Sniper role....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper role....

I played as a sniper for a while last night. Just a few things worth pointing out. You can NOT sit far off and plink and entire team dead. You can identify threats (troops, tanks, etc) for all to see. I got two headshots last night that were instant kills but I do not know if they were already damaged or not. Most were 3-4 shots.

Claymores rock for area defense. One will take out a person. Beware though because claymores don't care who they blow up. Meaning: they'll take out friendlies as well. Of course friendlies should see the crossbones in red above the claymore though.

Your camo is your best weapon. I've seen some enemy MEC snipers hide in grass and our troops step right over them. Who's says you have to shoot? Accompany this with the silenced pistol and WHAM! Instant sneaky SOB.

After playing this role last night it has come to my attention that this role is NOT for me. I can/will do it but it is mainly spotting targets than taking them out.

In the pursuit of... something.

Re: Sniper role....

yeah i was playing sniper a little bit last night. I like the role and i agree with you here. They need to add binoculars to the kit.

- -

Comment

I was playing Sniper and Special Forces last night. Vastly diffrent play styles. Sniper requires you to think about how you engage the enemy.

As noted, you can't take out an entire squad from half-way across the map-that's a bit of a shock, after Joint Ops and a bunch of other games. Head shots are hard to get at range, but are one shot, one kill. Otherwise, expect to take up to 4 shots.

I don't have a good feel for the range finder yet, so I was largely ineffective at long range. Mid-range, and you can start to get some work in...you need to lead targets, but that's not so difficult.

Close range, however, is a byatch. Silenced 9mm as a back up? Ooof. You might as well give me a BB gun.

BTW, where is my .50? With so much armor, how come snipers cannot have a sufficiently calibered weapon to cause some damage!

The bad part about OMAN is that there are few decent sniper vantage points in the center of the map. You can hang out on a dune, or try to plink away from a whole in a wall, but that's about it. The towers have crappy overwatch, so they are next to useless. And the buildings are way too far away.

Still learning....

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        Still learning....
        That's what makes gaming the most fun. :)
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by JBRanger
          Your camo is your best weapon. I've seen some enemy MEC snipers hide in grass and our troops step right over them. Who's says you have to shoot? Accompany this with the silenced pistol and WHAM! Instant sneaky SOB.
          Be careful of what you hide in. Grass only hides you from troops nearby, not from those at a distance. Actual objects (i.e. a bush) will hide you both near and far.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

I've found if you crouch or stay prone with the pistol and use the sights it's a pretty good weapon even when you're being rushed. You have to aim for the head but at close range you can get 2-3 headshots before you start to spray. It's also good at medium range if you're prone as long as nobody is shooting back. Running away and shooting with it almost never worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
              yeah i was playing sniper a little bit last night. I like the role and i agree with you here. They need to add binoculars to the kit.
              with the sniper equiped, if you fire and hold down the fire button, it will stay zoomed in. i agree, they do need to add binoculars to either the sniper or commander kit.

Comment

I've found with significant time as a sniper so far (pretty much all my time) the key to staying alive in close combat/ a rush is to switch right to the pistol if you miss that first head shot on the rusher - you may think you'll get another off but most likely you wont and if you do chances of it being a kill/head shot have been pretty slim I've found. A couple quick burst with the silencer can take out as many as two rushers if your quick with the head shots and in cover.

As far as center vantage points the large box/garden/house in the center between the construction site and the 3 beach heads is vastly underutilized on most servers. The building in the middle gives you a good look at the center base and about 3/4 of the left base. You can snipe pretty effectively leading your shots as enemies move between the two. you can also move to the wall spots on either side and see all three bases.

No one passes through that garden to find you randomly as infantry because the route there is too open leaving them vulnerable to everything from copters to vehicles. And even if they do more often than not you can see them coming. Anyone who tries to sneak up on you has one heck of a time killing you in that little room with your pistol equipped and you knowing theyre coming.
                Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

I've found the sniper as my strong point in this game.The USMC sniper is a one shot kill if you can take your time with your shot.Although the MEC sniper is automatic it is very inaccurate and I usually wait to shoot with it and watch the target for a couple seconds and then fire.

Claymores in a word "own".Ive killed tanks with claymores and plenty of soilders.They are very effective if you are being chased.I tend to lay them in a door that hostile forces are frequent visitors of.

Grenades are also a snipers best friend.If you see hordes of enemys your best bet is to start chucking grenades and kill a few off.

The silenced pistol is very effective if you are hidden.It is very accurate at close range and you can usually get the drop on a guy if you are sneaky.

Comment

The USMC sniper rifle is the superior of the two at long range. From the highest vantage points on the map (the crane, hotel and warehouse) you can, with practice be very effective with one shot one kill.

MEC multi-shot as mentioned is much more effective when used house to house or from low rooftops to target incoming infantry weaving through the buildings and in the flat. You also stand a much better chance of survinving a rush.

I'd be interested in seeing the other kits for snipers at release.
                    Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

On a side note, the most effective sniper i have seen was two snipers on a public server, they worked together and managed to wipe out 1 and a half squad in very short time and then dissapear before they got killed.

Also the is a bullet drop but its very little and only seem to make a difference on ranges above 250m.

With USMC you can drop people with 2 shots to the chest even at long range, i know becuase i spent an entire day learning it, thing is you have to wait until you can see their name clearly in red.

the MEC sniper is great at ranges 100-150 M fast firing, just remember to pull down after each shot, 3 bullets is usually enough at those ranges.
                      If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Currently playing under name: Bleach

Comment

Originally posted by JBRanger
                        Accompany this with the silenced pistol and WHAM! Instant sneaky SOB.
                        The silenced pistol is nice, but for me it takes >5 shots to drop somone at close range. Damn body armor!
                        |TG|MileHighAko
                        |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

I've played the sniper lately as well, but I'm unsure about the sights. Where exactly do you line up your shot? There's no crosshair. It's a line in the middle that drops to a V. Do I sight at the widest part of the V, in the V, at the bottom point? I rarely ever get kills. And what's a claymore? Is this something the sniper puts down on the ground, similar to the engineers mines? And once down, are claymores visible?

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                            Be careful of what you hide in. Grass only hides you from troops nearby, not from those at a distance. Actual objects (i.e. a bush) will hide you both near and far.
                            What exactly are you defining as "hidden" here (in terms of 3D rendering in the game)?

Grass at close range makes sense, due to the grass actually being rendered - identification depends on your ability to discern camo from nature. At greater distances, some PCs may not render grass, making you easily visible (?). I haven't noticed, but going prone in grass covered areas doesn't cover you in the Joint Ops "green film" at distances, does it?

If toning down graphical settings means grass or objects are not rendered in certain cases, is that a potential exploit for easy identification?
                            |FDB|octavius

Comment

The SVD Can Be crazy in close quarters ive found it more 2 spray with it then the pistol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X