Praise for the Unsung Squad Leaders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise for the Unsung Squad Leaders

I was reading a thread in the main forum about the challenge of trying to learn how to command in PR when I found a link here. Wow! So here I am ready to bone up on the many tomes of knowledge here but first I wanted to give a shout out to any and all the players who have had to let me be CO. Thanks for your patience and especially to the guys who have taken the time to explain the 5Ws on my job in ways a even a blond surfer can get a grip on.

Great squad leaders are the ones who lead by example every day. I believe you guys play an essential role in maintaining order by walking the talk. Even after playing here for a while I continue to be impressed with new things but its mostly related to the even temperament and good conduct of the experienced players . Obviously there are more of you than I ever imagined possible since it seems this entire community from the top down is comprised of people who have learned its possible to play uber-tac-sim video games and behave well and have fun at the same time.

I have had a lot of fun commanding and have always left with the feeling I was able to help the team. At the very least I learned more about the game by listening to what the SL are able to do and following the battle as it unfolds. I have been prone to tunnel vision in the past but I am getting better about not using the map as much as keeping comms clear and relaying info well. My biggest tools for this job are my ears. I deend on the Squad Leaders who know how to make clear reports or requests. You guys take the role seriously and it makes everyone in the squad happy to have a good SL.

As CO I believe I must put squad in the best spots to do their job and make sure they have the time and ammo to do it. Learning the ropes right out of the gates is especially hard here when the server is often busy or full. The players are knowledgeable and have high expectations. Ironically I will join a full server and no one will be in the commander slot but as soon as i click ACCEPT I get requests before the supplies are ready so the pressure is on!

Without exception thus far ever squad leader has been patient and gracious whenever I may stammer or get confused and it gives me a second to reorient my focus and issue the most effective orders. To have the composure to follow the CoC is rare enough but to maintain composure in open public games is exceptional. Its been proven to me that the TG community is unparalleled.

Thank you all,

L*Z

Re: Praise for the Unsung Squad Leaders

I don't believe my eyes. Someone actually expressed appreciation for the work that the squad leaders do in-game. I'm flabbergasted really; unfortunate that it's rare praise.

But seriously folks, I don't think people realize the amount of work some people put into squad leading, regardless of the game. For the past two years that I've been playing at TG, it's usually the same vets that end up in the squad leader position. While it's nice to be appreciated for the work that's done, it does get tiring to keep doing the same job over and over. Sometimes it's nice to be a grunt and not have to be concerned with the overall responsibility of the squad. Nothing annoys me more than squad mates doing the squad leader shuffle or posts like this. But guess what folks? All the squad leaders you know and love started off as new jacks at one point or another until they got the experience to get where they are today. I don't see why newcomers think these folks were secretly bred just to play as squad leaders in a video game. It's time for others to start stepping up and take their place in the ranks instead of just sitting in the back in the cheap seats letting someone else do all the work.

Well, enough of the ranting. I want to send my props out to all the squad leaders here at TG because it's you guys who go a long way to making TG the great place it is to play. I think that's overlooked much of the time. Nothing gets my juices flowing like butting heads with a worthy enemy. It's what makes the TG gameplay a cut above the rest.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Props for taking the CO chair when it's needed. You're gutsier than I am.
      sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

and ur pretty gutsy, Axis
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BaneII View Post
          I don't believe my eyes. Someone actually expressed appreciation for the work that the squad leaders do in-game. I'm flabbergasted really; unfortunate that it's rare praise.
          I wonder if that will change once we start giving out those shiny, colorful things in your sig again. It gave people more incentive to report good squad leads, even if it is for a colorful block of pixels.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
          TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
          ||

Comment

Originally posted by ThePenguineer View Post
            I wonder if that will change once we start giving out those shiny, colorful things in your sig again. It gave people more incentive to report good squad leads, even if it is for a colorful block of pixels.
            We could name and shame the good SLs anyway. E-male did a damn fine job when I was in his squad. From the outside, the 1st MIP always have SLs that know what they're doing.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
              the 1st MIP always have SLs that know what they're doing.
              Definitely! Hiding behind rocks and near the edge of the map that often requires dedication and skill. :row__523:
              |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

They're not hiding. They're decoying the enemy while you guys are going rambo up to the flag.

Comment

Sometimes it's nice to be a grunt.
                  :)
                  sigpic
                  |TG-1st|Grunt
                  ARMA Admin (retired)
                  Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

I'm surprised people don't show a little more appreciation in-game. If I've enjoyed a round I always try to tell the SL that he's done a good job.

It's a shame then that the SL's don't get more praise.

Well done the SL's! :row__572:
                    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
                    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
                    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Always have brill time with any of the 1STMIP guys, all no their stuff....As does biggayal.....and root, but he will just get a big head!:)have played with a lot of SL's and havent met a bad one yet on TG!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X