COing the AIRFORCES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COing the AIRFORCES

I will admit I suck at flying jets and since i havent spent much time in the air i feel like as a CO im not as good directing my airforces as i could be. So i would like to know from the air guys what they like in a co.
    Most of the time i give a "move here" genral area to bomb.Do you need a more fine tuned spot? should i give you a "move here" spot then tell you what pieces of armor i need taken out on voice? Should I tell you the spot then just try to keep the armor spoted? Like i said im pretty much clueless how you guys work up there so i dont relly know what is important for ya.

Re: COing the AIRFORCES

Good question. Id like to know whether the air strike SOP is used in game at all. I never fly or CO so im not sure. As SL i normally just ask for air support and give a target spot.

Comment

I command pretty often, and make use of Air Forces when Squad Leaders ask for air support. I give the jets an "Attack here!" waypoint, tell them the primary targets (infantry, armor, etc). When dealing with Attack choppers, I motly order them to assist a certain squad. Pilot doesnt even need a waypoint, he just looks for a squad number and flies in. Seems to work nicely.

Comment

I think a good jet squad can be deadly when commanded... Especially the bomber. Most of the time a waypoint to a crowded enemy position with a bombing mission is very effective in reducing the enemy tickets faster as well. The few times I have guided the air force they were grateful as well.

As for choppers they are best supporting some ground pounders. Taking out armors, suppressing enemy infantries. So I let them stick with ground pounders as much as possible. Sometimes rush them to a squad under attack while defending or sometimes move them with ground squad.

Fighter jets on the other hand, when SL s say they have enemy chopper on their position i send them there as well.

I am not an experienced CO but I had my days back in the day. I think the key is always keep them busy, so they will get used to your orders and start to expect them rather than doing their own things.

Comment

Yeah when ever pos. i will have the attack chopper assist a ground squad attacking a flag. I can fly a chopper so im pretty clear on COing a chopper squad.
          I just thought since i dont ever fly the jets maybe there was something i could be doing as CO that i overlooked, based on my lack of flying the jets, but i pretty much do everything you guys have mentioned so maybe there isnt any more i can do.

btw [TG] B i hardly ever see you in game anymore,whats up with that? when i first found TG i learned alot from being a squad mate in your squads

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik
            I command pretty often, and make use of Air Forces when Squad Leaders ask for air support. I give the jets an "Attack here!" waypoint, tell them the primary targets (infantry, armor, etc).
            This is a good point about the waypoint. When I CO, more often then not the pilots ask for a specific waypoint to bomb or attack. It often is hard for me to specifically find the spot where the Air would be most effective (especially having to wait for UAV or scan options to recharge) when ground squad Leaders request air support . With that said, it is easy for me to see where the SL's put their waypoints and this might be the trick- have SL's indicate w/ a "move here" waypoint where they need specific support so I know exactly where the Air needs to go. This might be hard for SL's if they're under heavy resistance or attack, but it could be worth a shot.

Comment

There needs to be much more communication between jets and COs, more than with any other squad.

Firstly, there is a range on "spots", meaning if someone spots a chopper and you're not in view range of it, it's not going to show up on your map. You can kind of guess where the chopper is by looking at which dot on the map is blinking (the position of friendlies blinks a few times whenever they do a radio communication) but it's not very accurate. Personally I'd rather have the CO tell me "Chopper is at X area" every 30 seconds than have to find it myself.

Second, if you consistently give targets, either by an attack marker or voip (or both, which is best), precising which target you want taken out, chances are your flyboys aren't going to waste their bombs on the first thing they see and they're actually going to keep them and do some strafing runs instead while waiting for your airstrike order. I'd much rather do that than just randomly bomb targets when I'm flying anyway

Third, the guns on jets are vastly underused against ground targets. 2 good passes on an APC and it's dead, less for a mobile AA. It's also uber against infantry but the problem is you can't see infantry on the ground until it's too late. If, as the CO, you see a squad of enemy infantry all close to each other and not really moving, put a waypoint precisely on top of them and tell your air squad that it's infantry that needs taken out. Even if they already dropped their bombs, they can easily kill at least half of them in one strafing run. If they miss some, the CO can always update the waypoint and finish them off. Infantry doesn't constantly run around if they get attacked by a jet, they just find another spot to hide in nearby because they know the jet won't see them from up there. That makes them a sitting duck for a second strafing run.

I can't stress the 3rd point enough, so many times I've seen huge stacks of infantry on the UAV but I can't pinpoint their location from the air because I don't actually see them on the ground even if I know they're there from the UAV.

Comment

Kilroggs 3rd point is important. Never tell a fighter to just bomb infantry in the open unless you zoom in and give an exact marker. Now all the bomber has to do is bomb the waypoint on his 3d map, instead of going 200 miles an hour so that he can see infantry.

What i like to do when a squad asks for air support is select the squad and select the air squad. Then, talking to both, i say "Jets help squad 5 at such and such CP". This lets the jets know what they are doing, and the ground squad knows they will get support soon, thus minimising teamkills that the jet might get.

Comment

Once in a hwile i will give my air assets the best approach vector but as far as using the airs SOPs that's all.
                  The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                  #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                  83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Most of the problems with the Jet Squads stem from a lack of information. The jets require just as much cooperation (if not more) as anyone else on the team and lack of support will be crippling.

Every time you make a scan you need to spot the enemy jets and tell your pilots where they were and the direction they were headed. Hopefully your pilot will get near enough to the enemy jet that they can see them spotted on the map and close in. Otherwise you're just telling your pilots to fly around and randomly encounter the enemy jet on their 12 more often then on their 6. I can't stress enough the importance of getting that kind of information to your jets.

The same general idea applies to helicopters. A jet's guns are much more effective on a helicopter then missiles. Being able to line up with the helicopter on the map makes it much easier to shoot them down.

Also, as mentioned before, we have guns. If you see a sniper put a marker down on him so a jet can strafe him. It's going to save some other squad a lot of grief.

Comment

In my personal experience the only benefit a commander can provide to bombing w/ airplanes is the use of a UAV, Arty, or spotting the enemy attack/transport choppers. When I fly (unless I'm tired or something) I am usually at 100% concentration and whenever a commander gives me orders to bomb a target it is distracting. I usually keep track in my head of what armor spawns where, did I see someone in it, did I just kill someone in it, where is the majority of my team fighting, where is the majority of the enemy, is there an enemy at our unprotected flags etc. However, if the commander gives a simple "APC at the Factory" then I head straight for it simple as that.
                      Whenever my team is winning I just fly in circles at 500-600 altitude and then bomb a flag that turns grey with no friendlies.

So my point is, there isn't much a commander can do to really help a jet pilot out other than use of UAV, Arty (it lets me know that there is a valuable target in that area), or spotting enemy jets/attack choppers.

Like Arf said though, when a jet gets spotted by infantry on the ground it is pretty much game over for the jet (since patch 1.12 or whatever at least) imo.

Also any support the comm can get (like arf said once again) to give the direction of jets would help. If I see a jet on the opposing team getting a lot of bomb kills, I go to their runway at a high altitude and wait for them to refuel, then kill them. This is sort of a waste of time that could be eliminated with some info from the comm scan.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X