Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assigned kits? Does anyone do this anymore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assigned kits? Does anyone do this anymore?

Iíve been thinking about this for a little while. I think Iím going back to assigning kits when I squad lead. My question to you is do you get bothered when a squad leader assigns you a kit? There was a similar discussion in the early days of BF2 about preference of assigned versus flexible kits. I was in favor of flexible kits back then. Most of us squad leaders are loose with our kits nowadays and Iím finding that more often than not my squad mates spawn in with kits more offensive oriented (i.e. lack of engineers, anti-tank, and snipers). When requested to defend, my squad canít adapt as easily since the only way to switch kits and prepare for a solid defense is by getting killed and or killing someone else and taking their kits. A very reactive way of defending in my opinion. Iím going to try and go back to assigned kits with limited flexibility to adapt to what my squad objectives are. Iím hoping my squad mates donít bark at me for it. Your thoughts?

Re: Assigned kits? Does anyone do this anymore?

I assign kits when I SL if it is required. I usually ask for volunteers (ie "I need one medic") and if no one pipes up I assign it. I also try to make sure people play kits they are comfortable with.
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I'll usually state how many of (insert kit) that I need. I'll let people pick from that list. When the need comes to change, I'll pick which kit I want to get rid of and which I want it replaced with.

Rarely do I tell the squad to pick any kit they want. At most, I might say I need three anti-personel kits.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

I assign kits if the objective is specific, and if I see the current kit loadout probably wont work. At first spawn, I usually either point out how many of each we need (as Asch said) or a more gerneral "We're going against infantry, take anti infantry kits.

Basically, I just rewrote what Asch said. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Shafik
          I assign kits if the objective is specific, and if I see the current kit loadout probably wont work. At first spawn, I usually either point out how many of each we need (as Asch said) or a more gerneral "We're going against infantry, take anti infantry kits.

Basically, I just rewrote what Asch said. :)
          Plagiarizer!
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

I love it when SL assign kits.

I think psychologically, when SL assign kits to SM's it adds another level of leadership/"sense of direction" to the "pack". In additional, it gives a good an clear signal to all the SM that the SL has formulated some kind of a plan already (which may or may not be the case), this adds alot to the morale of the whole squad and makes the SL's decisions that much more "believable".

I've read somewhere that:
            "The worst decision a leader can make is not a bad decision, but no decision at all; and sometimes a bad decision may not turned out to be so bad when enough people believed in it."

.....kind of wandered off the topic a little bit...(>_<")
            Last edited by RocketPunch; 07-31-2006, 06:28 PM.
            Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I remember a long time ago on Songhua Stalemate, I came in joined a squad and they were allisgned to defense. I was told to come in as engineer which I never do because I don't really like the shotgun. Even though not much happened for the rest of the round where we were defending, it was a good game and I enjoyed it because I was kept busy laying mines and repairing vehicles. So the moral of the story is, assign kits. :)
              |TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                I love it when SL assign kits.

I think psychologically, when SL assign kits to SM's it adds another level of leadership/"sense of direction" to the "pack". In additional, it gives a good an clear signal to all the SM that the SL has formulated some kind of a plan already (which may or may not be the case), this adds alot to the morale of the whole squad and makes the SL's decisions that much more "believable".

I've read somewhere that:
                "The worst decision a leader can make is not a bad decision, but no decision at all; and sometimes a bad decision may not turned out to be so bad when enough people believed in it."

.....kind of wandered off the topic a little bit...(>_<")
                Very valiant, vibrate and valued post RP.
                Victory to the vocation of SL who has the vision to be vocal and vary their kit selections for their visiting squad members.

Nice thread NorCal.

I try to assign kits and two three man fire teams. The biggest thing to assign is the medic roles. " U are bravo teams medic, u will never ditch this kit unless told to change kits." The other two members of Bravo are ordered to use body armor kits unless ordered other wise cause they will be on point and support other squads.

This works out well when a Tank or such is around. I just say Bravo go AT (if they are down). That means i'll get two AT kits ready to go. If u do not do this u will be stuck with like four AT kits and no medic.

The problem is this does not work out well. People join your squad without checking in, grab a kit they like and sometines they ditch their kits all together!!

Things work well when things go right. For example Friday vanillia night NorCal was Bravo leader with jmaker as medic and Foxoq more Body Armor. I gave NorCal command of the three man team while Alpha looked after Mosque. They went to were they needed when things happen and let me know what was going on so I could relay it up the chain of command.

When we attacked Hill later, I said Bravo take point. NorCal lead them in and we the squad took two differnt routes.

Having assigned kits and assigned fire teams are critical. These are the small things i try to use to be more competitive on the battlefield.
                (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

I assign kits only when I need to.

I also assign positions only when I need to.. i.e. we move into a hot zone. OR If we are in a scrim.. I always play a scrim different than a regular night (less beer ;))

My job when I SL is the 'middle picture' - when people join in they are going to want to play their favorite kit.. sometimes they will look at the squad loadout and pick the kit they are best at for the area the squad is weakest in - and last but not at all least - if they don't know, they ask.

I seem to always end up with a really good squad.

When I am an SM.. I prefer direction and communication from the SL, but I always hope it sort of goes along with me own guidelines. :)
                  sigpic

Comment

I assign kits, cos deep down i like telling people what to do ;)

Comment

I'm thinking a good balance kit assignment might include the following:
                      SL: Medic-myself cause I more often than not rely on myself to stay alive while my squad attacks the flag
                      2 medics
                      1 assualt/Spec Ops (option depending on objective)
                      1 AT
                      1 Engineer/ 2nd Engineer (option depending on objective)

I haven't really tried but my goal is to implement something similar to the irregs fire team setup with the squad split in two groups: 1 with 2 ppl and 1 with 3. Each pair includes a medic to work on keeping their respective group alive and if one medic falls at least the other members in their respective pair could pick up their kit. I figure a support class could be subtituted with a good commander and his supply drops.

Comment

Here is my ideal set up:

Alpha: SL= Assault or any kit for the environment.
                        Alpha 2= Support
                        Alpha 3= Medic

Bravo. Bravo Leader= Any kit for the environment
                        Bravo 2= Any kit for the environment
                        Bravo 3= medic

This set up allows the squad to be self reliant. Furthermore it always the Bravo team to be self reliant if Bravo leader or Bravo two is support.

I'll always have med packs and support bags spawning on me!! cool uhh?
                        If i pick a kit like medic or support the persons who spawn on me will already be at full health and ammo. However, the medic kit for SL is wise, many a time the squad is saved by grabing the SLs kit and saving him/her.

I like myself and Bravo leader and Bravo two to be the x factores for the squad.
                        However, it is a good idea to switch things up the next map.

One thing i am going to start doing is taking the extra time to set this up. Sure it may take 20 seconds into the map to get this worked out but it is well worth it later.

P.S. during certain mission objectives things will change. Bravo medic will be the first to go to the x factor and take any kit.

Also, i recommend players practicing with other kits instead of focusing on one kit. It makes things more fun and u will impress your friends.
                        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Two medics with clear roles are the backbone of a fireteam strategy. I've been wanting to use that for a long time, but it's hard to do in a constantly changing battlefield. I ALWAYS like it when a SL puts me in a fireteam though and assigns a kit. (Plz don't forget to select a fireteam leader).

Comment

I usually give a list of what I need and let people choose from that list. It irritates me when I hear "I'm not good with those kits, I'm going sniper". Or when I look down and I have 4 spec ops, 1 assault and no medics. Then when I am having a hard time getting people to switch kits, I just leave the squad and go Commander :D

Comment

After many revisions of kit assignment protocol, 1st MIP is currently using a hybrid approach (fixed/flexible).

Alpha fireteam has fixed kits
                              A1 (fireteam leader): Support
                              A2: Assault
                              A3: Medic

Bravo fireteam and SL's kit assignment is flexible and complements Alpha depending on the map and mission.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X