• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1stMIP SOPs / Tactical Movement: Bounding

Tactical Movement: Bounding

- In both types, only one fire team moves at a time while the other covers

- Successive;
    • Fire teams bound to positions on the same vertical axis.
    • Slower but provides safer movement.

- Alternate;
    • Fire teams bound in front of each other.
    • Faster but relatively less safe. Recommended when contact is less likely.

1) Globalsecurity: Lesson 4 Battle Drills
    Last edited by John CANavar; 06-03-2007, 02:46 PM.

Re: Tactical Movement: Bounding

Good post there john, it's also important note where each squad member should be looking, also called their line of fire.

I don't have any diagrams but i do know a bit about the proper methods. I'll see if i can find some diagrams

- -

That link is crucial. Especially the decision-making flowchart. I think the single greatest thing that would promote team play with the CO is if SLs instituted it. They need to take a moment to assess whether or not the can overwhelm an enemy position by themselves or not. If not they need to dig in and fight a long-distance, distracting fire fight and call the CO. As they maintain contact, the CO can direct air assets rapidly, armor easily, and in due course, additional infantry squads.

Essentially, find, fix, flank.

Squads find the enemy.

Squads engages the enemy in a harsh fire fight whose sole objective is to convince the enemy his bet course of action is to maintain the cover he has and snipe from it. The enemy is not fixed.

If the SL still has unengaged squad members, they can flank the position and assault. More than likely, the SL is using every asset he has to convince the enemy it is unsafe to move and flank the SL's position.

So he calls the CO for reinforcements to aid in the flanking position of the general find, fix, flank doctrine. Air assets can strafe the target, very effectively fixing the enemy within buildings, freeing up squad members from the fix role allowing them to flank. Armor accomplishes the same thing. If not scaring the enemy to remain static in cover, then the only enemy venturing out will be AT troops easily brushed aside by squad members who have shifted to the flanking role. Lastly another infantry squad can sneak in quiet from an alternative direction, and execute the flank maneuver without the fixing squad from changing its behavior in any way that might alert the enemy.

Key is for the SL to halt the assault if he is unable to fix the enemy in place while retaining unengaged maneuver elements at any one time. If he has to halt in such a fashion he must call for help from the CO, while perfecting the complicated and difficult to control tactic of maintaining contact without unduly endangering the squad. Usually keeping fire on the enemy and all of the enemy in sight directly contradicts endangering the squad, just like squad preservation usually compromises their ability to keep eyes and fire on the target.
      Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA ABRA
      Friend me!

For bounding overwatch, I have each squaddie shout out "set" when they are ready to put down cover fire. Then the person/fireteam in the back moves up to the front and continues the cover.

I love the website linked, it's facinating to read. I would love to see these in action.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed