Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoE2 squad formations

How do, TG community

I just finshed a solo practice of looking at the vehicles and such for the Mod.

I would like to brainstorm some ideas on squad formations.

we are familar with jets and choppers, but since many maps are so heavly vehicle I would like to brain storm squad member numbers and what pieces they carry.

AA squad. Primary objective is to destroy the enemy air force.

The idea: SL orders indivual members to certain locations in order to best protect flags and such from enemy A. The squad will ultilaze vehicles and stationary weapons to get the job done. When needed, the squad will assist in other measures.
    Ukraine vehicles:

Shilka (Ukraine) aka the infantry slayer. single seater. Shoots wicked bullets at doomed target. Choppers who get close are done for.
    This can be used as an CB flag supressur. It will get infantry off the flag real quick.

MT-LB SA-13 (Ukraine) This two seater allows the driver to shot AA missiles as well as a enclosed machine gun for the gunner.
    It also acts as a troop transport!!

German

Gepard (Germany) This one seater allows the driver to left click for dual cannons and right click for AA missiles.

Both teams, I think.
    Zu23 (Ukraine) The immoble big gun. These are found in various flags. Some of these are located quite a distance from the flag.
    I am pretty sure both sides get these even tho it is Udraine.

The AA personnel will get the AA kits at the UCB when they spawn in before leaving.

Numbers. 4-6. Depending upon server population.
    Garage. Initial Deployment, the squad gets the AA vehicles.
    Maps: Everyting execept FAllen, Orel, Carpathian Mountain, Rivine and the big Z.

Pros
    The team will always have a squad that is deticated to destroying the enemy air.

The members in the squad will enjoy having a special task to do.

If the squad is spread out on the map they can spot and communicate to each other were the enemy air force is, allowing them to collectivly bring them down.

If the CO or SL lets the jets and chopper squad know they have all the AA covered in the game, the friendly air can fly over friednly instillations and allow the AA squad to watch their back. For example the SL is in a AA vehicele. Friendly air knows the squad number so they fly over him/her to get support. This in turn will give more action to the AA squad if the friendly air is bring the enemy to their kill zone.

Cons

Without a CO it will be hard to allow the AA squad to get their vehicles when they begin the game.

Furthermore, it would be hard for the AA squad to get their vehicles later in the game when infantry squads are using them.

Some players may find it boring to camp an stationary AA and wait for enemy air to come by. However, if a friendly plane goes by the airstrip and is smoking with a boggy on its back and u help get the beast off his back, that is pure teamwork. Plus it keeps the Top Gun in the Air to destroy the enemy.

Hard for CO and SL to manage things. Knowledge of map and vehicle layout is important.

With just 32 players per side, the AA squad just my not be practical. The Infantry at the flag will be manning the immoble AA... Seems like this AA squad can be devided between Infantry and tanks.

In Conclusion, this type of squad has promise, but the SL will need to know the map well in order to maximix it potintial. The AA squad will work best during pass word night. During teen wolf hour it may not be so hot.

Feel free to make suggestions about this type of squad. More pros and more cons.
    Other squads. Feel free to write up an SOP.

Infantry Airborne. 9 9 9 9 9 999999
    Tanks/APC
    Infantry legs.
    A. assault
    B. AT
    C. Fast movers
    D. Support
    E. Snipers/Arty

remember, with just three flags to hold bleed the CO has a lot of members to specialze on certain tasks. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 09-07-2006, 10:34 AM.
    (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
    (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
    (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
    Squad Leader pledge to their team:
    Commander pledge to their SL:

Re: PoE2 squad formations

Infantry Airborne.

Squad names: Airborne / 9 9 9 999

The idea: exploit the choppers large seat load by moving Infantry across the large maps with speed and more saftey.
    Due to the fact that Infantry without armor are vunerable to extinction on most maps, Chopper use will help get them to their objective faster.
    The CO tells Chopper pilot he needs x squad picked up and moved to y spot. The chopper SL will delegate this to his pilots.
    When the team is bleeding and needs to attack, the Chopper squad will need to go into transport mode. When the enemy is bleeding they can go more into destroy mode cause the I. Airborne squad will be defending a flag.
    When the Infantry A are defending a flag, a Designated chopper should patrol the area. This better defend the flag and allow them to get repaired and resupplied by the Infantry below. Furthermore, it will allow the chopper to be close by if they need a dust off.

Squad size: Full six man squad. With two pilots and a full Infantry Airborne squad, the Gunship will be maxed.
    Numbers of squads per Platoon. 1-2. This will allow 12 players plus 4 pilots for a total of 16 players. This is half your team.
    Note: this only takes place on High way to Hell were the Ukraines have two Hind-Ds on the map.
    Normally it is one gunship, one transport. The transports carry 8 people.

Kits: Engineer should be included in the squad when expecting a dust off or when spawning in a chopper. Keeping your Chopper friends happy when they stick their neck out to pick u up will keep them motivated to transport u around.
    Same with support. Giving them amo will really motivate them to work with u.

Pro. This will get the choppers doing somthing else rather than focussing on being a gunship.

This will add an extra diminsion to the game that will bring about more teamwork.

The infantry can negotiate these large maps with more ease.

The choppers will be getting more repair and ammo support from other team mates.

It is fun to work with Choppers instead of being destroyed by them.

Cons
    CO is needed to communicate Dust offs and a way coordinates. This option is useliess without good communication.

If teen wolf is in the Chopper, the Infantry Airborne just lost the Airborne cause they will not get a pick up at all.

In Conclusion, this type of tactic will provide speed and a added saftey to the grunt as they acquire flags and defend them. In turn this will force pilots to foucus on a dual role adding more depth to the game.

Here is radio transmission I would like to over hear over the Platoon's radio channel:
    SL4 (Infantry) They are guarding a CB, but their armor keeps getting spawned killed by surronding tanks, plus they are pinned down behind some buildings.

SL 4: This is 4 do u copy? [voice is stressed]
    CO: Roger that 4, come on back.
    SL4: I got armor blowing my guys all to hell!!! my tanks are bingo, they kill them when they spawn!!! We need support!! do u read!!
    CO: At ease 4, Were are they hitting u from? over.
    SL4: Every were!!! Mostly to our west and north maybe 150 meters away. Hell, we can't even get a spot on them!!!
    CO: Give me a second, over. [CO communicates to chopper SL.]
    4 u there?
    SL4: 10-4
    CO: I am sending Dark Viper over to take care of it now. So its being handled, over.
    SL4:... Blank..., well hell, that's all u had to say.
    CO: affirmative.

What happend: The CO went into zoom mode and located the armor and gave the attack vectors to the transport chopper. The CO tells the infantry Squad leader and chopper pilot the situation and plan during the flight over. The tranport pilot sent his chopper in low from the opposite direction and drooped paratropers down on the seperate armor vehicles positions. Due to the fact that they were so focused on killing the enemy, the armor did not see the AT kits put mines down and then shoot at them to get them to move. They also missed the spec Op kits place C4 on their back side. Never knew what hit them.

P.S. doing High Altidude Low Elevation jumps is sort of cheap. So Chopper pilots try to keep those to a minimum.
    Also, I Airborne SL, try not to have your squad spawn on u several times in order to cap a flag, this is cheap. After the third spawn in, u should go down with your squad in order to cap the flag. Chopper pilots are not a big fan of hovering around at your leasure, plus they do not want ot get strifed by a plane. In fact the Inf A are totally depended on the Choppe squad. So if see the pilot spam, bail out, they are most likely going to leave the area real soon.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 09-07-2006, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Choppers. I was not going to write about this, but discussion is needed becasue the Chopper has changed greatly.

Squad names for transport. Chopper / Transport / other (I really do not know all the cool names)
      Squad names for gunships. Gunship

Note: The Tiger [Germnay] gunship only carrys two pilots; The Hind-D [Ukraine] carrys two pilots and 6 passengers.
      The NH90 [Germany] transport carries one pilot and 7 passengers. The Mi17 [Ukraine] carrys 1 pilot and five passengers.
      This is very interesting. This makes for interesting gaming. On one hand the HindD- is the ultimate transport casue it can defend itself pretty well, on the same hand the Ukraine Mi17 transport is piss weak cause it cannot pick up an entire 6 man squad. One the other hand the German Tiger is a two seat gunship that focuses on killing things, on the same hand, the NH90 transport is sick awsome because it seats one pilot and 7 passengers. Very interesting indeed.

The Idea for transports and the Hind D: use the destructive nature of the vehicle as well as its ability to transport friendlys.
      It is important for the CO and pilots to get into a transport frame of mind.

Transport choppers on offense. Pretty simple here, pilot and gunner/engineer risk it all to transport the grunts here and there.
      Transport chopper on defese. Due to the nasty air in the game, these guys should find some cover and stay clear of the skys. However, they could act like as fishing bait and lure gunships into infantry AA nests. They can also set up their chopper so that the gunner can provide an extra view to a kill. Granted, these transports will not live long out side a UCB but they can have fun defending the flag as best they can. It would be good for your kill death ratio to go back to the acid pad at the UCB, but the CO may need u closer to the Infantry in case they needed a transport.
      Due to the fact that there is not a scan function, the pilots can park their ride near by the CB without the enemy seeing it. BE careful of roaming jets!!

The Idea for gunships: Same as before. However, the Hind-D should be in a transport frame of mind.

Functions of the Transport squad.
      AT ambush fire teams can be droped off.

Special Forces fire team can be dropped off to take down an enemy mobile arty.

Sniper/s can be dropped off on certain maps. Sniper SL tell the CO were u won't your sniper at and he/she will take care of the rest. Hey, they are not using any assests so they might as well do something, like manage the Platoon for the better. Dooing so will allow the team a recon man behind enemy lines to give HUD intell and verbal intell.

transport Infantry. See above.

The squad numbers. I am thinking a four or five man squad.
      1. Gunship gunner is SL
      2. Gunship pilot
      3. Transport Chopper pilot. support kit
      4. Transport gunner/engineer

This will allow the Squad leader (gunner) to make calls on what bird goes well. This way allows the CO to get a mic check so that the chopper pilot reads him and the then copies and the CO can tell them what needs to be done, leaving the plan in the hands of the SL.
      This will also allow all the pilots to communicate were such and such AA is at and if they can do the pick up, or give time of getting to the pick up coordinates.
      This will help the gunship and transport communcate when do a Infantry pick up.

Pro. This will allow the CO to have more responsibiltty and a extra assest and troop movement if the Choppers lock their squad at four and allow a team based system of using the choppers.

Pro. Babies like me will not complain about the chopper if they also help the infantry instead of destroying them all the bloomen time.

Cons. As said before, Communication is key.

The following is what i would like to hear over the radio in a game.

Sniper/arty SL for 2: This is 2, do u copy?
      CO: Roger that 2, come on back.
      SL for 2: I got a sniper traped behind enemy lines with infantry and vehicles giving chase from the CB, requesting a dust off. He is the blue dot 200 meters east of x flag.
      CO: Roger that, hang tight. [CO is trying to establish a radio link with Chopper pilot, if the Chopper are not predisposed the CO will give them coordinates, the Chopper SL will give an ETA on the Dust off.
      CO: 2, do u read?
      SL for 2: ten-four
      CO: tell your boy to hang tuff, slick is coming in x amount of time.
      SL for 2: Roger that.

If the sniper can escape and evade, and if the slick can get there in time and stay alieve, we just had one hell of a daring save.

Here is what happended: The CO gambled and had the Chopper pick up an Airborne squad and dropped them off at the flag. Then the chopper went in to pick up the sniper. Thanks to the sniper drawing the fire team out to get him, the flag was less protected.

Imagain the frustartion when they get shot all to hell by the chopper and the sniper who punshed them early with numerous kills gets away scott free. On top of that they lose the flag. Ohh man that would suck hard.
      After this the sniper can just fly around unitl they see a spot they like to get out or until ordrred by the SL. First they will need to finish their cig.

In conclusion, the tranport/gunship squad will allow the Infantry to move around the maps quicker and better.
      Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 09-07-2006, 09:52 PM.

Comment

OK so you mean a secialized transport chopper squad?

Do the choppers in PoE have more than 6 seats?

This seems overly complicated. Unforunately with the design of BF2, it's probably more efficient to just have your entire squad spawn back near the transport, fly it over the base you want to attack, then everyone drop out - letting the chopper destroy itself. This means it'll spawn back when you need it next.

I don't know. I don't often find myself wandering around a map lost and needing a pickup. At least not enough to require an entire squad dedicated to picking me up.

Comment

Wow, The hind D has 8 seats but the Tiger has 2. lol.

So I guess the Ukraine can only do the Infantry Airborne squad.

Were are the transprot helos the PoE2 field manual has listed for use?

I got on and loaded up a map that the manual said they are in but no dice.
          I even tried 16 and 32 player, still no go.

Maybe on the next patch they can get these guys in there.
          Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 09-07-2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Here is an AAR report of good chopper transport use. It makes the game ever so much fun.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...nd-rocked.html

Comment

???

The transport choppers are in the game. I'm so confused.

They are the big helos, not the attack ones.

Comment

At ease. I think i got it now.

Some maps have two attacks and some have one attack and one transport.

The Ukraines can do both no matter what.
                On High Way to Hell, the Ukraines have two Hind-D's. The Germans have two Tigers. The Ukraines can do the Infantry Airborne squad here but Germany cannot. I was confused because the field manual clearly reads the Mi17 and the NH90 in this map.

And yes the German transport chopper can seat 8 players so there is more than enough to transport a squad.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                  OK so you mean a secialized transport chopper squad?

Do the choppers in PoE have more than 6 seats?

This seems overly complicated. Unforunately with the design of BF2, it's probably more efficient to just have your entire squad spawn back near the transport, fly it over the base you want to attack, then everyone drop out - letting the chopper destroy itself. This means it'll spawn back when you need it next.

I don't know. I don't often find myself wandering around a map lost and needing a pickup. At least not enough to require an entire squad dedicated to picking me up.
                  I'll give u that when in vanillia the transports had only 6 seats, but i can't give it to u were the seats number 8.

Although I would not rank it up there with a jet insertion, using a transport chopper were you ditch it cause u know it will be respawn is in the same ball park. I hope that TG in PoE2 will get out of this practice now that there are plenty seats for a transport with pilot to pick up a full squad.

Logistically, it is quite elegant.
                  With zero vehicle drops, this is what a squad needs to get to their objective if their ride goes down or what ever the occasion.

As u see above, the Transport pilot and gunner/engineer will be doing the flying and picking up, so an entire squad will not pick up the grunts.

Edit, the Ukraine Mi17 seats only 6 people, so as far as i am concern, use it to get were your going and bail out.
                  Last edited by Rick_the_new_guy; 09-07-2006, 09:54 PM. Reason: Just found out the Mi17 only has seats 6!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy View Post
                    I'll give u that when in vanillia the transports had only 6 seats, but i can't give it to u were the seats number 8.

Although I would not rank it up there with a jet insertion, using a transport chopper were you ditch it cause u know it will be respawn is in the same ball park. I hope that TG in PoE2 will get out of this practice now that there are plenty seats for a transport with pilot to pick up a full squad.

Logistically, it is quite elegant.
                    With zero vehicle drops, this is what a squad needs to get to their objective if their ride goes down or what ever the occasion.

As u see above, the Transport pilot and gunner/engineer will be doing the flying and picking up, so an entire squad will not pick up the grunts.
                    Something to try in a scrim perhaps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X