Squad Hoke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Hoke

I've named this role after Morgan Freeman's chauffer character in 'Driving Miss Daisy'. :) If you've yet to immerse yourself in that wonderful cinematic tale, please do.

One of Squad Five's wonts is to prioritize the squad leader's proximity to the order waypoint. This allows other squad members to spawn in on him and more effectively (than spawning elsewhere) complete the objective du moment.

I noticed last night that, when I was struggling to keep my head above water, and seeing no vehicles anywhere, Yack, j, and others on my squad were often waiting with or bringing forward a ride whenever we needed one. As squad leader, I found myself taking palpable value from that.

I'm thinking about regularly assigning one of my squad to always be in charge of transportation: the squake hoke. If we don't have a ride, it's his job to make sure we have one when the time comes, even if that means he breaks off from battle early, or always spawns at a friendly flag with vehicles instead of on the leader.

Thoughts?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Squad Hoke

That's a good idea. It may be that no vehicles are at that particular location, so does that mean that the SH has to spawn somewhere where they will be certain that there will be vehicles?

I don't want the position, since as a Sniper, I have to drop out before we get to the objective, but it seems like a vital role.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
      It may be that no vehicles are at that particular location, so does that mean that the SH has to spawn somewhere where they will be certain that there will be vehicles?
      I don't know. I'm not the hoke. :)

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        I don't know. I'm not the hoke. :)
        Ah, you are just the ideas man. Gotcha. :icon_bigg

Comment

Hell yes. I have a history at TG of telling people what the hell to do and SUCKING at actually ever having to do them MYSELF. lol

Comment

Whoever does this job has to actually occupy the vehicle or else it will get taken by someone. I would expect tips for this. :icon_lol:

- -

Comment

I sort of took this role unofficially last night. The hard part is knowing which spawns have a ready vehicle, as if all the vehicles are gone there is no way to know how long it will be until one respawns. If you spawn and there aren't any vehicles, you're either going to be waiting a long time or spend a long time walking.

Comment

That, and mines in front of you may be closer than they appear.

Nubcake. :P
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

That was an isolated incident. Passengers may not hold me liable for any accidental injury or death as a result of traveling with me.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
                    That was an isolated incident. Passengers may not hold me liable for any accidental injury or death as a result of traveling with me.
                    we didn't have room for poker, he had the pleasure of watching us explode.

Comment

lol @ u 2

Yeah, this map is tough because it's designed for half as many players as we're throwing at it. It would be easier, I hope, to reliably get a vehicle in the retail version.

Comment

Right now, there are far more players than vehicles, due to use playing 64 players on a 32 player sized map.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          lol @ u 2

Yeah, this map is tough because it's designed for half as many players as we're throwing at it. It would be easier, I hope, to reliably get a vehicle in the retail version.

I was thinking the same. It feels way too congested at times. It would be interesting to see how the game plays if, once all the squads are formed, we boot the 10+ players from each team who refuse to join a squad and play a 20 vs 20 match.
                          Steam Community: | |

Comment

I would be happy to be the Squad Hoke, and I am very confortable with the driving. I will make this my job to shuttle the squad to the obj. :)

Shogun

Game name: Jastley

Comment

I think the squad leader should be the one getting the vehicles due to the fact that, take a apc for example, all your squad can spawn on you in the vehicle and have cover from enemy fire. Anti-tank is the only bane but your squad should be alert and looking for it. This also protects the squad leader. I do this as the Blackhawk pilot and it seems to work quite well. If the Blackhawks destroyed I am able to get in it when it respawns seeing as I go down with the bird. In doing this I have access to the vehicle my squad is made up for and it ensures that we have mobility.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X