commander - any tips or strategies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commander - any tips or strategies?

I want to get into playing as commander some. I was wondering if you folks had any tips regarding strategies or tactics which you think will work well for a commander. There is so much you can do, I got kind of overwhelmed when I tried it.

Thanks

Re: commander - any tips or strategies?

when i play commandor i give orders to the squads but i also sit back and watch..if i notice a squads coming under attact i use the UAV and i scan constantly....let the SL'ers tell you what they need.....talk to them, have them tell you what they see and hear....be patient. Especially in the TG server the SL's know what they are doing and will let you know what they need.

i personally dont give a ton of orders.....look at what makes up the squad and decide who are where to put them....give them orders and let them figure out how to execute.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I have tried it for about 8 hrs of gameplay and have been lucky winning a lot, due to the following I guess. Most of it is old news but hey it worked for me ;)

a) Motivate players to join squads!
      b) Use the UAV to assist your troops a lot, keep it running all the time
      c) You in person find a good position where you can defend artillery and/or UAV site.
      d) Minimize the logstics. Order your men to destinations, which they can reach in reasonable time.
      e) Flank each base you attack with two squads attack each flag, or diversify one squad, do not assault frontally.

Secondary, keep your eyes out for enemy troops attacking your artillery and UAV and groups of enemy troops going around the battle to attack a flag behind your lines.
      - delanvital
      Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

Originally posted by delanvital
        d) Minimize the logstics. Order your men to destinations, which they can reach in reasonable time.
        I'd like to re-iterate this one. While there may be times when a squad MUST travel all the way across the map, many times you can advance a closer squad and then have the squad that is farther away come up and take the original position.

It's also sometimes painstaking for the squad to continually have to travel back and forth across the larger maps, especially if they cannot locate a nearby vehicle.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

What helped me alot: Scan and artillery. Punish the enemy for staying in groups by scanning constantly and finding good artilery strike positions. In one game I managed to get 40 artillery kills (Wyzcrak was the enemy commander) just by using the scan/artillery combo. It significantly helped our team take positions and do as well as we did (we lost, but ticket score was 0-4 at the end). THAT was a great game.

Comment

I enjoy the commander role, althought it is stressful when you have a full server and tons of squads.

A few tips:

* Stay calm, and think through your strategy. Don't just send squads to attack flags. You need to have a plan in mind. If squad leaders are calling for orders, don't hesitate to tell them to sit tight and devend their current position for a moment while you scan the map.

* Communicate. If you're sending a squad in to attack a flag, and there is another squad there or on their way, let them know so they are not surprised. Keep squads informed of what is happening on the map. If there is a large concentration of the enemy some place, and you can't put UAV over them, alert the squad leaders.

* Learn your maps and the names of the control points. SLs also need to do this. Be aware of the terrain. Spend some time in the 3x zoom so you understand where the choke points are, etc.

* Finally, don't resign. Unless SLs say you suck and you should leave, don't let the pressure cause you to leave in the middle of a round. Having a consistant commander throughout a round is important to maintain the morale of your team.

Of course these are just a few. I'm not a perfect commander, but enjoy it. But even at that, I'd much prefer to play an assult guy on a good SL's squad.
            |TG|MileHighAko
            |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

The UAV is your friend, and your troops' greatest asset.

Use it CONSTANTLY. The scan is critical as well for your big picture, but a UAV can make all of the difference in a battle on the ground.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

What info does the scan do that the UAV doesn't, and the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by Makk
                  What info does the scan do that the UAV doesn't, and the other way around?
                  Everyone on your team can see what the UAV sees, while only the commander sees the scan.

I think.... :icon6:
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    Everyone on your team can see what the UAV sees, while only the commander sees the scan.

That is correct. And while the scan has to 'reload' the UAV is up and running for a long time one a specific part of the map, before having to do so. Show your squads what they are moving into. If you want them to attack a flag, keep it running in advance to let them plan their attack in accordance.
                    - delanvital
                    Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

Hey, just few a few thoughts from me.

Originally posted by MileHighAko
                      * Communicate. If you're sending a squad in to attack a flag, and there is another squad there or on their way, let them know so they are not surprised. Keep squads informed of what is happening on the map. If there is a large concentration of the enemy some place, and you can't put UAV over them, alert the squad leaders.
                      I've had CO's talk to all squad leaders at the same time (holding down control key and clicking all the SL's in the voice comm menu I believe) and it really adds another dimension to communication, such as "squads one and two you have multiple targets moving in on you from the north road." Hearing a CO call for airsupport for my squad is fantastic!

Originally posted by MileHighAko
                      * Finally, don't resign. Unless SLs say you suck and you should leave, don't let the pressure cause you to leave in the middle of a round. Having a consistant commander throughout a round is important to maintain the morale of your team.
                      I'm not sure what the motivation is but it seems there is a mutiny vote every minute or so, but it's almost always from people who I never see take the commander role. So i agree, if you apply for commander and are accepted, stay in the whole turn. Every turn you take at the commander role makes you that much better.

One thing I've tried to do in my few turns as CO (40+ minutes is a long time, and props to those CO's who take on the job) is to get SL's to post their objectives so I can watch for logistics concerns, and also get squads to link up to support each other if appropriate.

kedge

Comment

Me thinks that many of the mutiny votes we see are new players that simply don't realize that clicking the mutiny button initates a vote.
                        |TG|MileHighAko
                        |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

In addition, the UAV is of course smaller, but it's longer-lasting and more detailed (the UAV shows tanks and buggies and such, while the scan only shows blips)
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I had a great time as a commander in a game and a half in last nights password games. Some things I think are important (everything above = great advice):

- In maps where your CP's are all captureable, it is vital to have a competent squad defend your artillery, radar, commander dog house, and the flag that is near them. You cannot be an effective commander if you are by yourself at the 'main base' trying to thwart an enemy squad from taking your main flag.

- As a commander always send a squad with two special forces and a support to take out the enemies artillery, commander doghouse, and radar. Two c4 per target will destroy them. If the CP that is in the area is capturable, have them stick around and grab that as well; consider making them a full time defense for that position. If the CP is un capturable have them strike fast and move out in the interest of not being spawn campers. As soon as your SL's report enemy artillery, send that squad back in for an explosives mission. :)

- Artillery takes time to hit the target. It seems to me this is mostly a function of how far your artillery positions are from the target selected. If there is an enemy squad on the move that you want to take out (and it can be done) lead the target. No lead it further. There. :) Destroying an enemy squad with your artillery that is far away from the action is completely demoralizing. They never knew it was coming.

- Using artillery in close quarters hot spots is okay. I don't know for sure but it seems to me that your troops do a better job of surviving your barrages. I mean if your going to deploy arty close to a squad let them know, for gods sake. But tell them incoming arty in 20 seconds and they'll take a hint. Don't do this if there is nowhere for them to take cover.

- Remember supply drops are mana from heaven. And they attract ants like honey; even big armored ants. And they explode REALLY big when hit with large weapons. Little ants will sometimes swarm over to them and hide behind them never suspecting the next gift from the sky will be certain death... I'll let you guys work on that one ;)

That's all I have for now. All I know is that win or lose commanding can be pretty fun.
                            Last edited by Rincewind; 06-26-2005, 02:03 PM. Reason: speeling mistakes
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I'm pretty sure if you zoom in all the way (SO you see the battlefield instead of that map) you can see enemies even without scan or UAV.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X