                              From what little i know of the game, RO will have this ;)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X