1.21 Simple Jet Survival guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.21 Simple Jet Survival guide

I posted this for the irregulars but felt that other new pilots could take a look too since most people will begin to try the Jets with Wulfyn's challenge, for others like DV and Arf feel free to fill in the missinfg facts:

When you are being chased:
    - zig zag continuously if the enemy jet is behind you with a medium range lock
    - pull a hard 180 degrees loop while strafing left/right (meaning you will fly to your left/right corner) when enemy is close behind.
    - drop flares and try to do a 180 turn (hoping you will face your enemy as he gets his solid lock) when enemy jet trying to get a lock on you from distance (lag pursuit). But 80% of the time you will get shot down if you dont have flares and he tries to lock on you from long distance.

* If your are in a F-35B, you have one tiny advantage over the enmy jet (although you have a bad turn radius), you have a FAST roll rate, so you can change directions faster than other jets, even J10, so zig zag a lot if you are in a F-35B

When trying to shoot down enemy Jet (all of my tactics now are worthless after 1.2 so there is only one):
    - get a solid lock on him from a LONG DISTANCE because no matter what moves he do, he will always be in your view (if you are closely following him, you may loose him), fire one missile, why just one? Because new pilots would drop flares when they hear locked on tones, but a good pilot will drop flare when he sees a missile fired. After that fire all missiles if you still have a lock on him, and just go back to reload because 90% of the time, you will kill him.

Taking down Helicopters:
    - first if you see the helicopter, use the cannon and keep a steady fire but you wont be able to kill it the first flyby. After you pass him, turn around while slowing down but keep the speed above 400 (make sure no one is behind you), then you willl lock on the helicopter again, after he dropps the flares you shuold have about 3 more seconds to get a second lock on and finish him off with the missiles.
    - most of the time you can damage a chopper enough for it to go back for repairs. this is a great chance to kill the chopper, you can simply use the cannon on the chopper as it tries to land and maybe drop a bomb on it to make sure you kill it.

Bomber Bombing:
    - Bomber pilots, simply let your gunners do the work and dopr those 5 bombs at 45 degrees on concentrated flags.

Fighter Bombing:
    - PLEASE DROP one bomb at a time! You are MUCH MUCH MORE effective! To do so, drop the 2 bombs you have with you in the begininng, go back and reload only ONE BOMB, drop the the one bomb, go back and reload both bombs, now you are in single fire mode.
    - 45 degrees is the best angle, but you can pretty much attack ground targets from any angle after some practice
    - the one bomb mode will help you eliminate tank or 2 APCs in 30 seconds, 2 bombs will NEVER kill a tank in one shot, first drop your first bomb, the tank will be lightly smoking, then turn aroundm drop a second bomb, the tank will be dead meat.
    - for APC, keep a steady cannon fire as you approach it, after 3 seconds of steady fire, it will lose more than half of its health, then drop one bomb and you will kill it.

Ed

[cross][conduct]
    Remember: "Eddie Chiang is always cooler than the other side of your pillow."

Re: 1.21 Simple Jet Survival guide

Thanks for the guide! It's making me wanna try out flying for once :)

Can you tell me more about how to use the targeting reticule in bombing mode? I mean, what does the vertical line really signify?

Comment

delphi00, to my knowledge, the line is there to look cool.... Bombing requires practice but make sure you map a key on your joystick that allows you to look behind as soon as you drop the bomb. You will improve rather quickly and you will soon be able to get some revenge on Santa, Robocops.. thsoe groundpounders from the air. :P

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

All the line does is show you where the ground is below you. You want to be able to judge how much the bomb will fall when you drop it. If you are going near straight down, you should aim the target in your crosshair. The thing to remember is to keep steady until you actually drop the bomb. If you start to pull up, you will throw off your aim and won't hit. You can also swich between bombing modes by pressing "2".

You should also keep your fire on the target as long as possible with the guns, even if the target doesn't light up anymore as a target: the occupants jumped out and you always kill one or 2 by keeping fire on after they jump out. The bullets have radius blast damage so you can still kill by "spray and pray" tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
          All the line does is show you where the ground is below you. You want to be able to judge how much the bomb will fall when you drop it. If you are going near straight down, you should aim the target in your crosshair. The thing to remember is to keep steady until you actually drop the bomb. If you start to pull up, you will throw off your aim and won't hit. You can also swich between bombing modes by pressing "2".

You should also keep your fire on the target as long as possible with the guns, even if the target doesn't light up anymore as a target: the occupants jumped out and you always kill one or 2 by keeping fire on after they jump out. The bullets have radius blast damage so you can still kill by "spray and pray" tactics.
          HEY BLACK! I flied for so long and i have NO IDEA that i can just switch bombing mode it like that, i will try it as soon as possible!!!!!!

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

You must have changed your controls. Normally, when you are in any vehicle or just an infantry unit, you can swich between firing modes by selecting the weapon again. For example, if you are a spec ops infantry unit, and your gun is firing in single bullet mode and you want to swich to burst mode, you can press 3 the same way you would to bring up the weapon. You have to do it when the gun is equipped though.

Comment

Huh? The F-35 has a terrible roll rate, it's almost as bad as flying a bomber.

Comment

Originally posted by jepzilla
                Huh? The F-35 has a terrible roll rate, it's almost as bad as flying a bomber.
                Jep, i believe you are talking about turning rate which is F-35B's weak spot. After I did a some flying in the F-35B, I find that it can really corkscrew faster than other jet, and for some reason it is most apparent on Dalian Plant

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X