Tell your SL what he's doing wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell your SL what he's doing wrong

There's a great way to make a squad leader feel bad, have his whole squad ditch him. I was playing on Fallen just now and figured I'd have a go at squad leading, I have never really done it before, I usually just go as a squad member. So anyway, I was doing my best with my limited experience, then when I set a new order, I looked at the minimap and noticed there were no green markers, I assumed they had all been killed, so I pressed tab, oh look, my squad is empty, and, oh look, they are in another squad.

I'm not whining, I'm just saying, if your squad leader is doing a bad job tell him why, don't ditch him.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: Tell your SL what he's doing wrong

That sucks man, I used to have that happen all the time. I just kept the squad open from round to round and people would join, then leave to join better SL's squads. It took me some time to get my arms around the SL position and for people to trust in what I was doing.

Hey, if it helps, drop me a line and we can hit the private server to run through how to use the SL interface as well as some strategies on how to be an effective SL.

Lucky Shot

Comment

I find that communicating with your squad members really helps retain them as well; this goes double for when things are going poorly.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Lucky Shot, check your PMs :)

I will try communicating with my squad more in future, there wasn't really much to say at that point though, we were defending and holding off attack, everyone else seemed to have the contact reports covered.

I have a question, when capping a flag, should the SL keep out of the way so people can spawn on him or what?
        |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
          I looked at the minimap and noticed there were no green markers, I assumed they had all been killed, so I pressed tab, oh look, my squad is empty, and, oh look, they are in another squad.
          I'm actually skeptical everyone left your squad unannounced. There's a button (I believe it's "insert") that automatically creates a new squad when you hit it. Honestly it's a silly feature to have, because one minute you're leading your guys into battle and the next you're wandering around by yourself scratching your head...

I'm pretty confident this is what happend in your case, Lorian...

Comment

I don't think so, they weren't all in the same squad, and the squad leaders weren't from my squad...
            |TG| Lorian

Comment

Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times in the past. Don't let it get you down though. SLing has a learning curve. Keep working on it. Always communicate with your squad members.

Bill
              Bill

|TG-33rd|BigBill

Comment

Probably just a case of guys who knew each other getting together. Maybe the SL of the other squad was one of the PoE devs and you didn't know.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Don't worry about it Lorian, there are a million reasons why people might leave your squad. Leaving the game, evening teams, trying to SL themselves, switching to an air squad, going to another style squad (demolition, sniper, etc.), going to the squad of someone they haven't seen in awhile, joining their in-house squad, or because they don't fit your SL style.

I think most people would feel awkward telling a SL what they think he's doing wrong.

Comment

"Soldiers would rather die with a purpose than live without one. Show them why they exist and you shall have your team."

- Punch 5:33
                    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

As important as it is to communicate to a squad you are leading it is just as important to communicate to a SL. If you notice a new SL that is struggling you don;t necessarily need to critisize him but give him some suggestions that might help him improve as a SL. I always liked it when I asked for suggestions people would give them or suggest them on their own.

Stick with it Lorian you'll get better it just takes some time that's all. If I see you SLing again I will try and hop in with ya!
                      sigpic

Comment

No worries mate, I got your back.
                        (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                        (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                        (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                        Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                        Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys :) I will have another go at squad leading tonight.
                          |TG| Lorian

Comment

I'd also suggest you tell the guys up front that you have limited experience as a SL and ask them for help. You'll get buy in from the squad and they'll then know you are on a learning curve.

I find myself doing a bit of SL with the upswell of POE. When the 1st MIP is together I rarely SL because we are lucky to have some damn fine Squad leaders and I'm quite satisfied to support them and their orders as a SM.

But things are different with POE on the upswing. With so many new faces on the server I'm having a blast being SL while I do my best to show the new guys the TG way. I let my squaddies take the initiative, choose their kit assignments and generally place themselves as they see fit. Only when I have a specific comment about troop placement or manning a defensive weapon do I issue a specific order. It's also important to keep telling your guys that they are doing a good job...even when you lose an objective don't get down...encourage them to keep them motivated. I also give new two or three chances to come into the fold before kicking them for not following orders...and I'll say I need you on the ground or at my location.

When attacking don't underestimate the power of falling back and regrouping. It's better to fall back alive then to die as a group on a fruitless assault. Assemble your men and deliver at least a general plan before you begin an attack or at the beginning of a defensive stand.

I'm adequate at best as a SL but it's fun to lead good guys and quite an honor to take the helm when you have some of the more senior TG'ers in your squad. Don't be afraid to ask for advice and help from your squadmates...especially if they are senior guys.

I didn't mean to start a SL guide here...there are others who have done that to great success. B (in game player name) comes to mind as the author of some fine SL Guides...here are two links to them:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...d+leader+guide

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...d+leader+guide

Being a SL is a bit daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it's easy. Leading a buch of seasoned TG'ers at first seems a daunting task because of their ability and skills--but eventually you'll see what an asset having those guys on your squad really is.

Next time I see you SL I'm in !!
                            sigpic
                            |TG-1st|Grunt
                            ARMA Admin (retired)
                            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
                              I'm actually skeptical everyone left your squad unannounced. There's a button (I believe it's "insert") that automatically creates a new squad when you hit it. Honestly it's a silly feature to have, because one minute you're leading your guys into battle and the next you're wandering around by yourself scratching your head...

I'm pretty confident this is what happend in your case, Lorian...
                              HAppens to me ALL the fricking time!!!...You'd think i would remember to remap that key!

"Ok....smoke sometimes works."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X