Street fighting tank killing tactic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street fighting tank killing tactic

I found that one of the best ways to halt advancing armor, especially Karkand on a 64 player setting, is to have at least one squad of 2-3 guys dedicated to AT with one support. Their job is to follow the sound of any enemy vehicle, preferably tank or APC, and to shoot the hell out of it. No matter how many times they die, they need to keep following the armour and hitting it. They don't have to worry about capturing flags or helping anyone else out, they are dedicated to tank killing.

This is a great tactic and frustratng for the tank drivers. I have seen it work a number of times when I have played on the TG servers or elsewhere. Even groups of 2 tanks, 2 APC's will turn around and run when they hear all the missile lock warnings, even if you don't want to waste your ammo on a long range shot, "paint" you target by zooming in on it and let the tank driver know he is locked on. It helps to stop an advance so that your guys can spawn into the fight again. Dedicated tank killing squads in built-up areas will neutralize your armor headaches. SL's give it a shot. Just let you CO know you will be AT'ing so then he knows not to send you all over the map.
    Don't die for your country, let the other guy die for his!

Re: Street fighting tank killing tactic

This tactic also works very well in more than just Urban areas. Ambushing a column of tanks in a dense forest works like a charm.
    -----

Comment

One thing that should be factored into the equation is coordination of fire. This greatly improves your chances of taking down the armour in question especially if they are accompanied by an engineer or are using two vehicles to mutually repair.

Comment

Yeah, if everyone can hit the tank at the same time thats great, but I think its better to spread your guys out a little so that the tank doesn't kill everyone with one shot. And the reason the support guy is there, is to reload your men faster than the engineer can fix the tank. But a 3 round hit is very damaging and if everyone is focused and playing together, armour is easy points.

This leads me off into another tactic, SL's need to order their men to open fire on helicopters. If a helicopter is hovering nearby and your guys have good cover, hose the chopper down. A few support and assault soldiers can really chew up a helicopter in a short time, and even if it doesn't kill him, it will take the chopper out of the fight as he will most likely go off to get repaired.
        Don't die for your country, let the other guy die for his!

Comment

alternating AT fire is also quite effective, usually the armor will be facing the direction of the last shot, giving a teammate the ability to hit it from another position.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl
            alternating AT fire is also quite effective, usually the armor will be facing the direction of the last shot, giving a teammate the ability to hit it from another position.
            You can do the same thing by yourself by pivoting around two sides of a building or hill if the cover allows.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Being that I play AT a lot. Almost excusively, I agree with many things in this thread. Co-ordination of fire is extremely important and effective. This fire does not have to come from one location either. When I am the only AT guy I will often change locations between shots. I will also put a lock on vehicles just to freak them out. Works well. Sometimes they will get tired of the tone and ignore it for me to kill them.

As far as helos...when I am SL (which isn't much anymore) I have a standng order that all my squad is to fire on helos even if all they have is a pistol. It works great for getting them out of our area.
              "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I would like to add one more point that I don't think was mentioned. If possible, when hunting armor, try to attack from behind the enemy and try to get your shots under the turrent or in the rear. These areas seem to be less protected and more vulnerable. A number of times, I have fired at jeeps speeding up to me head on and they have survived my rocket and then drive over me at the same time. Don't forget that you can "chase" a vehicle while in zoomed mode. What I mean is, if your target moves behind a wall or over a hill you can still move your sight (while in zoomed mode) and follow the target behind the cover and still get a hit. You can use this tactisc too to try and kill an enemy up on a hill behind some sand bags. Just aim slightly high above their position and fire your weapon. When the rocket just passes over their position bring your sight down sharply and the rocket should dive right in on top of your target. I've also been part of AT squads in close maps like Karkand and it is essential to winning the game to have a least one dedicated AT squad. This is esspecially true if you are the MEC since you have to wait forever for your armor to reach you while you have an enemy APC, tank and Humvees on your hands and in your face. Oh, and if you need to use your gun...it is quite helpful to switch to single shot mode and pot away at that guy who is bothering you. The submachine gun is pretty powerful if you put it on single shot and the chances of winning an engagement is good. (I mean this for a guy taking shots at you from acroos the street or from a roof top, not close range).

Comment

Karkand? Tank? AT? LOL! Use C4, though I am an AT for life I will always use C4 on karkand, the AT missile lock gets you killed and the AT missile doesnt kill quickly enough.

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement