Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic Training: SQUADS (incomplete, need feedback!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Training: SQUADS (incomplete, need feedback!)

This is the first section of the first part of my Basic Training Series. I've been working on it on and off over the past couple of days and while it's not finished yet, I am looking for feedback on what I've got so far.

This part is about SQUADS and it is mostly just the "quick start" section which covers the "How To" stuff. I'll be adding an Advanced Topics section which will cover the subjects of finding a good squad/SL, identifying "themed" squads, how to be a good squaddie, etc..

So let me know what you think. If you think I'm missing anything for this section then let me know or if the info isn't accurate please point it out. I couldn't test some of the UI specifics cuz I'm writing it off the top of my head, from memory, at the office. TIA!

===================================
    Battlefield 2 Basic Training Series
    ===================================
    Revision: 06.24.05a

By: |TG|Rizzo
    [email protected]
    tacticalgamer.com

-----------------
    Part One: SQUADS
    -----------------

Battlefield 2 sports a well-designed squad system that should have all the forlorn team players up and moonwalking in celebration! Okay, maybe not moonwalking but surely a quick jig isn't out of the question. Finally we team players have a system that provides us with the necessary tools and functionality to operate more efficiently as a single, cohesive unit. BF2's squads offer team players the ability to communicate and coordinate not only within the squad, but also with the Commanding Officer. The only thing missing is inter-squad communication but this can still be accomplished, albeit clumsily, through the CO.

Make no mistake about it, squads in BF2 are the backbone of the Team and are absolutely essential for efficient communication, coordination, and teamwork. In most cases, a Team that utilizes the squad system to its fullest potential will have little trouble dominating Teams that do not.

Here's a list of some the key benefits of being in a squad:

* Squads can receive orders and intel directly from the Commanding Officer.
    * Squads can request support from the CO, such as artillery, radar scans, and supply drops.
    * Squad members can use the built-in VOIP (voice-over-IP) to communicate with other members of their squad.
    * Squad members can respawn with their squad leader no matter where he/she is on the map.

Ok, you can stop moonwalking now. People are starting to stare.

Squad Quick Start
    -----------------

The quick start guide is for the player that likes to jump in and get started right away. As such, the section is deliberately brief and to the point in order to get you up and running in a random squad in mere minutes. Just print it out and follow along and you'll look like a BF2 squad veteran!

I. Joining an existing squad.

How to join a squad:
    1. Hit the CAPS LOCK key to bring up the Squads screen.
    2. Find a squad with an open slot (the maximum squad size is SIX so full squads show up as "6/6").
    Optionally, you may click the 'down' arrow to the far right of the squad name to drop down a list
    of all the squad members' names. The name at the top is the Squad Leader (more on the SL later).
    3. Click the squad's Join button and your name will be added to the squad.
    4. Hit CAPS LOCK again to close the Squads screen.

II. Identifying and locating your squadmates.

Use these tips to identify and locate your squadmembers:
    a) Your squadmates' names are green.
    b) The locations of your squadmates are represented by the little green dots on the maps.
    c) Your squad leader is the big green circle with the number in it. The number identifies
    your squad to the commander.
    d) You will see small green arrows in your main HUD which indicate which direction your
    squadmates are in with relation to your current position.

III. Communicating with your squad.

There are three methods of communicating with your squad, as follows:

a) Using a microphone with the built-in VOIP (voice-over-IP):
    1. Press and hold your BattleComm key (default is B).
    2. A green "speaker" icon should appear, indicating your mic is active
    and ready to broadcast your voice.
    3. Speak up, soldier! Say "hello" and request orders.
    4. Release the BattleComm key to deactivate the mic.

When you activate your mic your name will appear in the HUDs of your squadmates so
    they'll know who is speaking. I believe your green dot on the map and your name over your
    player's head will flash as well.

b) Using the Commo Rose to send built-in, pre-recorded voice commands:
    1. Press and hold your Commo Rose key (default is Q).
    2. A radial menu should appear around a circle labelled "SPOTTED".
    3. Move your mouse to navigate through the menu.
    4. Click the Left Mouse Button when your desired message is highlighted and
    the Commo Rose will disappear and your message will be sent to the squad.
    You should be able to hear the message as well as see it in the chat box.

When you use the Commo Rose I believe your green dot on the map and the name over your
    player's head will flash to indicate who is speaking.

c) Using TEXT chat to send text messages in the Squad channel:
    1. Hit your "Say: Squad" key (default is L).
    2. Type in your message.
    3. Hit the Enter key to send the message to the chatbox.
    4. Blech! Don't do this anymore! Just get a mic or use the Commo Rose!

IV. Using the Commo Rose to request assistance from your squad.

You may use the Commo Rose to request:
    * First aid
    * Ammunition
    * Repairs

The advantage of using the Commo Rose to request assistance is that your dot will
    flash on the radar map so that your squadmates can locate you quickly and easily.

How to use the Commo Rose to request assistance:
    2. Move your mouse over the desired option, eg "Need Repairs"
    3. Click the Left Mouse Button and your message will be sent
    and your radar dot will flash.

V. Using the Commo Rose to spot enemies.

You can use the Commo Rose to pinpoint the exact location of an enemy on the radar.
    When you do so, the enemy will appear on the radar (to your entire team) as a flashing
    red icon for about 15 seconds. The specific icon will vary based on the type of enemy.
    For instance, a "spotted" enemy tank will be represented by a tank icon.

Hot to use the Commo Rose to spot enemies:
    2. Point the big circle in the center, labelled "Spotted", at the enemy.
    3. Click the Left Mouse Button and the message will be sent and the enemy
    will be shown as a flashing, red icon on the radar.

VI. Using your Squad Leader as a respawn point.

You may respawn at your Squad Leader's location, unless he/she:
    - dies before your respawn timer reaches zero
    - is in a vehicle, boat, or aircraft that has no empty seats

How to respawn on your Squad Leader:
    1. While dead, hit the Enter key to bring up the respawn screen.
    2. Click the green dot on the map (this is your squad leader).
    3. Click "Done" in the bottom right corner and you will respawn
    with your squad leader.

Advanced Squad Topics
    ---------------------

Coming soon....
    Last edited by TG_Rizzo; 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM.

Re: Basic Training: SQUADS (incomplete, need feedback!)

looks great....something to consider..ive found that the squad is only as good as the SL and Commandor..If neither are doing there jobs then its just a free-for-all. If you are new to the whole squad deal find a good squad leader such as luciddreams or devilman or wyz. those guys helped me out my first few nights just me being in the squad not really talking just watching and following.
    If you dont like whats going on in the squad you are in IE..not following commadors orders or not communitcating...make you own..

Squads are fun and you can really get to know some good guys/girls(do we have any of those). Being organized takes time but it sure makes for some great fire fights and scrambles.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Very good stuff Rizzo.. :icon14:

You may want to add that if the SL is in a vehicle and the vehicle is full, you will not be able to spawn on him. Request that he exits the vehicle for one second so you can catch up.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
        Very good stuff Rizzo.. :icon14:

You may want to add that if the SL is in a vehicle and the vehicle is full, you will not be able to spawn on him. Request that he exits the vehicle for one second so you can catch up.
        If the SL is en route to an objective then the squaddie should probably wait until he's there. It might be better to spawn at the location instead of halfway there and having to walk because there isn't space in the vehicle.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Through trial and error I think when the squad leader is in a full vehicle he has red circle around his green dot on the "spawn" screen. I found this out after many instances where I was waiting to spawn on the SL, but at the spawn screen I couldn't select him because of the red circle.

Also, squad members can use the request como rose (default key T) to request orders if the SL isn't issuing any.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1726
            Through trial and error I think when the squad leader is in a full vehicle he has red circle around his green dot on the "spawn" screen. I found this out after many instances where I was waiting to spawn on the SL, but at the spawn screen I couldn't select him because of the red circle.
            Oh yeah, I've seen that but it looks just like the dot when he gets killed too. I just assumed when this particular dot was moving around that the SL got killed in a vehicle... heh

Also, squad members can use the request como rose (default key T) to request orders if the SL isn't issuing any.
            Ooh, I forgot that one.

As for the other stuff like making tactical decisions, I'm saving it for the Advanced topics section. Thanks!

Comment

Another thing is if the SL needs a medic and you are in a building tell the medic what floor you are on. Sometimes you cant tell where people are when they are in the building and it helps out alot if you call out what floor you went down on there is a better chance of finding you.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1726

I'm pretty sure the request orders/supplies/artillery does not go to the commander, but your squad leader instead. Only the squad leader can request it from the commander. This was done so the commander wouldn't be as flooded
                Telorn

Comment

OK, the one thing I'm unsure about is when I use the Commo Rose to, say, request first aid, does it only go to my squad or to the entire team? The TEXT shows up as "green" rather than blue which leads me to believe it only goes to the squad. Any ideas?

Comment

i believe it shows up green to you but blue to every one else....just my guess
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Great post...do you have any info on the workings of squad members names list. You can click each name and the color changes..dunno why yet. What is the tick box for to the left of there name? What are the definitations of the symbols = to class type.

Thx

[age-c1] [conduct]
                      Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

I posted the guide here on PBF with a subtle plug for TG. Feel free to reply and keep it bumped for a while. :)

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Trigger
                          Great post...do you have any info on the workings of squad members names list. You can click each name and the color changes..dunno why yet.

Thx

When you click on someone's name, their color also changes on your mini-map so you can see who is where.
                          Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

Originally posted by Halligan
                            When you click on someone's name, their color also changes on your mini-map so you can see who is where.
                            Thanks for the tip. Do you recall what color?

Comment

Believe it's white.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X