Tired of getting hit by arty?....then become a psychic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of getting hit by arty?....then become a psychic

One of the biggest complaints people seem to have with vanilla is how they hate getting killed by artillery over and over. I always seem to read and hear such thoughts in various after action reports and in game within a squad. Well my response to that is...who said you have to get hit by arty? Artillery is one of the easiest things to avoid getting killed by. This is due to the fact that you can hear when arty fires. If you can hear arty as soon as the strike is called in than you have a good 10 secs or so to react to this info and take evasive action. Ok...maybe it requires at least a semi-decent sound card but most should be able to hear it. Once you hear the arty firing ask yourself the following questions:

- Are you about to enter a flags capture zone with several other people? Yes? Then get in doors or step away from the flag radius for a bit. The commander has been watching and waiting to hit the arty button so it drops on your head shortly after you get on the flag. Don't fall for it! Patrol the area outside the flag radius for a bit and watch as the commander gets no kills and you move in right after to take the flag without resistance.

- Did the squad I'm in just take a flag or is about to?...yes?...do you hear arty?....yes!? Run away!! It will come down directly on the flag shortly. Whether you are the SL or not alert people to this over voip so everyone is aware of this major threat. Of course encourage your men to stay together on the flag until its under your possession if this is achievable in this short warning timespan.

- Is the squad your in moving together(bunched up) on foot to a new flag? Yes?...Then as SL have your men move in a different direction for a bit. If you were moving north <--> south then move east or west for a bit. If you were moving east <--> west then move north or south for a bit. Remember its not just enough to keep moving toward your destination and think because you moved from where you were bunched up when the arty started firing that you are safe. Good commanders will predict your squads movement and place arty where they think you will be when it drops. Usually good prediction spots are around the outer flag defenses where incoming attack squads typically find cover in the initial firefights.

- Are enemy troops in good firing range but they seem to be running away? Yes? Then guess what...you have a bullseye on your head. Oh crap what do I do?...simple...order your squad to rush toward the fleeing defenders. They think they can run away and hide in safety spots while you get crushed by the arty....use this to your advantage. I will give an example. Attacking the TV station on the Southern Hill by the tank spawn. Usually you encounter a few enemies near the TOW and the tank may also be pinning you down by the rocks there. This my friends is a typical commander arty spot. So if you hear arty firing and see enemy troops moving away from your squads current location(the rocks by the tank spawn) than I suggest immediately ordering your troops to all move in together and rush the fleeing defenders. Use the fact that they will be disoriented to your position since they will have turned their backs to move away from the arty. Rushing toward their safety net outside the arty strike will also surprise them big time. If armor also has you pinned down then add smoke to the mix or consider pulling back and flanking in a new direction. Squad leaders should try to be very aware of their minimap and which direction they can move. Make a quick judgement call as SL and then give a clear order as SL with a marked movement area.

- Are you a sniper team that is causing some annoyance and are bunched up? Then displace for a bit...you are a solid target. Kilrogg especially loves killing sniper teams that bunch up.;)

- Are you on defense and your flag is located next to an enemies flag? Than be very aware of arty shots. You are a prime target. As SL always encourage your guys to spread out and cover all approaches. Designate specific areas if you have to. Commanders will be less likely to drop arty at your location if they feel they will only take out 1 or 2 people if they are lucky. Of course when you hear arty be sensitive to your squads position and whether they are bunching up somewhere. Immediately encourage them to seek shelter or spread out....they will thank you shortly after a arty strike just misses them.

Primary Keys to surviving arty:

- Check your minimap! Move away from troop clusters or move indoors.
    - Become a psychic and think like a commander. Where would you place arty based on what your squad is currently doing?
    - Call out potential arty strikes in your squad. More people staying alive means better chances of getting a revive for those hit and higher probability of achieving the current squads goal.
    - Take down the enemies arty.:)
    - Karkland river standoff?...arty firing? Then step off the wall for a bit. I'm tired of seeing whole squads getting wiped out over and over again in this situation and then seeing people complain about it. Is the arty recharge time too short?...ya definitely. Is that an excuse to stand around at the traintracks as it fires and then complain as it falls on your head for the tenth time?..."No sir!"

*may be edited a bit tommorrow for clarity or additions*
    Last edited by FBmantis; 05-25-2006, 08:18 AM.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Tired of getting hit by arty?....then become a psychic

A+! +rep.
    [TG-Irr]Vulcher
    sigpic

Comment

+Rep Mantis nice write up but you forgot one thing and that's that Arty Magnet that the 33rd slipped into my pack. It doesn't matter where I run it always seems to follow me where ever I go :)
      Last edited by Drizzid; 05-25-2006, 10:30 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

I can no longer count the times on one hand where I've mentioned to our squad leader that we are artillery bait... only to have seconds later a nearby artillery strike that would have hit us...

I think it comes from playing commander I'm able to use the mini maps as you mention to recognise when we are in trouble... usual rule of thumb is when your in a large cluster (5 or more) when no enemys are nearby....

Also squad leaders should take every effort not to be in open spaces...
        "Victory without Honor, is Pointless..."
        "I regret that I only have 1 life per spawn, to give to my team...."

Comment

I'd like to add: once arty starts to fall on your position, it tends to fall randomly. You can decresase your chances of getting hit/dying by making your movements random. Zig-zag ftw!

Comment

The only times I get hit by arty are
            - when I am turning a flag and I figure it's coming for us, but it is worth the risk to neutralize the flag
            - when I know it is coming and I think I am safe, either inside a building or away from the flag
            - when I move in too quickly after it ends
            - when the enemy CO does something really bizarre, like dropping the arty on me alone
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

guess its time to turn up my sound quality. I didn't know you could hear it fire from anywhere. I generally don't hear it til the first shell lands. good tips.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I didn't know you could hear it fire from anywhere. I usually only hear it when it's close. Usually, though, a squad leader near the firing arty tells the commander, who then tells the whole team that arty is firing so that squads can srpad out and get to cover.

Comment

do you need x-fi to hear it everywhere?

Comment

The topic of hearing arty firing from a distance is interesting because after making audio changes in Tac Mod and testing them we've found that different people hear objects at different distances. And it doesn't appear that higher audio settings leads to hearing distant objects. I have an Audigy 2 ZS and my audio settings are Hardware/High/EAX and I am among the people who don't hear objects as far away as others do. I believe this is also true in vanilla because I have been standing right next to a person when they said they heard arty firing and I couldn't hear it at all. My only guess is that different sound cards or drivers are interpreting the sound information that BF2 gives them differently.

Comment

yeah duke, I have the same card/settings and experience the same thing....

That being said, most of the above tips still hold true even if you can't hear it firing!

Comment

I play with Mantis a lot and he tells the squad whenever enemy arty fires. So, I usually know when it's firing even if it doesn't land near me at all. When I was using the onboard sound, I had the sound settings on medium. I could only hear the arty fire if I was fairly close to it. However, after I got a pci sound card and turned the setting to high, I could hear the arty fire pretty much anywhere on the map. Still, there are times when I don't hear it but Mantis tells me it's firing, but only when I'm very far away. For instance, on Songhua, if I'm at one of the main bases I don't hear arty firing.

But, I suppose Duke might be right and the different card or drivers might be doing different things.

Comment

Good post! But correct me if I am wrong, you will still get smoked even if you are inside a building, right? So the only way to avoid that is to get out of the arti circle or pure luck.
                          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I should note that the fact that I use headphones surely helps. Obviously on larger maps it will be much harder to hear arty from very far away. Hearing the MEC arty at the US airfield on Zatar is very unlikely unless all is quiet in the area. The closer you are the easier it will be to hear.

As for what sound hardware/settings you need to hear this. I have no idea. I'm only on a 2+ year old Audigy Gamer and my bf2 settings are just medium hardware with no EAX. Its not like I'm using a really expensive card here or turning up the quality settings super high.

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                            Good post! But correct me if I am wrong, you will still get smoked even if you are inside a building, right? So the only way to avoid that is to get out of the arti circle or pure luck.
                            Depends how far inside the building you are and whether the roof above is made of solid material. Remember that the splash damage is pretty high so if you are only slightly inside a building a shell that falls right outside the doorwar could still easily kill you through splash damage.
                            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Ah interesting. I didn't realize there were people who couldn't hear the arty fire! You don't need anything fancy to hear it. I use a USB headset, so no soundcard at all, and I hear it all fine. I guess it is probably sound settings. Mine are probably on medium. I'll check later.

Man, it must be terrible to not hear it. Do you hear it fire when close to it?
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X