arty strikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arty strikes

how do I call them? I know this is a completely noob question. Sorry. I get the binocs to the point where it says "you have 10 seconds to call an air strike" but wth do I push after that? I tried all kinds of stuff but nothing ever says "great job! you successfully called in an airstrike which will inevitably let your team win the game!" or even... "called"

so god knows how many times I spammed the CO without knowing it.

Re: arty strikes

Ok, you click once with the binoc's out and zoomed in where you want the arty to go, then swich to the taccom and click once. The red symbol should show up on the minimap.

Comment

Afaik you can also only spot if someone is in the gunner position of the artillery.

Comment

Thats right. Switching seats or simply not having someone in the gunners seat will do nothing. Also, once a spot is on the map and is being used by the artillery gunner, it cant be changed to a different coordinate until the current marker runs out.

Comment

The important thing to remember is that the arty spot is only a spot...the gunner has to manually dial in the round...It will not automatically go there. The gunner can shoot at any target he wants, regardless of the spot (though I wouldn't recommend that !)

When the Arty Icon is up the gunner has a satellite view that follows the shot through the air. A good gunner should be able to dial in on the target in 2-3 shots. The spotters must keep spamming the arty icon so the satellite image stays up. Once the image is gone the gunner has no visual on where the shot is going. He can still fire when the satellite view is down but its' critical he has a spotter....short by 50 left by 20 etc...

Sometimes the spot goes on the map in the wrong place even though you clicked the right place. The most important part is that you work with the gunner as a team.. You should be on the same squad so you can talk over voip. I've done arty about 4 or 5 times and each time I had started an arty squad. I was the SL and was able to place markers on the map on the targets. While in the turret you line up your reticule in the gunners sight with the attack marker on the map. That lines you up direction wise then you must shoot at the proper elevation. That's when it's critical to have that satellite view/arty icon available. You need to switch from the satellite view to the reticule view back and forth while adjusting your shots. Change your attack marker when the target changes then start the process all over again.

Spotters need to be on top of the situation if a friendly squad moves in. You must adjust fire or stop firing if that's the case.

Arty can be really fun. The last time I tried it all of us were keen to make it work as effectively as possible. The spotters were into it. I was the gunner and on one map we targeted that objective called AA nest. We shelled that objective for at least 10-15 minutes of game time. I'm not so much into scores but even I was impressed because I had something like 25 kills and only 1 or 2 deaths (from choppers hunting me down)

I think the spotters get credit if any kills occur while thier spot is up on screen.
          sigpic
          |TG-1st|Grunt
          ARMA Admin (retired)
          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Frankly, I can't get the arty spot on the item I am pointing at, it always stops short at some object that's out of the view of my binoculars. A tree, a hill, but never on my subject. I have benefitted from Arty Assists, but if there is someone who is a self acclaimed expert at spotting for the artillery, drop me a line as I could use that help.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Yeah there's definitely some buggity things about the spotting function.
              Beatnik

Comment

The spotting is probably exactly as buggy as regular commo rose spotting. Theyre probably using the same code for it.

Comment

You tend to have to be pretty close to your target to get an accurate spot. Also make sure no objects(trees) are potentially in the way of your spot even if you don't think they are. I've also found little quirks....like on First Snow at that bridge base. Achieving a direct overhead view seems to work best when you spot directly on one of the buildings there. Spot on the ground or bridge and it goes halfway across the map.
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

If it runs into any trees along the way, just an edge, thats where it places the spot. You just have to make sure you have a clear view of the target about the size of the commo rose center circle.

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                      You tend to have to be pretty close to your target to get an accurate spot. Also make sure no objects(trees) are potentially in the way of your spot even if you don't think they are. I've also found little quirks....like on First Snow at that bridge base. Achieving a direct overhead view seems to work best when you spot directly on one of the buildings there. Spot on the ground or bridge and it goes halfway across the map.
                      Thats very interesting. I've always wonder if they put something into the code to prevent people from spotting for arti from too far away; and it seem to me like the spotting system is actually like shooting an AT round where the shell will drop off so you have to shoot higher to allow for that.

...very interesting. I will have to do a test on that.
                      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

But guys--remember...its not so critical where the spot is--it's more critical to be in communicatiion with the gunner -- telling him what the target is---then adjusting fire if necessary.
                        sigpic
                        |TG-1st|Grunt
                        ARMA Admin (retired)
                        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Yeah it's easy as an arty guy to adjust fire onto a flag or something and keep a certain vehicle spawn or AA emplacement down. But where I think arty really shines is when you have a combat squad with a 6th man arty gunner. That way you can provide more or less realtime close in arty support on the immediate threats to the squad as they advance. That way you are directly facilitating the advancement of team and CO objectives rather than indirectly contributing by racking up kills in less than vital areas.

Watch that friendly fire though. Gunners you're not incredibly lucky, even though the game doesn't seem to register friendly arty kills with the typical team damage warning, you can still easily end an entire assualt with one shell. But observes remember the arty guy is basically looking down a 200 foot high straw as it zooms across the map. If you attack something he's shelling, especially from the flank, realize that you are stepping directly into harms way and you need to inform the gunner of this if you expect to survive.
                          Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
                          live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
                          Friend me!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse