Squad Layouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Layouts

I'm hoping not to be the only contributer to this thread, especially since I'm not too familiar with everything. I'll try my hand at what I know though. I also hope to have some pilots familiar with this beast (Wyz and Zeph are two I've flown with and are extremely good at it) post their bit about how best to fly and what works for them the best, and also some good tactics for doing things like evading missiles and capturing flags.

First off, the blackhawk is commonly mistaken as a slow and defenseless transport. While that is it's main designation, it is quite lethal as a gunship and overall support vehicle. Being able to carry 6 people with 2 miniguns gives it unique abilities and makes it a flying spawn point, hospital, armory, and repair shop in one. If used correctly this vehicle can easily turn the tide of battles and help influence who wins the round.

Blackhawk Squad: This applies only to blackhawks, and not other flying vehicles. Most of these are for using it as a gun platform, not a transport. If you are in this squad you should almost always spawn on carrier, unless your SL is flying and there is room, or otherwise specified. It also helps to have your SL be the main pilot, meaning he is pretty much always in the blackhawk. When someone makes this squad you should ask them what to spawn as, and be on the blackhawk as much as possible. Don't join this squad then spawn as an Assault class on a beachead.

Squad Layout: What I've found to work well for a blackhawk is atleast 2, prefferably three Engineers all in your passenger seats, they should *usually* only worry about dropping AT mines if you're not under fire. When you're getting shot at, 3 Engineers with their wrenches out can keep you in the air almost indefinitely. Having someone as Anti-Tank isn't as useful since the blackhawk is constantly moving, which can really screw up your shot. An A-T can be useful if you're hovering to capture a flag though, and keep you covered from tank fire. It is also nice to have the pilot be a Medic. Even with less armor, you're already covered pretty well and you add to the healing pool which can save your Engineers (who are out in the open and quite susceptible to small arms fire) who can in turn save you. As for the two gunners, they should usually be either Support to keep Engineers full of mines and everyone else full on ammo, Medic to add again to the healing pool, or Engineers incase one of yours gets taken down and you need to switch to their seats. I'm pretty sure the three side seats are F4-F6. If you are taking one or two Spec-Ops or Snipers somewhere, have them be gunners so your Engineers can get you there, then have you Engineers go gunner or have more of your squadmates spawn on you.

Flying: This is one of the weaker parts for me, considering I've never flown in action and only seen it. This is mainly for capturing flags and supporting your team. If you're called to take a base, circle around it a few times and make sure to give your gunners good firing angles from high up, also the miniguns can overheat quite easily and if this happens try to switch sides and let the other one have a go. If it is at all possible, try to get an attack chopper to come with you who can watch your back for other airborne hostiles. If you're skilled enough you can evade *most* missiles, but fighting back isn't very effective. The miniguns can engage, but they rarely do enough damage to either force the enemy to back off or destroy him. Once you've cleared the base sufficiently, try to hover over the flag while giving your gunners angles on buildings and entrances to the base, also watch out for flagpoles rigged with C4 to prevent a capture. Another option (that I haven't ever tried) is to drop off all but your gunners, let them take the flag while you circle and provide support. This can be risky because it will be easier for you to be taken down. Once this is accomplished go low enough for them to get in and fly off. For some it is easier to land, but this can endanger you to mines, C4 even moreso, and also it takes you longer to liftoff *I think* from on the ground unless you're throttling it.
    If you're called in to repair artillery, try and hover to the west of the artillery (more on this in a second). Have your Engineers jump out and parachute to the ground and try to repair the artillery while you provide them cover from the air. **Note to Engineers, check for C4 on the artillery, if you see it then I'm not sure what to do considering there is no way to defuse it, best bet is to have one unlucky soul fix one of the cannons while everyone else stays back, then fix them again after it has been blown up.** After you have dropped them off and they have accomplished their mission, you can either have them swim out a few yards off the beach to give you a more level area to descend, or grab them from the beach. As for hovering to the west, it has been my experience as an Engineer that whenever I jumped out directly over the artillery, the wind (maybe jetwash) blew me 30-40 yards to the east of the artillery, meaning I had to run in the open back towards the artillery. I'm not completely sure about the conditions though.

I know I didn't cover everything, but I tried to cover what I knew well from my personal experiences. Feel free to critique and add your own ideas, especially for different types of squads like A-T. I didn't put a specific section on gunning considering I've been wrenching for the past few missions and others are better qualified than I for that. But you do need to know not to just spray and pray, use bursts since they don't heat your gun as much. Also click your mouse button inflight at a decently fast pace to keep the barrel spinning but not shooting. By the by, sorry for the very few line breaks and probably abundant misspelling.
    Last edited by TheMuncher; 06-18-2005, 03:21 AM.

Re: Squad Layouts

Originally posted by TheMuncher
    **Note to engineers, check for C4 on the artillery, if you see it then I'm not sure what to do considering there is no was to defuse it, best bet is to have one unlucky soul fix one of the cannons while everyone else stays back, then fix them again after it has been blown up.**
    :D

Anyway, I like your idea. Heres some specificity: Medic/SL/Pilot. Medic/gunner, and Support/gunner. 3 engineers riding shotgun. That way, you add to the heal pool, and the pilot can be healed, and your engineers wont run out of landmines.

Comment

Wow...Someone actually read that lol...Thanks for putting that in there. I was too tired to do anything like that, I can't believe I hit new thread at about 1...

Comment

Good write up. Can't add much more. :)

Engineers: I've had luck getting the wrench to work in any of the back seats and not just the rear. Kinda funky situation in the back, though, as finding consistent areas of the bird to 'point' at with the wrench are difficult to find. Some instances I've had the wrench working, yet no repair can be seen.

What I find helps is merely keeping the mouse button depressed and quickly moving around to find a spot that works. Not sure if the consistency of the wrench 'kicking in' is related to helo orientation yet. Using the external view while riding seems to help as well (default F10). Semi-consistent repairing without having to find the blackhawk's g-spot in external.

If multiple engineers are present, keep an eye on the rate at which the repairs are being done... you may think your wrench is working, but only your buddy in the next seat may have found success. More engies repairing obviously = faster rate of repair.
        |FDB|octavius

Comment

Having at least 2 medics in the Helo in addition to the 2-3 Engineers adds significantly to its survivability. Riding in that door is dangerous business at times, and the medics allow the engineers to regenerate and keep that wrench turnin'.

As far as finding a good wrench spot, what Octavius mentioned works well. I hold the button down and find the sweet spot, then just hold it here when the fighting is heavy.
          He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. - Sun Tzu, Art of War

Comment

One more thing I forget to say...

Wyz bro... That was some truly impressive flying last night. I was amazed at the things you were doing with that bird. Hah!! I bailed out at least 3 times thinking we were going down only to turn around and see you fly away!!

Please enlighten me? Whats yer setup for flying like? Tips and pointers for piloting? Enquiring minds want to know. At least help me keep it in the air for a few minutes...LOL
            He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. - Sun Tzu, Art of War

Comment

Hell, I'm just figuring this stuff out. I have no business instructing.

I use my lil' ol' MS Sidewinder USB Joypad to work the bird. The damn thing's gotta be like 10 years old. Four buttons, dual axis, and two triggers, one per index finger. I use the triggers for roll, and the joypad for yaw and pitch. One button for GO, one for STOP, and one for OMGTHROWSTUFFTODISTRACTTHEMTHARMISSUILES. I forget what I use the fourth button for, if anything.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Is it for going just low enough for a Spec Ops to throw a couple c4 on you?

Comment

yea i've been in one of these squads and been a leader of one,best if u have squad leader to b pilot so ppl can spawn cuz ppl die alot in it,and to get sum msg's from commander and get the right idea where u need to go without telling pilot,yea have a support troop on gunner to give ammo to engineers for mines n nades,sumtimes i have all my guys drop out except gunners n 1 engineer to capture if i cant hover and i land sumwhere else for them to get picked up,but watch out for the mines u juist threw, this is really effective my team total had 967 points! and we won

Comment

Originally posted by TheMuncher
                    First off, the blackhawk is commonly mistaken as a slow and defenseless transport.
                    Not since people realized how to use it as a flying tank has this mistake been made.

Most of these are for using it as a gun platform, not a transport.
                    But it isnt, it should be used for transporting troops around the battlefield.

3 Engineers with their wrenches out can keep you in the air almost indefinitely.
                    Some would argue that this is an exploit. I would argue that it is unrealistic

Even with less armor
                    It takes two direct hits to down a BH with either the AT or AA missles. This is the same as destroying the APC's and MBT's.

If you're skilled enough you can evade *most* missiles, but fighting back isn't very effective.
                    Missles cant hit the broad side of a barn under most conditions.

The miniguns can engage, but they rarely do enough damage to either force the enemy to back off or destroy him.
                    Obviously you've never had/seen a good gunner. Those miniguns make micemeat of everything in the game, including the APC's and tanks if the gunner is any good at keeping them on target.

try to hover over the flag while giving your gunners angles on buildings and entrances to the base, also watch out for flagpoles rigged with C4 to prevent a capture. Another option (that I haven't ever tried) is to drop off all but your gunners, let them take the flag while you circle and provide support.
                    Hovering over the flag to capture it can also be considered a exploit, i just consider it cheap and it leads to flag hopping and makes the game less fun.

In my opinion the blackhawk should only be used to ferry troops quickly from one location to another and drop them off quickly while providing cover. It would be interesting to see how strategies evolved once the transports were actually used to move small 4-5 man squads to bases for cap/defense instead of using them as flag hopping capture/kill factories.

Comment

^^

Wrote this during the demo, it was before we had really learned to utilized the BH well, and before I knew how to pilot.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X