Which flag is defended?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which flag is defended?

More often than not, when your down to one flag and you need to flip 1-2 flags quickly, how do you determine which flag or two flags that is? For this example, I backwards ATC'd the Battle of Sambir using the US flag for the German side and the MEC flag for the Ukrainian side. Note, the Ukraine (MEC) is down to the North Farm and needs to break the stalemate. By looking at the map, which flag is undefended?

Although probability says that you have a 25% chance of blindly picking the right flag, common sense says that the West Farm is the undefended flag. A quick cap there suddenly puts your team right back in the game. Now, if only there was a sneaky way to get to that flag unseen. I will leave that part to you.

By looking at most of the maps on POE, generally speaking there is a back flag that you can access, flip quickly, and take the pressure off of the one flag you own. If I had 1 I wish, it would be that other SL's upon recognition of this, would move to cap that back flag before they would try to run into the 3 tank gauntlet at either of the other flags.

Lucky Shot

Re: Which flag is defended?

Ya thats a problem I see a lot. I get the impression that a lot of SLers are not keeping track of the bigger picture while SLing. You really need to take note of the overall map and how things are playing out while you SL. A quick glance at your map in game could let you determine exactly what Lucky is talking about in about 2 secs time.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I've seen a lot of this problem in POE that I don't remember in Vanilla BF2. People tend to push for the flag where the whole other team already is, which is totally untactical and downright stupid. It also turns the game into a simple deathmatch and further increases the amount of forces the enemy puts forth onto that one flag. Thanks for bringing this up, and I hope more people take note.

Comment

I think the best SLspend alot of time in that mapview. you guys are right, if only there 'd be a sneaky way. For lucky's situation I'd think f the chopper, but if your air is dominated you won't get there unless you have Tom Cruise come out of his closet to topgun you to the west farm

Comment

Hey Big Al,

I'd make it to that flag 75% of the time by taking a jeep along the far northern/western road. The jets seem to fly along the roads in the middle of the map and there is plenty to keep them busy. Most of the time, they are going to bomb that 1 flag you have over and over and over. Same for the enemy chopper.

So you take a jeep from your main and take the road north of the village to the far west. Then you take that road all the way down to the West Farm. No one will even see you for whatever goofy reason there is.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shot View Post
            Hey Big Al,

I'd make it to that flag 75% of the time by taking a jeep along the far northern/western road. The jets seem to fly along the roads in the middle of the map and there is plenty to keep them busy. Most of the time, they are going to bomb that 1 flag you have over and over and over. Same for the enemy chopper.

So you take a jeep from your main and take the road north of the village to the far west. Then you take that road all the way down to the West Farm. No one will even see you for whatever goofy reason there is.

Lucky Shot
            I'd be tempted to try these approaches (blue one is same as your post I think, white one is probably riskier):

DB
            Last edited by Dick Blonov; 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Ok, this is just a question, as I am not a SL, so I don't have experience to talk from that perspective, but wouldn't it be better for that to be the CO's job to dictate where people should attack and then the SL's duty to organize how to accomplish that goal, not having the SL's having to deal with all of that responsibility?

It seems to me that the CO usually stays out of the battle, has a better perspective on the overall field and can see that an attack is needed on the back flag and can send the right squads after it, while the SL is most likely in the trenches trying to accomplish the orders given. Yes it would help a lot of the SL's can understand what's going on through the entire map, but somehow I don't think they are all tracking the entire map, but more what their current orders are and their squad's details. Seems like that's the CO's job to do.

Just my thoughts.
              Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

Originally posted by Sajier View Post
                Ok, this is just a question, as I am not a SL, so I don't have experience to talk from that perspective, but wouldn't it be better for that to be the CO's job to dictate where people should attack and then the SL's duty to organize how to accomplish that goal, not having the SL's having to deal with all of that responsibility?

It seems to me that the CO usually stays out of the battle, has a better perspective on the overall field and can see that an attack is needed on the back flag and can send the right squads after it, while the SL is most likely in the trenches trying to accomplish the orders given. Yes it would help a lot of the SL's can understand what's going on through the entire map, but somehow I don't think they are all tracking the entire map, but more what their current orders are and their squad's details. Seems like that's the CO's job to do.

Just my thoughts.

Your talking perfect world scenario that I haven't seen in a while. I am finding that maybe 33% of the maps have a CO. And of those CO's 10% of them actually play the position correctly, like the way you mentioned in the post (communicating, dropping supplies, organizing troops). That means for 90% of the time, SL's are not getting orders and have to run their squad smarter than normal. By the way, Blonov, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Since its mostly common sense to attack a rear flag, id be a lil surprised if thats the main problem. I think its just some SLs feel they need to constantly be where the action is at, and attacking the closest CP is the best way to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    Since its mostly common sense to attack a rear flag, id be a lil surprised if thats the main problem. I think its just some SLs feel they need to constantly be where the action is at, and attacking the closest CP is the best way to do that.
                    I am sure your right on this Santa. It's just unfortunate that some want to put a greater focus on their points than the win. I like to see how many points I get, but it's the win the matters to me more than anything.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Sounds to me like the real problem isn't SL's, it's not having enough consistant COs.

Maybe some of the good COs could set up a practice sometime to teach some of the basics. I know I would gladly be there to learn.
                      Sajaman/|TG-Irr|Sajier - WoW Resto Shaman, BF2/BF2142 Assault/Medic

| | |

Comment

I enjoy COing, but the logistical part of taking care of pubbies and non-responsive SL's takes away from the experience, although they are quickly gone. When you are SL, you can boot people from your squad, mabey the CO should be able to boot SL's from their position.

Comment

Although I would say it is likely true that the back flags are undefended as a sniper I try to get some high ground on these flags and normally can be pretty effective for a few reasons.
                          1.No heavy equipment. In most cases people are either air dropped, driven in with a light jeep or simply walk. Most of the APCs and tanks that try for the flag can't make it past the frontline or are gunned down by air assets.
                          2.The attackers don't take cover, they don't put up a smoke screen because they think it will give away their positions and they stand in the open since
                          they are not taking direct fire.
                          3.They don't know where the fire is coming from, they haven't cleared the perimeter because they are in a rush to cap it and they don't have other squads on their flanks. Once a sniper opens up it takes several rounds before they figure out the direction the fire is coming from.
                          Just this morning on orel, a sqaud of fife ran into the back flag. 2 headshots quickly then two more were picked off, and it left one guy cowering behind the body of his dead comrade.
                          Go ahead and assault that flag but I'll be waiting :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X