Suggestions for SL's who Lead with the Chin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for SL's who Lead with the Chin

How to figure out if your an SL who leads by the chin?

1) Die first in any enemy engagement.
    2) First on the enemy flag when it's still defended.
    3) The flag your defending has turned white and you charge to get it back.

Yea, sometimes you have to do that, but most of the time when you "lead by the chin" your going to get knocked out and have to make that same long run over and over again.

1) In order to gain the most momentum on attack, it's best to have someone else take point on your way to the flag. Don't be the first one people shoot at and most importantly, know when to retreat a bit. Your most important duty is to give your people a chance to take the flag. Feel out the battle. If the enemy is following your squad mates back to you, circle and allow your newly spawning troops to set up to flank the enemy. Once you feel the momentum switch your way, tell your guys to GET ON THAT FLAG. Make sure your guys rekit appropriately as they come back in.

2) Don't be the first on the flag when it's still defended. Find a good overwatch spot, direct your players onto the flag and help them pick off the defenders as they collapse back in towards the flag. They will come out of their hiding spots to get that flag back in the air. Pick them off as they return. Your squad will then charge back in to reclaim the flag.

3) Your flag has just gone white and your the last defender left? Charge that flag, right? NO! Grenade the flag while retreating. Give your guys who were overwhelmed a second chance to take that flag back. It should be easy as the enemy is contained mostly within that radius. If it took your entire squad the first time, it will likely take your entire squad a second time to wrench that flag back.

I used to be an SL who led by the chin all the time. However, I smartened up and now follow these simple steps and stay alive much longer. It also makes it a lot more fun for my squad who doesn't have to worry about long unsuccessful runs into flags or getting swept off flags I am defending.

Agree, disagree, add on.

Lucky Shot

Re: Suggestions for SL's who Lead with the Chin

I'll agree with what you said Lucky. I have a real bad habit of leading with my chin as you put it. It's a hard habit to break as a SL. Sometimes the guys in my squad will remind me, "Bill why don't you stay back a little bit while we attack the flag" good to have a good squad to keep you straight sometimes.

I"m getting better at not doing those things but every once in awhile...LOL

Bill
    Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

1. Thats what medics are for.
      2. The more people on the flag, the faster it changes.
      3. No Comment :)

I agree with you that a SL will probably live longer by following these rules but... well everybody knows how I SL. Just not my cup of tea, I'm bloodthirsty.
      |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Viper
        1. Thats what medics are for.
        2. The more people on the flag, the faster it changes.
        3. No Comment :)

I agree with you that a SL will probably live longer by following these rules but... well everybody knows how I SL. Just not my cup of tea, I'm bloodthirsty.
        I hear ya Viper. Much of this came about from my CO'ing stint tonight on two different maps. I saw some squads who would get close to their objective and the first to die on the attack almost always was the SL. It didn't give their squad a second chance to rekit appropriately on attacks.

I also saw at one flag where the flag turned gray, the only guy who was left was the SL. He went charging right in and of course died. Had he waited for more friendlies, that squad probably would have taken that flag back. At one other time 2 squads tried to hit 1 flag, but even with overwhelming numbers, the defenders won out. In that case, the SL's fell early so the attack fizzled out quickly. I can spot all I want, drop supplies, Use the UAV and Arty, but it's still up to the SL's to get that flag and they can't do it when they're dead.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Agree big time. Good thread and sound tactics.
          (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
          (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
          (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
          Squad Leader pledge to their team:
          Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Yep. I still charge harder than I should, but I'm better at it than I used to be. We had some great assaults and defenses tonight on Great Wall where I sat removed from the action spotting everyone attacking, but on Karkand we stalled a couple times because I was in too early. Either way, it's good advice.
            Beatnik

Comment

I've never led by the chin. This is evident since I rarely get revived. If I go down and don't get revived, most likely it's because our whole squad got run over. That is, I'm rarely the first one to die.

On offense I like to circle around a flag at a what I think is the minimum safe distance, giving my squad multiple chances to take the flag from different angles. I'll use whatever cover I can find; and I'll pick my shots carefully, not firing if I'm outnumbered without any backup.

On defense I like to roam around the perimeter, and I'll very rarely go into the flag radius unless I'm absolutely certain that the area is clear. If my squad is down and enemies are on the flag, I'll fall back, let my squad spawn on me and have them attack the flag. This is important since we still have a presence in the area even if they're able to take the flag. It gives us a chance to mount a counter offensive before they can organize a defense. I think I'm probably a better defensive squad leader.

In either case, I try never to stay still too long. But I don't charge in. I stay on the perimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot
                Much of this came about from my CO'ing stint tonight on two different maps. I saw some squads who would get close to their objective and the first to die on the attack almost always was the SL. It didn't give their squad a second chance to rekit appropriately on attacks.
                Great post, Lucky. This is my biggest headache whenever I CO; seeing a squad full of talentend individuals rush into a lightly defended flag and go down in a flash OR get overrun on defense and ask "where do we respawn?!?!". Both of these things happen occasional but if during every single engagement with the enemy the end result is failure it probably has to do with an overzealous SL trying to carry the squad on his shoulders and not keeping the overall picture in mind. Officers wear their rank on their necks and not their arms for a reason.

If you want to SL, be the brains of the outfit; let others be the brawn.

Comment

I just have to add something here. I've deduced that if my squad can't take a flag on the first assault, they probably won't take it after respawning on me. Reasoning is that the enemy is going to repawning all over the place (usually in my squad's blind spot) and start shooting my guys in the back or chuckin' nades all over the flag area. I pretty much only hide on flags where I know the opfor will repawn at (like Sharqi TV station they can only respawn courtyard or roof) or if I'm waiting by a vehicle spawn, so we can steal it after it pops to help with the capture.

I routinely do well with a squad of random people and the neutralize flag first, kill defenders later approach. I play to have fun, not to cater to my squad's reincarnation location. :row__631:

I've found what works for me and everybody knows that joining my squad, whether good or bad, will never be boring. I always get people who seriously say, "DV stop dying so much!". I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you don't like how I SL, I'm not forcing you to stay in my squad now am I? :row__690:
                  |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
                    I've never led by the chin. This is evident since I rarely get revived. If I go down and don't get revived, most likely it's because our whole squad got run over. That is, I'm rarely the first one to die.

On offense I like to circle around a flag at a what I think is the minimum safe distance, giving my squad multiple chances to take the flag from different angles. I'll use whatever cover I can find; and I'll pick my shots carefully, not firing if I'm outnumbered without any backup. .

This in my opinion is an absolute key. Moving around the perimeter of a flag that you are assaulting not only gives your squad mates different angles of approach but also doesnt let the other team key on where your squad is coming from and thus hunt down the SL.
                    Ill get in a good spot have everyone spawn on me,send in my troops and while they are moving in on the flag im moving around the perimeter so when they spawn again im in a total other direction.
                    I guess some people have the gaming skill to lead by the chin and not die alot....i dont,so i always hang back when SL. To me the LEAST fun part about this game is the transporting around from one flag to another,with a SL that leads by the chin you will most likely be doing this ALOT.

Comment

This is why being a sniper SL isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Generally I'm already in a position that can overlook the flag and relay info to my SM's as they move off of me in order to maximize our assault.

Also, being somewhat removed from the flag it makes it easier to move around the perimeter to give my SM's better attacking angles while keeping overwatch of the entire area as the assault or defense develops...
                      Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                        Ah, so you were the SL. No wonder you ran like a little girl everytime I saw you.
                        Tell me Bom - what do 4 AT rockets flying at you in unison look like? ;)

I believe all the best SLs are the guys who can stay alive as close to the flag as possible. While I rarely put myself on the flag, you also won't find me hiding off in a corner somewhere. I like to be right there watching the minimap, spotting enemies and covering blind-spots for my SMs. One of the advantages of not hiding is that you can pick off enemies who are concentrating their fire on the rest of your squad and choose the right time when you feel it's ready for your squad to hit the flag.
                        That's a great point, and probably best defines how I SL. Where I get into trouble is when I get in too close. The 1st MIP has caught me this way a few times recently, where a defender would be way off the flag and have me flanked as I got in to 'hide'.

Another great practice is to serve as rotating spawn point. e.g. Approach from the South, let your squad assault as you flank west, then head north. If the first assault is unsuccessful, they respawn on you, then assault from the north, typically hitting the enemy in the back as they stack their defense south. Then neutralizing the flag and getting at least a couple guys down is relatively easy.

This is a great thread because it's making me actually think about SL strategies again. It's been a while since we've seen a SL tactics thread. :)
                        Beatnik

Comment

Lots of good SL's weighing in here. I'd say as a squad member, I favor Viper's approach (getting the flag white is the most important thing) since it's the most fun, but that requires a very active and aware squad. As a sometimes squad leader, especially in Tacmod where there are no commander assets, I prefer to find a well covered spot and let my squad move in while I stay back.

Comment

Very interesting thread. I happen to believe that chance and being in the right place at the right time has a little pull as well. Keep the strategies coming. Maybe one day I'll learn enough to be confident to lead a squad as effectively as some of the other posters in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot
                              3) Your flag has just gone white and your the last defender left? Charge that flag, right? NO!
                              Exactly right, in this critical moment your job as SL is to turn your one gun into six.

Think of it this way, its almost as if you were attacking a moment ago and you've got the flag neutral, but one or two of their defenders cleared the flag, if you were attacking in the first place you would want your sqaud to all spawn and go in together for the second wave attack, wouldn't you?

As for grenading the flag, I reckon this depends, the most important thing is to be the safe spawn point and grenading may give your position away.

I believe all the best SLs are the guys who can stay alive as close to the flag as possible
                              Staying alive very close to the flag is the real key between OK and good SLing, I think. As a general rule of thumb I like to stay between a third and 2 thirds sprint away from the flag and I find the main way to do this is to first get in a close position that is out of sight off their spawn points, then after 2 waves spawn on me I relocate, then relocate after each wave spawns on me. Also, of course you need to be instructing your squad to get on the flag, and give that instruction repeatedly.
                              _
                              Last edited by Exploding_Silver; 07-04-2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X