• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence squad (poe2)

Defence squad.

Job: To defend the two rear bases.

Consist of:
    2 tanks (both engineer or 1 engineer, 1 stinger)
    1 mobile AA (special forces)
    2 assaults
    1 support

The squad uses a lot of the tanks from the ucb but I think that is fair. One: because they are responsible for two bases. Two: because the ucb is close, the front bases are to far away to attack with the tanks from the ucb. Three: Because at the front bases there will be little AA.

The spcial forces should take out bridges and lay c4 around the flag. Engineers should lay mines off course.

The rear bases are likely to be attacked by single tanks because of the distance to the ucb of the opponent. This way this squad should be able to withstand most attacks.
    Hear ye, of the dragon, Smoke is his name.
    Solely surviving the fires,
    and sad and angry he became.
    Until his angre became dismay,
    as the elders sent him away.

Now we can hear his wings, once a year,
    And, his empty cry we fear.
    Sad old Smoke, out there in the rain,
    We can feel your suffering, we can feel your pain.

Re: Defence squad (poe2)

Is this on highway to hell? I remember you leading a defence squad for the two rear flags there, is that what the above plan is for? But there's no bridges...:row__687:

Comment

It's for the maps in general, because everymap has only five flags having a strong squad defending the two rear bases really helps out.

Comment

I disagree on specops taking out bridges. Artillery is a lot better at that. Otherwise good points.
        --
        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Props to powersmoker for staying on defense with his squad almost the entire map a few nights ago. I never had the chance to say it, but you did a great job, and were one of the only squad leaders who actually felt like following orders.

Comment

I've been taking a different approach to the same defensive goal. Last night the experiement met with tremendous failure though so take it with a grain of salt.

I've been stubbornly trying to salvage the infantry gameplay side of PoE through AT ambushes set up ahead of the CP you are defending along the route of approach. When leading a full squad this didn't work out so well because you really just have way too many people than you need and command and control becomes an unnecesary burden. Unfortunately because locked squads are frowned so heavily upon, I am stuck with that. In the end we were out flanked by enemies taking another route that I left uncovered as I was concerned with the ambush rather than the overall defense. It would've been impossible to employ this tactic along both routes however as they are most often at least 100 meters apart on opposite sides of the flag and the squad was toally new to this tactic through their omission. C&C would've been impossible.

Later however I wasn't SL and as a solo element of a defense squad this has had tremendous success. A lone AT along the route of a approach, even one that is open like a plain and not channelized was a huge help. Not only can you spot armor in advance of it engaging friendlies, such spots often result in its elemination by arty or air forces before they cause any harm. In the event that that is not the case, as they creep toward the CP, you often have time between when you first hear them(before you can see them because this tactic depends on being prone or rarely crouched if in concealed terrain) to maneuver into position for at least one rear armor shot. This panics the driver making their assualt much more ineffective at worse, or halts it allowing for a second shot resulting in their elimination.

The foresight of a SL that would reinforce such efforts with an additional AT could quite possibly effectively neutralize the armor threat on a CP by slowing their advance in these now feared ambush approaches, allowing a wider front of advance spotting and rear AT attacks, and allow tandem attacks on single targets resulting in immediate elimination. A support kit both distracts dismounted infantry(a constant and quite lethally effective counter to this tactic) and resupplies the ambushers allowing them to penetrate deeper between ambushes rather than run back to the CP and return to the position their attack is now expected to come from. Of course at this point it is a 3 man ambush team on one front and you run into the problem I earlier descibed as a SL of diluting your CP defense on the CP proper.

Conclusion: Single or dual advance AT ambushes are very effective but forces larger than that currently appear to suffer from counter-productive depletion of squad resources until tactics can be refined as people become more experienced with the mod.

Note: This strategy involves the tactical use of mines to channelize armor, concealment and fire discipline to entice armor to outflank itself, and a certain keen patient patrolling observation depending on sound often more than sight to effectively maneuver for engagement. Also when picking targets I think as a lone gunmen your goal is to disrupt and confuse the armor formation rather than to wait for optimal shootinng situations that maximize damage inflicted. The reason for this is becuase the second you are spotted you are dead and that second could come, at any second. So if you ever see a chance to successfully hit rear armor, take it as that shot is often your last.
            Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
            live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
            Friend me!

Comment

Also as far a blowing bridges goes I think it is ill-advised. Keep them C4ed and ready to blow, but having friendly armor's advance inhibited makes capturing and dedicating yourself to the defense of a bridgehead CP less advantageous if the bridge it controls isn't operational for your team's advance. Why even hold that CP instead of let arty keep the bridge closed and leave the CP in enemy hands? I can see if you are jsut maintaining bleed but even then. Let the defense of your bleed happen on their last flags rather than on the flags where your defeat oculd be the end of your bleed.

Again this comes formt eh ambush mindset of advancing the defense to its extremity and weakening the enemy force enroute to its target in a defense in depth, scorched earth sort of way. If given the choice as a SL or CO I see no reason to choose to have an enemy force arrive at your crucial bleed-inducing CPs at full strength unmolested when they can arrive damaged even if the defenders are fresh respawns from the previously decimated ambushing force.
              Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
              live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
              Friend me!

Comment

In reply to ABRA.

First had a great round with you trying that ambush squad. It wasn't so effective at that time, then again we were mainly attacked by infantry.

What I write for is that you made me remember an old round I once played as a SL. We Held off one to two squads attacking us with all out armor from the ucb just close by (we were defending the SE flag on fushe). It was an incredible round. I still don't get what made that possible, except for good squadmembers and a reasonably defendably flag.

Your post made me think of a possible reason. On that map I speciffically asked Penguineer (if I remember well) to move towards the enemy with the AT and take cover on a crest south of the road the came by. This is like the tactic you describe, a lone at (with acces to supplies though) disrupting the enemy advance, while we had mines at the fence entrance. I know thet Pengy just did a great job, as the rest of the squad, but maybe the is more to it then that.

I am definitly going to try and use at's in this fashion and see how it works out. Come to think of it you may always want to ave your AT's away from the flag, since armor will be looking there first.

+Interesting new ideas about those bridges!

Comment

I think that there only being 5 capable flags per map makes the overall strategies boring. Take 3 flags and defend. Go for 4 if you want, but there really isn't a challenge in holding a few flags if you have a few 6 people squads.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid View Post
                    I think that there only being 5 capable flags per map makes the overall strategies boring. Take 3 flags and defend. Go for 4 if you want, but there really isn't a challenge in holding a few flags if you have a few 6 people squads.

Yep, agreed.

The maps just need more chokepoints. I still really would like to see a map with just one control point, but with chokepoints in front of it to distract the fighting.
                    Poe 2 got it down on small scale, the bigger picture is where it goes wrong. To open, to much flaghopping.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X