Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault Kit tactics and questions.

Assault Kit tactics and questions.

Let me first write that there are two ways to win battles.

First is the arcade way, were you exploit any advantage that reality gives. Let’s call this arcadeism. For example in the BF2 world, jumping 10 feet in the air is reality.
    The second way is to recreate the physics and indeed reality of the real world through Mods and gentlemen’s agreements. Let’s call this recreateism. For example, not taking a jet and flying deep behind enemy lines, then ditching the 30 million dollar item and after landing safely having five warriors appear on your position is recrateism. A better example would be having all your squad members spawn on you in the chooper at the ship and fly in together.
    Let’s make a spectrum of these two ways to win battle. The two different ways being totally opposites. At random, say the arcade way is to the left on the spectrum and at the right on the spectrum is recreateism. This would make me a right wing nut job.

These writings on the Assault Kit are in earnest to make the game closer to recreateism. As a F.N.G. or noobe or whatever the video gamer word is, I struggle with the Assault Kit. Particularly the grenade launcher. I thought: What I could do to get more productivity out of it? I first thought about the induction of the grenade launcher in military service and what its strong points are. It propels an explosive device quite a distance away while at the same time giving the user the ability to use their rifle and of course giving distance between the enemy and user. This makes me believe the launcher is a moderate to long range weapon. Indeed, short range weapon use with open ground could led to friendly causalities or the injury of its user. However the launcher has short range abilities as well if the user can get a sturdy structure in-between the shrapnel splash and themselves.

The arcadisms have a field day with the grenade launcher. Due to the incredible jumping ability and very small damage radius of the grenade round, the assault kit enables the player to hop around and destroy those from below. Ironically the programmers got it wrong to the max. The jumping ability is unrealistic and the splash damage is way too small. If only it was the other way around.

At TG, the gentlemen’s agreement 86s hoping. This only leaves me with the tiny splash radius. Due to this tiny splash radius the assault kit is often used in close quarters action. Here is the underlining frustration: Being of low twitch quality I would need to place a round very close to the enemy to get the kill. In TG, if you meet the enemy face to face say around 15 meters, unless there is cover near by, someone is going to be killed in about a second. A good warrior of high twitch quality (with the launcher) can put a well placed round in close enough to destroy their opponent.

It is obvious that practice can well improve twitch. But how can I better use the Kit to help my team and of course play with recreateism in mind while doing so? Below our some tactics that I suggest the new guys to use, or anyone for that matter, to use in order to be more of an asset to the team.

Tactics
    1. Be the point man. It is good for morale to see a stud up front and leading the way. Just do not tell every body that you’re inexperienced. You may become the hero of the day. This also gives you practice. On the job training is the best.
    2. Exploit the single fire setting of your rifle and help snipe the enemy if warranted.
    3. If you find yourself in the middle of the squad and you are in column formation (chest to back), launch grenades over your comrade’s heads toward the enemy if engaged from that direction. You may find that “you got a kill damage asset” will appear more often doing so.
    4. Use your smoke grenade in places that our choke points in order to help your squad get across safely.
    5. Use the grenade launcher to fire into bunkers or inside buildings to help sweep the area of enemy soldiers. You do not need to see anybody, while doing this but you may flush them out of their hiding place wounded our get a kill doing so.
    6. Use the grenade launcher to take out light and heavy jeeps that man 50 cals during assaults. One grenade will take down a jeep. And two will take down a heavy jeep. (Beware of the wrench). Hey, they are pretty big so this will give you some good feedback on your aim. Also, look out for ricochets when doing this and in general.
    7. Use the grenade launcher to put some damage on the T O W and Anti Aircraft Turrets.
    8. Use the grenade launcher to hit barrels and gas barrels near the enemy. (now that is splash!)
    9. Use the grenade launcher to blow holes in fences that your squad can more easily move through.
    10. If a bridge is super wounded, try the launcher on it. You may impress your special forces friends. ( I do not know if this works, but it is worth a shot)
    11. When defending, a good policy is to keep the enemy suppressed so as not to attack your position. Hook up with a support solider and work out an assembly line. After firing your grenade, reach your non firing hand out to your side. The support solider will then hand you another round, reload, fire, then repeat many times. Keep this up and move around a lot so as not to give your position away. For example, you are defending the hill at Mahtuur city. look at your arcade like H.U.D., at Back yard. You do not see any friendlies so launch a grenade at them already. Crates work great also. this is also great for unit integrity.
    12. Shoot at tanks and other armor if you’re spotted by them while you retreat. You may get almost zero damage but you may amuse the tank while a more powerful weapon comes in for support. Plus you get to work on your aim and possibly take out the gunner.
    13. When making a tactical retreat. Leap frogging if you will. Shoot your launcher in the direction of the approaching enemy. Shot fall back, shot, fall back. Your not really trying to aim when doing this. This may give your squad the cover fire it needs to get out of there.
    14. Working with a support solider, to help suppress the enemy while an advancing squad works into cap the flag. There are many variables to the assault/support duo. For example the enemy knows your position but you are too high for them to fire or throw anything at you, but you are out of hand grenade range. Without being seen, launch grenades at them thus suppressing them while your teammates come in for the kill. ( Remember to treat your support solider to chow every now and then so that they will continue to help you out. )
    15. When using the launcher in close quarters action be sure to have close cover at hand to duck in to escape the splash and to reload.
    16. Do not get into a habit of using the sights. Tac Mod does not have sights. Sure they do in zoom mode but you’re probably dead before you can line your shot up. You must let go and use the Force when firing your torpedoes, uh… I mean grenade launcher. This is the best way to develop a better twitch by getting into the flow of things.
    17. Constantly be aware of when to use your rifle or launcher. Due to the small splash, you should be o.k. if someone jumps out in front of you and you shot low and kill them and wound yourself.
    18. Practice, practice, practice. But practice the right way or will be hurting yourself in the long run.
    19. Remember what mode you’re in during the Tac Mod. You may think your in rifle mode, but you may be in launcher mode. Any error on your part could lead you calling for a medic and or causing team damage.

Questions
    These questions are for readers who wish write answers.

1. What is the approximate damage radius for the launcher?
    2. Will it be increased in the future?
    3. For that matter, will the hand grenade damage radius be increased as well?
    4. Will grenades bounce of enemy solders’ if shot directly at them?
    5. What are some other tactics a warrior can use with the kit in order to have more fun and be more productive?

Thanks Champs.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Re: Assault Kit tactics and questions.

good read! thx man!
    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy
      10. If a bridge is super wounded, try the launcher on it. You may impress your special forces friends. ( I do not know if this works, but it is worth a shot)
      Not so sure about the bridge, but my brother did tell me that with a few assault friends and a nice support guy, you can take out commander assets pretty quick with the grenade launchers.

As for using the kit, I only use it every other month, so here's a cautionary note from the enemy's point of view: think before you throw smoke. Smoke is great when you know you've already been seen and need to move to a new position or for reviving and healing in TacMod. But, throwing smoke is also a giant neon sign to the enemy about your position. If you have not been seen, don't give away your location with smoke, ammo, or medic bags. All of these give visual AND audio clues that you're in the area. Plus, if you do throw smoke, make sure you are comfortable moving around in the smoke yourself.

For example, recently, an esteemed member of our community was repeatedly assaulting a flag my squad was defending. Because they threw smoke on the flag, I was able to follow the same person into the smoke and dispatch them sans-bullets/explosives twice while they were blinded by their own smoke. Just as the enemy can't see through smoke, remember that you can't see through it either.

With that said, you could always use the reverse psychology and use a smoke grenade as a decoy while your squad moves into position somewhere else, you sneaky bas'tids.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
      TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
      ||

Comment

Good stuff, I also posted an Assault Kit Tactics topic some pages back. The name is 'Being Assault' I think.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
        BF2142 Names:
        Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
        Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
        Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
        Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Addition from me...

I don't want people to underestimate the power of smoke, from both the basic assult kits and from APC's and tanks... in games I rarly see either used... I use them alot...

all you have to be aware of when you use them is that yes, it lets people know 'something' is there... and yes' it can cut down your visibility being around the smoke... but if that smoke can cover your medic for an extrra 2 seconds to get a revive or it gives your squad time to turn a flag rather then just send it nutural then it was worth it...

its not in the game to be pretty, but to use it well takes an experienced player... know where your enemys at and cut their direct lines of vision...

works nicly in city maps to obsure many long lines of vision while you cross open spaces... but like I said, if you want covert, dont use the smoke... its not sneeky...
          "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
          "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

Multiple assaults throwing smoke is a great way to cross open terrain, even if you haven't been spotted by the enemy. Better to have the cover of smoke than to be easy pickin's for a SAW or a sniper while you're right in the middle of the street.

I'm not a big fan of the GL anymore, but its GREAT for light vehicles. Practice, practice, practice! Once you can estimate where that grenade will land, you are a lethal weapon against those rolling .50 cals. I've had some incredible long distance shots on jeeps with that thing, and it's a great feeling when half a squad goes down to your grenade shot.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer
              Not so sure about the bridge, but my brother did tell me that with a few assault friends and a nice support guy, you can take out commander assets pretty quick with the grenade launchers.

As for using the kit, I only use it every other month, so here's a cautionary note from the enemy's point of view: think before you throw smoke. Smoke is great when you know you've already been seen and need to move to a new position or for reviving and healing in TacMod. But, throwing smoke is also a giant neon sign to the enemy about your position. If you have not been seen, don't give away your location with smoke, ammo, or medic bags. All of these give visual AND audio clues that you're in the area. Plus, if you do throw smoke, make sure you are comfortable moving around in the smoke yourself.

For example, recently, an esteemed member of our community was repeatedly assaulting a flag my squad was defending. Because they threw smoke on the flag, I was able to follow the same person into the smoke and dispatch them sans-bullets/explosives twice while they were blinded by their own smoke. Just as the enemy can't see through smoke, remember that you can't see through it either.

With that said, you could always use the reverse psychology and use a smoke grenade as a decoy while your squad moves into position somewhere else, you sneaky bas'tids.
              Well it's not ever a good idea to go in your smoke, unless you want to smoke off course.

Comment

The most surefire way to win midrange engagements as Assault is to fire a grenade quickly based on instinct (this can only be learned with hours of practice with the kit), drop prone instantly, and open fire full auto. The grenade will most likely take away at least half of the enemy soldier's health, and even by spraying fire it's likely that you'll get those one or two crucial bullets into the enemy's body. In close range battles, do not use the iron sights. The standard crosshair is more than adequate, and if you've played the game as much as most TGers have, you probably have its location implanted firmly in your subconscious during TacMod play. Many players are overly cautious with their ammunition, but with four AK clips, it's unlikely that you'll run out of ammo without either dying or coming across a support player or a supply crate.

One should never reload the grenade launcher while already engaged - it takes way too long. The grenade is mostly a way to soften up an enemy or a group of enemies, and the standard rifle should be used to finish them off.

Comment

Nice feed back gang. thebleakaffinty gave a good tactic when engaging. shoot, drop and rock and roll on full atomatic.

On number 4 with regards to smoke, i should have typed, in known choke points throw smoke. Of course every kit has smoke now so you can really block the enemies range of fire more effectivly and really gang up on tanks.

I replied to a similar but better read that Thierry wrote late last year so that it gets recycled. Read this also!!!
                  (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                  (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                  (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                  Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                  Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I love the assault kit. With practice I am now able to kill enemies from many meters away, or soften up jeeps, vodniks etc without having to take the time to aim. With sufficient practice, it's possible to fire a grenade where you want it a hundred or so meters away without taking 5 seconds to aim.

Comment

We need to have a specific section for these kind of :icon1: threads :)

Good stuff Rick +rep! A+
                      [TG-Irr]Vulcher
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by matt_g_geier
                        We need to have a specific section for these kind of :icon1: threads :)

Good stuff Rick +rep! A+
                        I retract that statement - Announcing Tactical Library Initiative
                        [TG-Irr]Vulcher
                        sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...