Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CO can turn the tides by capping a flag! (Read on...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO can turn the tides by capping a flag! (Read on...)

Okay, I want to know if you think this strategy is lame. I happen to really enjoy doing it. It will only work in TacMod or if you are certain the opposing CO's scan and UAV are down, and works best on maps where there are too many CPs to have one enemy squad at each one.

Most COs find a spot in the UCB to 'camp out' to open the command screen and commence operations. I think a better plan is to find a place where you can be undetected near a capturable CP. The best is an out of the way flag that is not currently defended by either side. If the flag falls, you only have to wait until the troops leave (usually they will roll on after capturing it) and jump on top of it. You can capture it and hide before the enemy has sent a squad to retake it. Since they probably don't know it is only you, they have to divert resources to retake it that would otherwise be contributing to an assault or beefing up defense. When they leave again, you capture it again, until eventually they will figure out they have to keep some guys there to defend. This is the best part, because when you don't attack for 4 or 5 minutes, they get bored and leave AGAIN! (This way of hassling the enemy is also a good project for a two-man fireteam to undertake, if you have one free.)

I routinely look for flags that I can capture that are completely undefended, stopping at hiding spots along the way to open the command menu and drop supplies, give orders, etc. I just don't think enough COs assist their team this way. Sure you die a time or two per round, but the benefit to your team outweighs the loss.

So, do you think the lameness factor is too high for this tactic? I solicit your thoughts!

Kisses!
    Sassy
    [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
    [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Re: CO can turn the tides by capping a flag! (Read on...)

It is very clever Sassy and reminds us the importance of "Patrol Squads". Back flag defense may actually become boring but it must be done.

The best solution seems to assign a "patrol squad" which is highly mobile (buggies or APC). Since they will be moving along a patrol route "boredom" factor will be significantly reduced. And they can also act quickly to eliminate clever COs like you :)

I guess what I am trying to say is, if one of the sides is not defending its back bases with static defense or patrol squads, then they deserve to lose that flag and I see no "lameness" in your tactic. Defend it or lose it...

Comment

Sounds good, buuuut, most likely they will get their scan or UAV back.

Comment

I agree with John.

Like you say Sassy, it's really only going to be useable in the TacMod unless you have a squad or have a squad dedicated to keeping the enemy's assets down. In those cases, it seems like a very valid, tactically sound move.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
          Sounds good, buuuut, most likely they will get their scan or UAV back.
          Which is why she mentioned TacMod. :)

Comment

The trick with this is that you need free time to get near an enemy CP. When I command, there aren't many times where I can take a break to drive a car behind enemy lines and find a nice hiding spot.

Comment

I think it's a solid tactic. I used that strategy lonewolfing on BF1942, but I hadn't considered that the CO in BF2 could make use of it as well. Granted the enemy can eventually get a scan or UAV, but they still have to go to the trouble of diverting resources.

Comment

If they dont defend their backflags, then they are asking for it. I always notice it when we have all the flags and there are something like 3 enemy players left. I always seem to be the only one to notice that the starting flags are undefended :/

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                BF2142 Names:
                Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Originally posted by James315
                  Granted the enemy can eventually get a scan or UAV, but they still have to go to the trouble of diverting resources.
                  Unless they don't have those assets to begin with...another plug...T-A-C-M-O-D!!! :)

From the change log: "Removed commander assets (Radar, UAV, Artillery)".

Comment

If one could somehow avoid being seen by a radar or UAV (going in a building? lying in bushes?) and if the radar and uav didnt spot the enemy at the exact spot (more a general direction, so you cant really pick their exact location) then UAV and Radar would be a lot better balanced.
                    Make the UAV targetable by AA and make them die quicker (i mean...its piece of plastic!) then its fine for me. If you see a UAV then, then youll know the enemy has your general location, but they wont know exactly where you are. You can then coordinate your squad to destroy the UAV and quickly spread out.
                    Maybe even if a single person was a very vaque dot, then squad movement would be detected, but a single sniper crawling in the bushes will be very hard to find.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                    BF2142 Names:
                    Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                    Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                    Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                    Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Just a question...isn't the Spec Ops kit hidden from UAV? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I thought there was something special about them being able to avoid detection.

To back up Sassy, I too have done this tactic. I'd kit up as Spec Ops, drop demo on one of our flags further back from the current action and then pull back to an out-of-the-way building but maintain LOS to the flag.
                      I dropped a supply box behind the building and out of sight so I could restock my charges and camped. I found that I could (and did on 3 occasions during the fight) defend the flag and keep up with my commanderly duties.
                      |TG-9th| Prophaniti

Blood and Honor, The Journal of a 9th MID Soldier

Comment

Often when I CO, I do all the UAV, Scan, Supplies or Arty where it's requested or where I think it's best at the time, and then close the menu and change location. Generally when I do this, I try to work around to a secluded flag around the back of the enemies territories, preferrably one without armour so I don't get seen by people picking up new armour when it respawns, and use the tactic. Not always the safest thing to do, but always fun.

Comment

The CO could also be of aid at a contested CB. They can still spot and find weak point to attack while the squads are attacking.
                          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Prophaniti
                            Just a question...isn't the Spec Ops kit hidden from UAV? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I thought there was something special about them being able to avoid detection.
                            Wow, I haven't heard that one in nearly a year. The Spec Ops indeed were originally planned to be invisible to radar scan and UAV, but this feature was removed before the final build. Spec Ops also used to have a laser-painter to be used in conjunction with the bomber jets, but this was also removed.

Comment

Originally posted by SassyOne
                              Okay, I want to know if you think this strategy is lame. I happen to really enjoy doing it. It will only work in TacMod or if you are certain the opposing CO's scan and UAV are down, and works best on maps where there are too many CPs to have one enemy squad at each one.

Most COs find a spot in the UCB to 'camp out' to open the command screen and commence operations. I think a better plan is to find a place where you can be undetected near a capturable CP. The best is an out of the way flag that is not currently defended by either side. If the flag falls, you only have to wait until the troops leave (usually they will roll on after capturing it) and jump on top of it. You can capture it and hide before the enemy has sent a squad to retake it. Since they probably don't know it is only you, they have to divert resources to retake it that would otherwise be contributing to an assault or beefing up defense. When they leave again, you capture it again, until eventually they will figure out they have to keep some guys there to defend. This is the best part, because when you don't attack for 4 or 5 minutes, they get bored and leave AGAIN! (This way of hassling the enemy is also a good project for a two-man fireteam to undertake, if you have one free.)

I routinely look for flags that I can capture that are completely undefended, stopping at hiding spots along the way to open the command menu and drop supplies, give orders, etc. I just don't think enough COs assist their team this way. Sure you die a time or two per round, but the benefit to your team outweighs the loss.

So, do you think the lameness factor is too high for this tactic? I solicit your thoughts!

Kisses!
                              Sassy
                              Hehehe, I remember both myself and Sassy doing this as we COed in the Tac Mod scrim a while back. Believe me, it works and can be really effective. A CO in the Tactical Mod can't really sit on the front lines while coordinating the squads - it's just too much of a distraction (at least to me). The rear, or defence, is a perfect position.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                              |TG-2nd|munchkin
                              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse