Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patience

    I saw one of my commrades standing behind a wall at the central front on Songhua lobbing hand grenades at the enemy APC that was taking the flag.

    "Patience" I said, "wait for the flag to turn, and he'll leave. Then we recap!"

    It was, of course, too late. The APC knew we were there and stayed to defend after he capped the flag.

    My point: In some cases, let the flag fall and the enemy clear out. Then you can recap. Don't give away your position if you're outnumbered or outgunned. There's a lot you can do without fighting:

    1) Spot the enemy
    2) Request UAV, arty
    3) If the enemy departs, give numbers and direction to SL/CO
    4) If the enemy stays to defend, see # 1-2.
    5) Watch the skies for the enemy UAV. If you see it, try to move out of range and come back in 30 seconds.

    Evaluate the tactical situation. You are more useful alive than dead.

    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: The above tactic is not intended for all situations. Yes, there are times its better to try another tactic. Yes, sometimes hiding wont be the best idea. AND Yes, TYCHO, I know you could have rushed that flag and blown up the APC with your shock paddles.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    -Plato

  • #2
    Re: Patience

    +rep.

    Grenades do .5 bars of health damage to armor. You'd need 40 grenades to take out a tank. Now I suppose in some alternate BF2 universe assault guys carry 40 grenades and tank drivers are dumb enough to sit there for a half hour, but in this world you'd be more effective grenading yourself and respawning somewhere else. Better yet, save your grenade, the ticket, and hide.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Patience

      This applies to so many situations.

      How many times have I gottent o the crest of a hill, seen an enemy squad below moving away from my objective and dropped prone, only to have someone else drop down next to me and light them up. GAR! They aren't bothering you---- spot them and move on!

      Or driving a buggy and a chopper crosses your field of fire, obviously intent on getting somewhere-- so I keep driving and stick to the low ground in the hopes that he overlooks us. Suddenly someone starts shooting him with the .50. LEAVE HIM ALONE! He's bigger than us and we got someplace to go!

      Or if one more sniper spawns into my squad and starts shooting people when the rest of the squad is out in the open about to start an assault on the objective area I think I'm going to go back and knife the guy myself. Yep-- thanks there 'ubersnipercoolguy' the rest of the squad got cut down because you called attention to us while we were exposed.


      Venting aside: THINK then act. Rember that there are consequences to your actions and that sometimes action is the wrong choice and guile is better.
      Kornkob

      I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Patience

        Originally posted by kornkobcom
        Or driving a buggy and a chopper crosses your field of fire, obviously intent on getting somewhere-- so I keep driving and stick to the low ground in the hopes that he overlooks us. Suddenly someone starts shooting him with the .50. LEAVE HIM ALONE! He's bigger than us and we got someplace to go!
        Agreed on all points but this one. If you have a .50 cal and an attack chopper is in range, you should drop whatever you are doing and put some bullets into that chopper. He's not gonna know where it is coming from without circling back, and then you can use your speed to get out of trouble.

        If you let him go untouched, he is going to slaughter countless infantry and vehicles. If you knock him down just a few bars, he won't get as far before he dies or has to run home.

        The only exception to this rule should be when you absolutely must get to your target location as fast as possible.
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Patience

          Originally posted by icky
          Agreed on all points but this one. If you have a .50 cal and an attack chopper is in range, you should drop whatever you are doing and put some bullets into that chopper. He's not gonna know where it is coming from without circling back, and then you can use your speed to get out of trouble.

          If you let him go untouched, he is going to slaughter countless infantry and vehicles. If you knock him down just a few bars, he won't get as far before he dies or has to run home.

          The only exception to this rule should be when you absolutely must get to your target location as fast as possible.
          agreed - especially since 50-cal bullets shredding your chopper don't make any sound when you're in one :row__735:

          and while were on the subject - please don't use the chopper machine gun to plink-away at an unaware tank or helo... either have some patience and let the TV-missle reload, or have some patience and let the pilot take a shot w/ the rockets. :row__593:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Patience

            The chopper thing: If anything, .50s hitting a chopper will make him drop that nose and evade, or do what I do, just hit "E" the instant the first round hits.

            But Kornkobkom's point is well taken. Its smarter to stay hidden in many circumstances, not just for flag re-capping.
            Only the dead have seen the end of war.
            -Plato

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Patience

              Originally posted by TheRooster1
              The chopper thing: If anything, .50s hitting a chopper will make him drop that nose and evade, or do what I do, just hit "E" the instant the first round hits.
              LOL! That sounds so much like me, but I do it by mistake in the middle of flying things. I've also done it a few times as the chopper gunner.

              "Er... I just jumped out by mistake. Can you come and pick me up?"
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Patience

                I've actually been doing a lot of get in a good position to hide and spot targets lately.

                Especially if I'm SL and arrive at out objective ahead of my squad. Or, if my squad has been spotted and eliminated.

                Although I do admit, sometimes I just don't feel as useful laying on the corner of a building ina bush spotting defenders at a flag when my squad mates are taking casualties.

                +rep for a very good tactic.

                [volun][drill]
                I'm cannon fodder.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Patience

                  I agree with hiding, indeed.

                  Yesterday on Zatar, a new player to the server and I were ordered to take point on central island while the SL hid. As we approached the flag, I saw enemies and hid behind the stone wall next to the flag, while the new guy jumped over and got on the flag. As I saw one of the enemies run toward the heli, I saw my squadmate pop up and heard myself go "NOOOOO!!!!!!" as he opened fire on the heli. It was then, as I saw my team mate fall, that I resigned myself to my fate, lest my head explode first.

                  |TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                  TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                  ||

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Patience

                    .50 cals are by far the deadliest weapon against choppers since for some reason I don't quite understand, they decided to make .50 caliber bullets hitting thick metal (or maybe they're really made out of paper...?) be totally silent.

                    Even with tracers, it's hard as hell to see where you're getting shot from by a .50 cal when flying a chopper, it would have to be right in front of you to see it. On Zatar the best anti-chopper weapon is someone driving around the map in a jeep and shooting at the chopper, cause you're almost impossible to see.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Patience

                      "Er... I just jumped out by mistake. Can you come and pick me up?"
                      This made me smile. I do that so much either through incompetence or panic. :D Boats, APCs, buggys,choppers, whatever.....



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Patience

                        "Rules of Engagement" and "Fire Discipline"... I wish all players playing on our servers knew about these concepts.

                        Well, you can help them out. If you are a SL and organizing an attack, remember to give ROE. Ex. "Squad, target is Hotel, hold your fire and follow my lead".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Patience

                          Originally posted by icky
                          LOL! That sounds so much like me, but I do it by mistake in the middle of flying things. I've also done it a few times as the chopper gunner.

                          "Er... I just jumped out by mistake. Can you come and pick me up?"

                          I've just started flying recently and I still don't remember which button is mapped to "chaff" and "eject" so often my first flight is pretty short indeed! Apologies to my gunners :)


                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X