Scenario: One team is down to one flag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario: One team is down to one flag

Do you send every piece of armor/air/infantry you can against it to try and take it?

Do you position your (winning) team on a defensive line, waiting for the enemy to crash into it?

Do you give each squad defend orders on individual flags and wait to see which flag will be assaulted most heavily?

This is an issue I think we should address, as it can prove frustrating for the losing side to not be able to get a foothold. Many times, I have seen this become a stalemate, as it is difficult to take a flag that the entire other team is spawning from. I would like to see a withdrawal once the final flag remains and defensive lines locked down - here's the kicker, pay attention - on maps where loss of that final flag means the losing team is wiped from the map. If there is a UCB for that side, all bets are off because they *do* have an option of where to spawn. But if not, it turns into "spawn-camping", intentionally or not.

Does this mean that the winning side cannot try and take the final flag? No. By all means, go after it *at first*. But if five minutes of constant assault are getting nowhere, for heaven's sake, pull back! Give the losing side a chance to collect its squadmembers together, come up with a strategy, and try and execute SOME response besides spawn-die, spawn-die, spawn-die.

Your thoughts, as usual, most welcome!

Kisses!
    Sassy
    [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
    [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Re: Scenario: One team is down to one flag

I'd put a defensive line around the final flag and if I had a big ticket lead and my defense was holding good I would go for the flag. If I had the big ticket lead, the team would still be OK if they lost some back flags due to the attack.

Comment

why that situation calls for encircle and contract

Comment

The thread "Let Them Bleed!" addressed this topic ad nauseum.

I am partial to containing the enemy and letting them bleed out. If you assault their last flag, your casualties will be heavy and that can negate the bleed advantage. Take defensive positions and let them come to you. Then you have both the bleed and kill advantage.

DISCLAIMER: Oh, of course, Tycho would run in there and kill all enemy troops/armor and disarm the C-4 and claymores on the flag and cap it. . .using only shock paddles.
        Only the dead have seen the end of war.
        -Plato

Comment

If it happens very early in a round- don't take the last flag, pull back; BF2 takes a long time to load a map.

If it happens later in a round, I'd suggest either doing the same or taking the flag. Forming a defensive line that is at good distance from the flag is also what I mean by pulling back.

Comment

Usually I move my squad to wherever I see a hole in our line and sit them there to contain the enemy. I'm certainly not going to let them just collect themselves and attack, but I'm not pressing my advantage either; I see more value in keeping them from getting past our lines than in taking that final flag. Most of the time that I've lost due to having all of my flags capped is when my team was earlier trying to cap their final flag, an no one payed attention to the few guys that slipped by us.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

If I am trying to guarantee victory, I put up a wall of defense and keep mobile people covering every flag, just in case.

If I am recognizing that nobody is going to have any fun in a drawn out game, then I attack and try to end it. I would rather wipe a team out than spend 30 minutes beating on them. And if by doing so, I allow the other team to sneak out, all the better for making the game more fun.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster1
                The thread "Let Them Bleed!" addressed this topic ad nauseum.
                Though the subject is similar, I don't think this thread is quite in the same spirit as the other. I think this one is aimed more toward preserving gameplay, while the other was more about winning strategy. But, that's just my opinion.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                ||

Comment

I would have to go with finish them off. I mean, who thinks the game is fun when they are pushed back to one flag and as soon as they step out of cover, they get pummled.

Comment

agreed... whether it's one flag or two... it still crappy for the team under seige - just push in and try to wipe them off the map... no need to draw it out any longer than it has to be...

Comment

So most people answered the way I figured - just push in and finish it off.

That's the problem though, and the point of my thread. When you push in and try and take the flag from them.. That rarely works. So by trying to end it quickly, you actually aren't. It is not easy for one team spawning from multiple places to overrun another entire team spawning at one place. It turns into a blood bath. Take Sharqi, the TV station scenario that we know so well. In trying to "end it quickly", you will wind up hammering on the opposing side until tickets run down to zero or time is up. Frankly, it blows chunks for the losing side (and probably isn't too thrilling for the winning side either).

Solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by SassyOne
                        So most people answered the way I figured - just push in and finish it off.

That's the problem though, and the point of my thread. When you push in and try and take the flag from them.. That rarely works. So by trying to end it quickly, you actually aren't. It is not easy for one team spawning from multiple places to overrun another entire team spawning at one place. It turns into a blood bath. Take Sharqi, the TV station scenario that we know so well. In trying to "end it quickly", you will wind up hammering on the opposing side until tickets run down to zero or time is up. Frankly, it blows chunks for the losing side (and probably isn't too thrilling for the winning side either).

Solutions?
                        Well I have been on both sides of this scenerio but I don't think there is a solution. We can bang our heads agains the wall and try to figure something out but it won't carry over to the game. There really is no solution. If a CO pulls back and lets the pinned in team collect themselves and they come back and win or make closer than what it should have been then the CO looks bad and no CO wants to do that. If a CO pushes to wipe the opposing team off the map then he's accused of spawn camping? No win situation for CO and what if there is no CO for the winning team. There are just to many variables to account for. Just my two cents
                        sigpic

Comment

If im co in this situation im playing to win....period. I make a good wall of defence and a few people defending each flag. If it no fun for the team with one flag left, guess what ...they shouldnt have let it get to that point to begin with. The competitive part of me finds it very hard to back off and let the other team regroup. Whats the point of using all this great stratagy to get um down to one flag just to give um a chance to win again? I play like this Paton quote "may god have mercy on my enemy because i wont" So the only solution is to not get down to one flag to begin with*wink*
                          This will prolly ruffle some feathers but im willing to bet most of the "euro players" will have a more "lets give them a chance" type attitude were as the americans are more of a "die die die" attitude.

Comment

I agree that there isn't really a solution, and if there were, it would never carry over to the game. So yes, phenom is right, the answer is to not let it get that way in the first place. So maybe COs should place a higher priority on holding 2 flags, and pull back any assaults on a third flag that might be happening if either of those 2 is under heavy assault?

Comment

There's no harm in trying and failing. It isn't worse for the losing team to face an attack than it is for them to face an impenetrable wall. It will also ensure that the game ends faster even if the attacks fail.
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X