Being Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Support

Yeh yeh, its another one of my class guides...Ok here goes.
    Support class has seen a huge change in the latest patch, as the support guns are now very accurate and powerful, but its still a support gun.

The Gun:

1. First off, its a support gun, best used at medium ranges where other rifles dont match up to it. Why EA decided to make the support gun usefull when standing or at 5 feet...I dont know, a support gun should only be useful at medium ranges. (needing time to set up the gun, like in real life).

2. The main guns:

2a. USMC:

M249 SAW:
    Probably gets the prize for being the gun with the coolest sound to start with:

Rate of fire: 900
    Clip size: 200
    Damage per shot: 25
    Accuracy: Med-High

Good points: Strong against cars due to its large clip, can just keep on firing round after round, no need to reload when half the clip has been fired, good at spraying a target.

Bad points: Overheats the most due to the clip size and rate of fire, less accurate then the other guns, constant firing makes it less easy to kill targets, has a distinct sound everyone knows.

Overall its has the most overall damage (200 X 25) and the largest clip, but tends to spray more.

2b.
    RPK-74:
    Definitely gets the prize for owning everything, even at long ranges:

Rate of fire: 600
    Clip size: 130
    Damage per shot: 35
    Accuracy: High

Good points: Basicly a sniper rifle in its accuracy, has the highest damage per shot, it doesnt spray, it hits (a lot), due to its damage per shot, the accuracy is even more deadly.

Bad points: Lowest rate of fire off all the supprt guns (not including the unlocks (PKM has 450 rpm)), has a smaller clip then the SAW, cant really spray a target.

Overall its the deadliest gun, (especially on karkand) due to its high damage and accuracy, the lack of 900 rate of fire and 70 more bullets doesnt weigh up to that. The best gun at the moment.

2c.
    Type-95:
    Basicly the SAW with half the clip and better accuracy:

Rate of fire: 900
    Clip size: 100
    Damage per shot: 25
    Accuracy: High

Good points: The only support gun with high accuracy and 900 rate of fire, its always up against the SAW, so it levels up to it (same damage and rate of fire), higher accuracy then the SAW.

Bad points: Only has 100 bullets but still has the 900 rate of fire, you need to reload a lot (50 bullets left at 900 rpm = reload), the higher accuracy only kicks in at ranges in which the SAW cant hit you a lot, beyond that, the SAW is better.

Overall its just the SAW with 100 bullets less and a bit more accuracy, making it better at longer ranges, but less good up close.

3. The one thing you never ever have to worry about is ammo, just keep firing your gun till judgement day, you got all the bullets and all the ammo. When you fire, they cant run.

4. Your the best class against cars if there are no Anti-Armour classes (engi, AT, spec ops) in your group/squad, you can just fire away at that car like crazy. Grab a SAW or RPK 74 and empty a clip into a Vodnik, youll see what I mean.

5. Even at long ranges, your support gun can still kill, just keep in mind to control your fire.

6. Controlling your fire is very important if you want to hit your target and avoid teamkills.

6a. The best way to fire a support gun is in 10-20 bullet burst, with a 1 sec cooldown between them. This gives the best accuracy and the lowest chance of overheating the gun.

6b. Also, teammates tend to walk up that alley you are defending, sometimes they tend to jump-prone right in front of you even! Best way is to keep a good eye on the UAV, your teammates movement on the minimap and what flags are yours.

7. You are, as the name suggest great at providing supportive fire to your teammates.
    See a tank over there and there is an AT in your squad? Load him up, fire on any infantry near the tank and keep that tank occupied while the AT blows it up. Providing covering fire for your squad is the most important thing.

8. Reload when you have less then 50 bullets, except if the situation is too hot. Though you got unlimited ammo, your gun still needs to reload. Also reload whenever possible after a fight. The difference between life and death can be as small a single bullet.

9. Your gun is the best weapon to keep the enemy pinned down and where they are. See a squad on a roof but you cant kill them? So what? Keep laying down fire on their position and keep them there! While you keep them busy, another guy in your squad crawls up the roof and gets them all.

10. Even though your bullets dont hurt a tank or APC, it draws attention away. A lot of bullets means an enemy and that tank will want to take that enemy out. Keep the tank attention on you means that any Anti-Armour class has all the time and space it needs.

Reloading/Supplying.

11. Even a support guy will have to resupply himself. If no teammates are nearyby and you just reloaded a clip, resupply yourself. This prevents you from ever running out of clips altogether in a fire fight.

12. AT's are by far the class that begs for the most ammo, they only got a couple of AT missiles and just one of your golden ammo packs will fully resupply them.

13. You can also resupply vehicles such as a tanks or APCs.

14. Do be careful with ammobag spamming. Though it might help your team, ammo bags can also be picked up by the enemy and they can even give your position away.

15. When you drop an Ammo pack, your character will yell "Ammo here", you wont hear it, but your teammates AND the enemy will. Dont drop an ammo pack when being in a stealthy squad trying to capture a backflag. Just hold out the ammo bag instead. It also reloads without yelling.

16. You can also resupply by just holding out the ammo bag. Though dropping a bag is a full reload, it also takes a whole bag out of your inventory which will need to respawn/reload. Dont drop a full bag for reloading a single clip of a friendly.

17. When reloading with the bag in your hands, you can see how full or empty on ammo they are, like the repair bar on an engineer. While you reload, your reload-bag-ammo bar goes down, and their ammo goes up.

18. If your squad is low on ammo and your low on bags, dont throw that last one all the time. Keep the bag in your hand, and see who in your squad needs the most ammo by checking the ammobar.

19. Dont resupply a sniper if there is a tank on your flag, resupply the AT instead.

20. If you throw a bag onto a corpse, it will stutter a bit. Its fun.

21. Ammo bags are also good traps. The enemy will want to reload on ammo so laying an ammo bag can also be used to lay a trap. Lay a bag, then lay C4 or wait in ambush and watch the show.

Other:

22. Basicly, you got unlimited grenades, maybe even enough resupply for one more friendly to have unlimited grenades as well. Though I really hate a nade fest, it can work on a tank. Do be careful, nades are teamkillers. Nade on a tank = Can kill your spec ops trying to C4 that tank.

23. Dont waste time reloading your support gun if its empty and the enemy is in close range, switch to your pistol instead. The knife and the pistol are still there for you to use, so use them!

24. Support guns are noisy and draw attention. Dont let the whole enemy army know you are there if you have to take a flag behind the front lines. Knife him instead if possible.

25. Though your support gun is effective at pinning down the enemy, you are usually prone, making you sniper food any day. Snipers are your worst enemy, dont go show your head trying to kill one, you'll lose. Spot the sniper instead and let your team handle him. In the meantime, get a medic if your hurt and find a place where you can still provide cover without being a target.

26. With the exception of the Medic, your the worst AT class on your own, the only advantage being ammo for grenades. Your faaaarrr better off supplying any good Anti-Armour class instead and covering them against enemy infantry.

Well, that should sum it up I geuss, only the medic class is left then.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
    BF2142 Names:
    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Re: Being Support

All good points..

Great job !
    Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

Thierry FTW!
      thx for the guide

Comment

If you guys need any specific guides let me know, and I'll see what I can come up with.
        Im currently thinking about a weapons overview & comparison list.

BF2142 Names:
        Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
        Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
        Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
        Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Very good info Thierry.

A comparison list would be most excellent indeed.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

theirry, can u make a hunting guide, "how to hunt for enemies" how 2 aproach vs 2 or 3 or 1 etc.

Comment

Sure, ill get to one when my Automatic Updating finishes downloading so I got proper Internet.
              (I had it set to Notify so it cant download on its own but it did....god I hate microsoft)

BF2142 Names:
              Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
              Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
              Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
              Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

thx Thierry! :)

edit, fixed Thierry's name!
                Last edited by fighter10101; 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Sigh, every forum, every place, every language, they always get it wrong... its Thierry!

BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

If God carried a BF2 gun, it would be the PKM!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                      There's nothing God loves more than you firing a half-second burst into the air, and sending that smug bastard of a chopper fly-boy plummeting into the ground on a one-way fiery roller coaster ;)
                      That, and those damn forum kittens people keep on mentioning.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                      |TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ

If God carried a BF2 gun he'd be dumb, he can just zap us all to death with lightning and finish off whats left with the Hand of God!

BF2142 Names:
                        Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                        Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                        Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                        Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Great Post Thierry

My biggest problem is I think I can acctually hit somehting with my
                          support gun, it seems I'm always getting beaten to the punch, you
                          know, I see someone, he sees me, we both drop and fire, and I
                          rattle off 20-30 rounds and I'm dead. Am I expecting too much from
                          my gun ? Should I play more like a medic and hang back ?
                          It seems whenever I move up and engage I lose.
                          But at the same time I feel "guilty" if I hang back and spray support
                          fire only.

Signed, "Tired of the Drop/Fire/Dead routine !"

Comment

Frank-

I play support a lot as well and often run into the same dilemma. It often feels like the LMG is a bullet magnet. Especially with all the marksman here at TG.

I used to hang back and found that my fire did nothing. Even as suppresive fire it wasn't that effective. And, the worst part of this was that my squad mates would often run in front of by bullet stream causing a lot of team damage. Now I really do try to stay up front and in the middle of the squad formation to provide a base of fire. But, I rarely will do this if I'm seperated. I will always try to buddy up with someone as an impromptu fireteam if the SL hasn't established FT's already. This way if you run into a close-quarters gunfight you have someone else who can also engage. If I do find myself alone and say come around a corner facing and enemy, I try to pull out my pistol now more often to engage.

All in all I love this class and for it's frequent down sides, it is an essential and powerfull tool for an infantry squad.
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

Thanks Loyalguard

Will definetly keep that in mind and try moving with a SM nearby !!!

I agree, I like this class, it adds to the realism when the other classes
                              do not have infinite ammo !

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X