Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring but necessary job?

Question.

Should there be a UAV/artillery defense team? I know playing defense only gets you so far but was just wondering others opinion.

In the pursuit of... something.

Re: Boring but necessary job?

In NS, "base bitch" is an honored and very necessary position.

In any game, if you've got important tech in your base that you need to KEEP, you're going to put people there who you trust can protect it.

Are you sitting still? Yes.

If played properly, it shouldn't be boring. You can offer a LOT of support from that location (morale boosts, intel, coordination, etc), both in NS and BF2.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Moved to the tactics & missions group to help organize the flood of new threads.

Great topic though JBRanger!
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

Comment

All defense is boring until the enemy actually attacks. :)

I think the Commander should designate a team to deal with friendly infrastructure issues, such as repairing/defending artillery. That team could easily be housed at a nearby flag, and move out as needed. That way they are in a position to get to the friendly artillery fast, but have a chance of seeing real action if the flag gets attacked.

Alternatively, there could be a squad that functions normally, but is at the Commander's beck and call should the infrastructure need repairs. When he says, "Go fix my UAV shack", the squad drops whatever they're doing and moves out.
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I have no problem playing that position.

One of my favorite Joint Ops hobbies is staying at spawn, hunting campers and keeping the base open. Good times. :icon14:

Comment

We probably don't know how big all the maps will be in the retail release but on the demo map a buggy can travel the length of the map PDQ, so if there were a small squad dedicated to defending and repairing the "gear in the rear" they could still be summoned to the action by the commander when the need is there so long as they had a buggy dedicated to their squad.

Comment

Oooo.... I like this idea. I could definitely get into being a C&C defender. :icon14: I'm 'teh nub' on assaulting anyway. :icon19:

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
                Oooo.... I like this idea. I could definitely get into being a C&C defender. :icon14: I'm 'teh nub' on assaulting anyway. :icon19:
                Sounds like we have two squad members. Who else wants to stay behind, fixing stuff, and keeping the canteen open?

Comment

Better yet, have them steal and occupy an enemy black hawk. This allows greater mobility, and you can have more people if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                    Sounds like we have two squad members. Who else wants to stay behind, fixing stuff, and keeping the canteen open?
                    I'll happily do this anytime.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've been orginizing Blackhawk Raids on hotel and central construction. Then supporting troops on the ground with air cover. Something I've noticed, if you don't have planes covering you it's real hard to dodge heatseekers in a helo. Some food for thought. This could be used as the Arty response and defense team. The arty is a short flight from the carrier and the blackhawk provides enough firepower to get the job done. Anyone who wants to partake when I'm on I'll have the squad called Blackhawk.
                      sigpic

Comment

I could do defense as well.
                        If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Currently playing under name: Bleach

Comment

Well, we don't want EVERYONE doing defense. BUT, it is nice to know some are willing. I will throw my hat as well in to the ring. Whatever needs to be done, I'll do it.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

As an alternative to having someone on base defense, we might consider having a team in a Blackhawk with some engineers (which the Blackhawk should have anyway) who fly by when the Commander asks and does repairs. On the Oman map, defending the artillery on the USMC side is hard, since the guns are so exposed. The best you can do is hold that west beach point and have a sniper watching the guns.

Say, I may try that some time...
                            Let them eat war.
                            XFire: billygnosis

Comment

And when you do, SQUAD FIVE will be there with SpecOps to OPPOSE YOU!

DEATH TO THE INVADERS!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X