T.V. Missile Reconnaissance Indication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.V. Missile Reconnaissance Indication

We had the USMC pushed back into the sea on Dalian. I was gunning in the Attack Chopper with WhiskeySix flying. I decided to check the new range parameters on the TV missile, as we were just waiting for the enemy to arrive. I lauched at the carrier and fell short by 100m or so, but I learned something: The TV missile makes a GREAT reconnaissance tool.

As the misile approached the carrier, I got an excellent view of who was taking off and in which direction. I could feed the info to my pilot and adjust our hover accordingly.

"OK, Blackhawk taking off heading around to the west. ETA 20 seconds." We would shuffle to the west a little and point the nose in the right direction.

It was a great tool. By the time the choppers got in our range, I was reloaded. I still MISSED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, but I was close.

This tactic would be of great use on Dalian and Oman, and perhaps the large Dragon valley. It could be used anytime, actually, to scout enemy carriers or ground targets. I think its best for getting the drop on enemy choppers as they lift off of carriers.

Next fight, I will try to spot while guiding the missile. I doubt if that will work, though.

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: No, this wont work all the time. Yes, I know picking enemies off the carrier is verboten. Yes, be careful not to launch the missile for reconnaissance purposes when you may need it soon to hit a traget. And, yes TYCHO, I know you would have caught my missle in mid-air with your shock paddles and hurled it back at my chopper and blown up my whole team.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    -Plato

Re: T.V. Missile Reconnaissance Indication

It was more fun when you could nail tanks from halfway across the map on Kubra Dam. ;)
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
      It was more fun when you could nail tanks from halfway across the map on Kubra Dam. ;)
      x2, the new shortened TV missile is kind of a bust. It makes it harder to eliminate tank positions now as they can see you lining up the shot due to the limited movement of the TV missile camera.

I liked it better as well when you could hit a target from across the map. Made it more realistic compared to the way it is now.

Nothing says "I love you." to an enemy tank more than taking it out with a TV missile from 5 miles away.;)

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I agree. I do not see the reason for the nerf in the first place. It wasn't like the BH gun that could shoot through entire maps. It took a great deal of skill to use that TV missile at great range.

Bad nerf, BAD.
        -Plato

Comment

It was a weapon that was deadly effective at range longer than the range of vision. It was a good adjust for balance IMO. You might think it's less fun, but for ground pounders, it is MUCH more fun than it was. If you don't want the tank to get a shot at you.... fly higher and point down.

Great idea about reconaissance tho!

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
            Yeah...it was great when you could fire at a chopper, miss, then have enough travel left to take out a random ground target.
            sigpic

Comment

i think the range should be bumped up a little bit... extend it to viewable range. nothing worse than shooting at a chopper only to have the missle detonate 10m in front of their windshield!

Comment

I agree, I think most weapons should travel the viewable distance.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                  i think the range should be bumped up a little bit... extend it to viewable range. nothing worse than shooting at a chopper only to have the missle detonate 10m in front of their windshield!
                  Agree...maybe even a touch more.

Is anyone firing missles completely from cover, or dropping their helo behind cover while the missle is in flight? This should be one of the key advantage of a guided helo missle...however the whole game seems to happen at essentially point blank ranges so I don't see this much.

Cheers.

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                  if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Whenever I'm flying gunner I usually get pilots who hang far enough back where its hard for the targets to see us so that I can use the TV missile from a semi-safe distance.

But once in a while we do go in hot which makes use of the TV missile difficult and I tend to put them just off target but its usually enough for the splash damage to make them think about jumpiing out of their tank or APC or what have you.

But its rare that I get a chance to use the helos and stuff. If I do I definitely like to be out of immediate danger so I can use the TV missile.

[volun][drill]
                    I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by eGoatBoy
                      Agree...maybe even a touch more.

Is anyone firing missles completely from cover, or dropping their helo behind cover while the missle is in flight?

Cheers.
                      Oh yes. WhiskeySix and I were using the smokestacks at Dalian for cover. The situation was perfect. The USMC was pushed back to the carrier and trying to get back to the land. BUT, I would send TVs out to the carrier and find out who was heading where. WhiskeySix would pop us up over the stacks only for a moment and I would let fly. EXACTLY the way the attack chopper is meant to be used. Stealthy and deadly.
                      -Plato

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster1
                        Oh yes. WhiskeySix and I were using the smokestacks at Dalian for cover. The situation was perfect. The USMC was pushed back to the carrier and trying to get back to the land. BUT, I would send TVs out to the carrier and find out who was heading where. WhiskeySix would pop us up over the stacks only for a moment and I would let fly. EXACTLY the way the attack chopper is meant to be used. Stealthy and deadly.
                        Nice! Good to hear the helo is not just being used as a flying tank.

Cheers.

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                        if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

Yeah, my TV missile guide from a while back recommended reconnasissance with the missiles. Nice to see someone rediscovering my tactics from months ago :D

Comment

Aw, Tycho, that was the sweetest thing you've ever said to me.
                            -Plato

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...