Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Age of the Recon Squad Part I.

The Age of the Recon Squad Part I.

After many prayers, promises, and sacrifices to Aries, the god of war I found the TAC MOD at Tactical Gamer. That reminds me, my first five kids will need to be awesome warriors dedicated to war and carnage or I’m going to have a one way ticket across the river of Styx to Hades when I perish.
    I digress. In vanilla, the greatest Intel device that a team has is the scanner and U.A.V. functions. These technological tools allowed the C.O. to of course provide live Intel to their team! Think about it, live information on the enemy’s presence.
    With the TAC MOD, like before, the latest Intel is just as important as before. However, due to the crutch that was developed with relying on easy push button enmey positions that came with the techno vanilla wars, the dark ages started in the Tac Mod with regards to relaying the most up to date intell to the team. I noticed that the C.O. function is abandoned quite often and with it the awesome radio transmissions that comes with it. The intell gap that was left after the techno wars is huge and needs to be filled A.S.A.P.! You see, many warriors believe the path to victory is to solely engage the enemy and kill it quickly, either being on the offense or defense. There is a more elegant way of destroying your enemy. Enter the recon squad, the eyes and ears of the team. These warriors are neither in the primary offense or defense roles, but relay relevant intell to their team with the commo rose and precise radio transmissions with the SL and C.O.

Body
    A. Mission Statement
    B. Attributes a player needs to perform good recon work
    C. Recon numbers in a squad and team
    D. Distinction of the recon squad
    E. General S.O.P. when forming a recon squad.
    F. Kit selection
    G. Commo rose function
    H. Verbal communications.

Mission Statement
    The primary goal of the recon squad is to provide the latest intell up the chain of command in clear and efficient manner in hopes of aiding their team in their offensive and defensive accomplishments. The secondary goal will be to assist and support the friendly assault team attacking positions the recon squad or squad member is closes to. The tertiary goal will be to impede the enemy in their offensive and defensive endeavors by use of bobby traps, and suppressive fire, and destroying the enemy itself.

Attributes of the players needed to fill the ranks of the recon trooper.
    The player will need to be of sound discipline.
    Will need to have radio communication
    Will need to make precise communication relays up the chain of command.
    Will need to be effieciant in spotting the enemy with the commo rose function.
    Will need to be very very patient.
    Will need to be proficient in stealth.
    Will need to be cunning.
    Will need to have the courage and skills to take up the CO position if not occupied.

Numbers
    The recon squad consists of one to six members per squad. A team should have at the most one squad. The number of warriors on the map and the geographical conditions will greatly influence the number of recon personnel in the squad and their location on the map.

Distinction of the recon team
    As noted above, the recon teams’ primary objective will be gathering and relaying intell to the team. This clearly segregates the recon team from the sniper team. The classic sniper team is an offensive weapon that focuses more on killing than intel. The recon personnel is interesting in viewing the enemy in its undisturbed defensive and flanking assault positions and identifying the strength and numbers of the enemy.

General S.O.P when forming a squad
    As noted above the number of players and geographical elements of the map will dictate the numbers in the recon team. Rarely should a recon squad excide four or more members. For example, a map like Strike at Karkand with its close quarter melee action (64 players, as in there are 32 players on your team) should contain one-two members in the squad tops. In fact if there is an sniper squad already present, do not bother with recon. YOur team is going to need plenty of hands on personnel to engage the enemy. Mashtuur City (again 32 players on your team) could use up to four players in the squad due to the open flanking positions that the enemy has. The SL will need to use their judgment when forming, locking, and removing members from the squad. The recon squad must be an asset to the team. Taking up vital team slots and being idle would retard your team’s offensive and defensive capacities.
    Due to the commo rose function and the constant radio communicationsbetween squad members, the recon soldier will spend most of their time split apart from their squad and team. This enables the recon squad to be scattered around the map thus having many different pairs of eyes and ears for the team.
    The commander role is crucial. If not taken, the recon SL will ask for volunteers for the important role. If there are no takers, the SL should take the position. Once done so, provide the important commo relay to help coordinate attacks and of course relay recon intell.

Kit selection of the recon team.
    Generally Sniper, Support, Special Forces will be used; however, depending upon the circumstances other kits will be used. As long there are binocs found in the kit you’re good to go for recon.

Commo rose
    Due to the fact that the C.O. will be communicating with other squads, the recon situational reports will need to be exact and short. The arcade commo rose function will be your best intell relaying tool for your team. When spotting things, be careful for two reasons. One, if the enemy is close enough to you they will hear you spotting them. Two, your spotting will need to be accurate. Many times when spotting something the spot will be a false positive, meaning the enemy is not were it is actually on the map.

Verbal communications between SL and C.O.
    As stated above, the C.O. net channel should be filled with prudent communications. During high priority situations the recon SL should announce intell verbally. For example, a recon trail watcher counts six enemy soldiers working to flank a friendly defensive position and gives the intell to the SL. The SL will then relay the numbers, a good idea on the kit selection, and the general direction the enemy is heading to the C.O. All the while the recon solider is spotting the enemy as they move.

This concludes Part I. The age of recon was brought about ironically by the demise of the U.A.V. and scanner. The ability to move in behind enemy lines and or protect the flanks of friendly positions without being seen from a cheap C.O. function enables the recon element to get into position to do the very thing the U.A.V. and scanner did, gather live intell on the battlefield.

P.S. if you’re a supporting member and thinking about joining an in-house squad and are interested with such tactics, the 4th Recon Force should be looked into.

Coming soon, Part II.

A. The Insertion
    B. Finding the perch
    C. Tactics
    1. Behind enemy lines
    2. The Trail Watcher
    3. Capitalizing on team assets
    4. Making Kill zones
    D. Escape and Evade
    E. The Extraction
    F. General tips for better game play and overal TG enjoyment
    G. The future of online games and the need for recon.
    H. Other.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Re: The Age of the Recon Squad Part I.

well written.

As noted above, the recon teamsí primary objective will be gathering and relaying intell to the team. This clearly segregates the recon team from the sniper team. The classic sniper team is an offensive weapon that focuses more on killing than intel.
    but that is an incorrect statement.
    Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

fair enough. I was thinking about the sniper teams in TG. This could still be an incorrect statement. I have spent very little time in sniper teams on the TG sever. But it seems like they are more interested in being on the front lines and hitting the enemy from there. Sure they do flank the enmey and get behind enemy lines (hard to do in vanillia) but it seems they are more into killing than relaying intel. I really do not know this for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy
        fair enough. I was thinking about the sniper teams in TG. This could still be an incorrect statement. I have spent very little time in sniper teams on the TG sever. But it seems like they are more interested in being on the front lines and hitting the enemy from there. Sure they do flank the enmey and get behind enemy lines (hard to do in vanillia) but it seems they are more into killing than relaying intel. I really do not know this for sure.
        I think sniper teams - well the ones with your "regular" TG snipers (Me, Sordavie, Mantis, phoenixx. Whiskey - and some others) actually do more recon and spotting deployed all over the map than killing. I know when it is me, Mantis and Davie our 3 man sniper squad can cover an entire map relaying info to squads using the Com Rose and the CO over VOIP through the SL.

On Tac Mod with the sniper kit "broken" the sniper squads do even more recon than killing easily. Though I guess for Tac Mod now you'd almost be better with a squad of other kits. Now everyone has more powerful than the scope binocs and accurate weapons so the benefits of a sniper only recon squad isnt that great anymore or even feasible.
        Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

good feed back, thanks

Comment

The sniper teams on TG are top notch at spotting. Many times it not noted who is doing the spotting since people look at the map and not the text messaging. But I certainly appreciate their thankless and tireless efforts.
            -33rd- BaneII
            Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by Jusb
              I think sniper teams - well the ones with your "regular" TG snipers (Me, Sordavie, Mantis, phoenixx. Whiskey - and some others) actually do more recon and spotting deployed all over the map than killing. I know when it is me, Mantis and Davie our 3 man sniper squad can cover an entire map relaying info to squads using the Com Rose and the CO over VOIP through the SL.

On Tac Mod with the sniper kit "broken" the sniper squads do even more recon than killing easily. Though I guess for Tac Mod now you'd almost be better with a squad of other kits. Now everyone has more powerful than the scope binocs and accurate weapons so the benefits of a sniper only recon squad isnt that great anymore or even feasible.

+Rep to Jusb.
              "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Jusb
                I think sniper teams - well the ones with your "regular" TG snipers (Me, Sordavie, Mantis, phoenixx. Whiskey - and some others) actually do more recon and spotting deployed all over the map than killing.
                You are NOT going to convince ME of this..

JusB [M24] P8riot
                Etc..
                Insert sniper name here [insert snipe rifle of choice here] P8riot
                Over
                and
                over
                and again..

LOL

:madsmile:

However, I am CERTAIN our better snipers take the time to spot me before shooting me in the forehead.
                sigpic

Comment

As it should be......

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                    However, I am CERTAIN our better snipers take the time to spot me before shooting me in the forehead.
                    LOL! :icon_lol:

Comment

Jusb has a good point though about the accuracy of the sniper rifles. It is sad when your sniper squads are using Spec ops kit because it is more accurate.
                      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

It's not necessarily more accurate. It isn't. However, the rate of fire more than makes up for the lower accuracy. The problem is that the sniper rifle isn't accurate enough to guarentee one shot kills in perfect conditions. Here, I'm talking about tacmod. There is no problem in Vanilla. So, in a head to head battle, if you miss with your sniper rifle, the other guy (with an assault rifle) can fire 3 or 4 shots at you before you rechamber and are ready to fire again.

Suppose, for illustrative purposes, that the sniper rifle has a 75% chance of hitting the opponent in perfect conditions and the assault rifle has 50%. It's obvious who's going to win if the sniper shoots just once for every 3 or 4 from the other guy. Add that to the fact that sniper rifles, in tacmod, do the same damage as the assault rifles and we have a serious problem with the kit.

Comment

There were several times when I got perfect head shots in tac mod with the sniper rifle and nothing seemingly happened. There is no hit indicator so I don't know if I am hitting them. Thank you for the clarification as to why. Either way the sniper kit has been rendered ineffective.

I still love the tac mod though :D
                          [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
                            Suppose, for illustrative purposes, that the sniper rifle has a 75% chance of hitting the opponent in perfect conditions and the assault rifle has 50%.
                            While changes to sniper rifle accuracy may still need to be made, I think that a 75% to 50% difference means that the sniper is engaging his target drastically too close. I think that a sniper should only engage from distances that would require another sniper rifle to seriously threaten them. We're trying to make this possible in Tac Mod by increasing the sniper rifle scope power. Other changes may need to be made to make it all work in a balanced way, but we're trying to get there eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtDuke
                              While changes to sniper rifle accuracy may still need to be made, I think that a 75% to 50% difference means that the sniper is engaging his target drastically too close. I think that a sniper should only engage from distances that would require another sniper rifle to seriously threaten them. We're trying to make this possible in Tac Mod by increasing the sniper rifle scope power. Other changes may need to be made to make it all work in a balanced way, but we're trying to get there eventually.
                              Niiice.. this is good to hear.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...