CO swappin'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO swappin'

when the CO position is unoccupied, would it be un-TG like for an SL to ask a particular SM to quickly jump in the CO chair and drop some supplies, arty, and UAV on his pos, and then return to the squad?

This occurred to me last night when we had the USMC down to one poor SOB remaining. Many times in this situation, the call goes out for someone, anyone, to jump in the CO position to spot the last remaining enemy and end the bug hunt.

Would this tactic be 'cheap' during the middle of the fight?

I am picturing an SL in an APC or jeep asking a passenger SM to go CO, give the squad UAV and Arty support on their objective, then come back to the squad. Or an SL on defense asking an SM to jump in CO and drop some supplies and UAV, then return to the squad.

Is this as bad as swapping squads/SLs for spawning purposes?
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    -Plato

Re: CO swappin'

I think it's not that bad; where swapping a SL to spawn is manipulating the game to do something you would never be able to do normally, hopping into the CO chair to use the assets isn't getting you anything you wouldn't normally have with a commander. I highly suggest, though, that instead of doing it temporarily you take a vow of nonviolence and go commander. The only way to get good is to try! Also the only way to find out you suck is to get your team slaughtered. But it's fun; you can look down on people. And order people around. Except ed_chiang. He doesn't like following my orders because he thinks he knows what's best. Grrr ed. I don't need you defending the hotel!

Sorry I kind of got carried away. Since CO assets take time to recharge unlike SL switching for purposes of spawning, I think it's fine. But my opinion means nothing.

Comment

I would say it is fine. I would prefer if the player would just jump in and stay as CO, but if nobody wants to do it, I don't see this as harmful.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I don't think its looked down upon. But it's not practiced. My feeling is that if you are going to leave the squad to CO for a brief moment for your squads benefit then its better off to stay int he CO position.

Think of the other squads on your team. They may have needed the UAV or supplies or arty on some position but there was no CO to provide it. So, how would it look if you or someone on your squad hopped in for a brief moment to benefit you and your squad to the rest of the team and the other squads?

What I've done in the past is if I notice there is no CO and we really need one I'll ask if anyone wants to go CO. If no one volunteers I'll go. And I'll stay there to provide for everyone.

[volun][drill]
        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I think it's fine as well.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

As SL, I feel too guilty to ask people to sit in the CO chair for the whole war. I have asked SMs to go CO to find the last 1 or 2 enemies, as I stated above.

I have hesitated to use 'tactical COing' as described in this thread. But it looks like an OK tactic, judging by the responses. I think this will come in to play on smaller maps, say 16v16 with 2 squads. No one seems to want to CO in those situations. Although I have, and the team with a good CO can mop up on those smaller maps.

Thanks for the replies.
            -Plato

Comment

However, it does violate the spirit of TG in that part of the deal here is to use the tools at your disposal in a tactical, realistic manner. Swapping in and out of a command position mid-game strikes me as pretty unrealistic-- especially when the guy doign the swapping is 'just' a squaddie.
              Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by kornkobcom
                Swapping in and out of a command position mid-game strikes me as pretty unrealistic-- especially when the guy doign the swapping is 'just' a squaddie.
                Good point, Korn. But what if being CO entails nothing more than opening a laptop? On the modern battlefield, laptops are used to call in airstrikes, re-enforcements etc. If thought of that way, then an SM going CO for a few moments does equate to a grunt going heads down for a few minutes on his lapper to call in arty.

I think this one REALLY straddles the line. Personally, I don't think its bad TG form, but I can see the other side, too.
                -Plato

Comment

Be good if we could get an Admin to make a call.
                  Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Originally posted by kornkobcom
                    Be good if we could get an Admin to make a call.
                    Judging by the lack of Admin response, this is not against the BF2 rules. Conscience be what it may, but be smart about it.

Lucky Shot

Comment

I think the only thing flawed about this issue is the fact that the squaddie uses the CO abilities to assist his Squad, and his only. Meaning other squads get no intel or help. And anyway, since when is Commanding such a chore? If you ask a squad member to go CO, you've essentialy proved the need for one. Think of the other squads, as someone posted earlier. Even if your temp CO relayed intel to them, they'll be pretty vexed when they ask for support, and get that annoying woman telling them there's no CO for their team. Just think of the CO as a kit of it's own: his primary weapons are the radar and UAV, secondary is the Arty, and last - 30 angry soldiers. :)

These are just my thoughts, and they rely heavily on the fact the I LOVE playing CO. Feel free to disregard.

Comment

That was me from the first page. And I too don't understand how COing could be a chore, I love COing.

[volun][drill]
                        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...