Jet/Chopper Controls/mechanics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet/Chopper Controls/mechanics

I recently got a good stick with twist handle and about 12 buttons.

So I tried out a jet and with a joystick it is much more controllable.

I do have a few questions on the jet controls and joystick setup.

Controls:

My trigger is set to the guns. I have a thumb button set to missles/bombs.

I have a button to switch between missles and bombs.

It also has a throttle control (a slider) but I am thinking about keeping my left hand on the keyboard. I have about 15+ keys on the keyboard that are accessible from my left hand.

What other settings are recommended for the remaining buttons the stick and do u use a keyboard with the stick? I was thinking about having communication controls on the stick but I don't think the game allows for this. Can I set the joystick buttons as secondary choices in Common Controls?

Jet Mechanics:

I was screwing around with the USMC jet f35b?... on Wake and actually slowed over the water between the islands and was able to hover. It was tricky but since I didn't have anyone trying to kill me it wasn't to hard. At what speed with using the F35's hovering do the various jets fall out of the sky. I have seen many times a jet come in for a bombing run and it looks like they slow down to about 10mph. I was practicing and gave it a try but couldn't find the correct speed to stay in the air but go slow enough to feel accurate when bombing. I know their are pilots that can bomb accurately at full speed but I would like to work up to that level.

How much of an airfield/ship do u have to fly over to fill ammo or heal the jet? And does speed of the jet have anything to do with this?

Choppers:

I learned to fly the choppers with the mouse and am OK.. not great but the more I do it the better I get. I tried to use the joystick and was out of control. Almost like I was flying a chopper for the first time again. Does anyone use the stick for choppers? If so, does the "sensetivity" settings in the controls for choppers have any effect on the response of the stick or does this only effect the mouse?

I am sure I'll think of more questions later........
    Meister

Re: Jet/Chopper Controls/mechanics

I have one of my joystick buttons set as a push to talk secondary button and it works. I have everything on the joystick that I need to fly, except for the bail out key ;).

For hovering, I don't believe you can hover like the Marine jet, but you can slow down quite a bit. I never slow down in a jet to bomb, only to land if i'm damaged. The runways are diffrent on all maps, so sometimes you will get fully refuled and rearmed in just one pass, but others you have to take 2. Slowing down the jet lets you make it in one pass. To repair yourself, you get a little repair from flying over the runway, but to get fully repaired you have to land.

For choppers, I also use the joystick, but turning down the sensitivity will help you out. The one problem with new chopper pilots is they try to overcorrect too much so they swing out of control. Try it with lowered sensitivity and just see how steady you can be. The sensitivity has an affect on the joystick.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
      For choppers, I also use the joystick, but turning down the sensitivity will help you out. The one problem with new chopper pilots is they try to overcorrect too much so they swing out of control. Try it with lowered sensitivity and just see how steady you can be. The sensitivity has an affect on the joystick.

I do have the settings for the chopper at very sensetive so I will give this a try.
      Meister

Comment

I never tried a joystick but I can't possibly see how it could be better than kb/mouse for choppers...

Comment

Go into profiles -> Controls

Find this line:
          ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_GIOk IDFMouse IDButton_0 0 0

Copy/paste it and make the second one look something like:
          ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_GIOk IDFGameController_0 IDButton_0 0 1

The above depends on what you're using for a joystick.

That's copy and pasted from another thread and will allow you to spot with the joystick. It makes working with a wingman much easier. With the new AA changes if you're in the F-35 you're really going to have to coordinate with the other players if you want a real chance of survival.

Edit:
          I put the helicopter controls on my joystick and they've been sluggish compared to people who use a mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Any mods required to use mouse/kb for choppers, or do you run with default settings? I have been spending more time in the chopper lately, and I go 100% kb only, but I know there's probably a better way.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I use a stick for flying and can't imagine using a mouse... :)

One tip that might help for flying is (if you have one) set the throttle lever to 'hover'. By this I mean, starting with the helo on the pad, hop in the pilots seat, and slowly increase the throttle until you just barely start to move. It varies per helo, but should be around 30% on the throttle indicator along the left side of the HUD. This way, the helo is more 'neutral' in flight. You can then use WASD to increase or decrease rotor speed as well as rotate left and right.

It does take a lot of practice.. The trick is just to be very aware of which way the helo is drifting laterally... and use slight movements to compensate... if you're drifting to one side, it's easy to accidentally do a barrel-roll the other way if you're not careful.

My joystick has a trigger and 3 thumb keys.

I have trigger = primary
              left thumb = secondary
              middle thumb = switch weapons (missles/bombs in jets)
              right thumb = cockpit cam

Then using programming SW that came w/ the stick (Saitek EVO) I have the joystick-hat-down set to look behind me (and then return to cockpit view on release).

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                Any mods required to use mouse/kb for choppers, or do you run with default settings? I have been spending more time in the chopper lately, and I go 100% kb only, but I know there's probably a better way.
                I like to think of chopper piloting as my other specialty when I'm not leading the ninjas into battle. I've been doing it so much that I consider myself to be an above average chopper pilot.

Keyboard mouse is unbeatable for chopper piloting. If you want to be a good chopper pilot, every sensitivity value including yaw and pitch rates have to be set to max. Then, leave the game, find the sensitivy in your con files and set them even higher, much higher.

Low sensitivity will help new pilots to keep from crashing, but it's not going to make you a good pilot. Same with mouse sensitivity as infantry, higher settings give you twitch speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhack
                  Keyboard mouse is unbeatable for chopper piloting. If you want to be a good chopper pilot, every sensitivity value including yaw and pitch rates have to be set to max. Then, leave the game, find the sensitivy in your con files and set them even higher, much higher.

Low sensitivity will help new pilots to keep from crashing, but it's not going to make you a good pilot. Same with mouse sensitivity as infantry, higher settings give you twitch speed.
                  I already use the chopper with all settings at max. I was unaware that it could be set even more sensitive via con file.

Which con files are adjustable? I looked through the file directory and there are many... don't wanna screw something up
                  Meister

Comment

There's no way you'll fly a chopper nearly as good as someone who uses mouse with only a kb or a joystick. Choppers need very smooth movement and precision. High sensitivity helps too but not too high either. You want to be able to turn fast once you get more experimented so you can dodge missiles and everything else. A good pilot can dodge AT missiles well if he pays attention, can see the puff of smoke and muzzle fire from someone firing an AT missile from very far away.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilrogg
                      There's no way you'll fly a chopper nearly as good as someone who uses mouse with only a kb or a joystick. Choppers need very smooth movement and precision. High sensitivity helps too but not too high either. You want to be able to turn fast once you get more experimented so you can dodge missiles and everything else. A good pilot can dodge AT missiles well if he pays attention, can see the puff of smoke and muzzle fire from someone firing an AT missile from very far away.

:icon_lol: I think what you meant was, there's no way YOU will fly a chopper as good using a joystick ;)

Comment

I thougt the sensitivity setting in heli/plane options were only for the mouse, and had no effect on jostick sesitivity.

Are you guys saying you can + are you really sure of this? If you can alter sensitivity only in con files please tell us how.

Comment

which is why I think stick>mouse... to maintain a constant bank or turn, you just hold stick in one position, while w/ mouse you have to constantly move it...

Comment

My gunner called me a "kick-ass pilot" the other day, so I guess I don't have anything to learn from you guys. :p

(It was hard not to burst out laughing)
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                              which is why I think stick>mouse... to maintain a constant bank or turn, you just hold stick in one position, while w/ mouse you have to constantly move it...
                              That's only required in Jets. With high sensitivity in a chopper you can turn just as fast as w/ a stick but maintain better control.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X