Tactics On Oman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics On Oman

I don't know if this is just me but, it seems that which ever team has air superiority wins the map. On maps where neither team appears to have air superiority, the round seems to drag on and is usually fairly close (< 50). Just a observation.
    sigpic

Re: Tactics On Oman

I dont know if this is spawn camping (I don't think so, personally), but rigging up Zephyr's helicopter with c4, then waiting till someone says a chopper is spotted and pulling the trigger might be a way to alleviate things. Also, rigging the artillery, but waiting until it starts firing to blow it. Both those can do a nice bit to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
      I dont know if this is spawn camping (I don't think so, personally), but rigging up Zephyr's helicopter with c4, then waiting till someone says a chopper is spotted and pulling the trigger might be a way to alleviate things. Also, rigging the artillery, but waiting until it starts firing to blow it. Both those can do a nice bit to help.
      That's a grey area....it's not technically spawn camping, in the usual sense, but it is still a bit shady, don't you think? Waiting for someone to get in the chopper is not the same as simply getting into the UCB and demoing the thing on the pad.

Comment

Right. Its more like assasination, since we all know zephyr is deadly and dangerous as a pilot. And it'd be REALLY hard to do multiple times, because they respawn before the chopper does. Also, if you just blow it up at their base, they are out of action for what... another 30 seconds? If you wait till they have engaged somebody on the mainland, they just wasted time getting their and engaging, as well as the 30 seconds. And he doesnt realise neccassarily that he was rigged back at the carrier or MEC base. However, it's not something I'll try until it gets okayed by an admin.

Comment

I'd like to try a (near) completely defensive role for the USMC side. They've already got the advantage in the extra base so there's really no reason to assault the initial MEC bases. My thoughts on this grand strategy while cutting the grass this weekend:

- squad 1 on West Base defense
          - squad 2 (in Blackhawk) on artillery defense/repair, can also support West and Middle bases if necessary
          - squad 3 Middle Base defense
          - squad 4 East Base defense
          - squad 5 (engies, AT) - set up ambush in ruined village--MEC *always* seems comes through there with tank/APC from Hotel
          - squad 6 (spec ops) - keep bridges and enemy artillery disabled

Attack chopper and jets defend the skies above the bases.

Or something like that! :)

I'm thinking maybe Squad 5 could move onto Hotel after blowing up the initial tank/apc assault in ruined village. Merely harrassing/distracting while the time limit whittles away would be enough.

Obviously this is only good for maps with time limits. Not sure what TG's plan is for the time limit once retail hits... :P

Comment

I agree with this. Everyone is so flag-happy that nobody likes to defend. Boring they say..

I think that if the MEC would adequately defend the hotel and construction site, they could easily take the west beach and arty. But every round, they RUSH from those sites to the beach, only to essentially trade flags. :(

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I love it when command gives my squad orders to defend a base. I wish more commanders took this route rather than trying to go for the complete domination of all flags on the map.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Hrm... interesting.. experience tells me that a strategy of pure defense fails. I'd like to see how the above pans out.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  Hrm... interesting.. experience tells me that a strategy of pure defense fails. I'd like to see how the above pans out.
                  Once the game starts on the demo map, MEC starts losing tickets. So the onus of aggression is clearly on MEC, especially with the 12-minute timer. All things being equal (with regards to commanding skill, squads following orders, etc) I see no logical reason why USMC can't win using a purely defensive strategy. But then again, rarely are things equal. ;)

Anyway, would be fun to find out but I need some practice with the commander tools before I plop my arse down in the big leather chair with cupholders. :icon_lol:

Re: playing defense. I enjoy it too! The bases are practically screaming "Use my guns to defend me, you bastids! That's what they're there for!" Hmm, I think I'll start naming my squad "Defense Duty" when I'm up for it...

Comment

In Battlefield that depends on the number of flags held. If you can maintain n+1 a pure defensive strategy works phenominally. We used to do this all the time in a lot of the DC maps. We would take the majority of flags, usually on a side of the map that was the easiest to defend, and set up a line of defense consisting of forward armor and anti-armor forces with anti-aircraft set a little further pack and just lay waste to the opposition as they tried to advance.

It takes a solid team with defined roles to pull off, but if you have a team of good defensemen that understand how to work together it's pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Rizzo
                      Re: playing defense. I enjoy it too! The bases are practically screaming "Use my guns to defend me, you bastids! That's what they're there for!" Hmm, I think I'll start naming my squad "Defense Duty" when I'm up for it...
                      I'll keep my eyes out for that squad and join right up!

Comment

There are so many good options for defense on both sides. Mines, claymores, c4, gun placements, etc.

If a squad really dedicated itself to defense, it should have a distinct advantage.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Personal experience note about defense squads: I thought I'd be all cool and name my squad "defense", as we told the commander we'd protect his UCB. And we did, but there came a time when commander needed us somewhere else, in a new offensive role, and it was awkward having a defensively-named squad playing offense.

We quickly formed a new squad, but I would have preferred having the wisdom to not call my squad "defense" to begin with.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

LOL. Of course Wyz, you already know that the commander can't see the squad names. :)

Comment

Personal experience note about defense squads: I thought I'd be all cool and name my squad "defense", as we told the commander we'd protect his UCB. And we did, but there came a time when commander needed us somewhere else, in a new offensive role, and it was awkward having a defensively-named squad playing offense.

We quickly formed a new squad, but I would have preferred having the wisdom to not call my squad "defense" to begin with.
                              Hopefully, renaming squads will be patched in. There's no reason not to be able to rename a squad especially since they change hands a-plenty through the course of a night.

FOr now I'll just name my squad "Rizzo's Roughnecks" which is to become synonomous with "Defense Duty!" on the TG servers. :icon20:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X