Sniper kit as a Leadership Role?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper kit as a Leadership Role?

Today I ended up playing as a Squad Leader. At first I was playing as an Assualt ot Medic, various kits actually. I found I was constantly walking into trouble and getting my ass shot off. I ended up on the USMC team during the next round. (Yay!) I was also thankful to give up the the position of Squad Leader. Well before long I was squad leader again after someone quit and no one else seemed to want the job. I decided I would try harder to stay safe, but I still wanted to be able to help my squad out instead of just jumping down a hole with my gun poking out.

I somehow stumbled upon the sniper kit during the battle. It's perfect for this role! Especially on maps where the flags are surrounded by hills such as Mashtuur City, Operation Clean Sweep, and my personal favorite map Songhua Stalemate. Using the sniper rifle I can get to a safe spot on a hill and watch my squad mates go to work. At the same time I can tell them when someone is trying to flank them. And if they start taking fire from a machine gun or enemy sniper, one quick pop and problem solved. The information of acting as a spotter can be invaluable to the squad. And when people die they are spawned at a safe location well enough away that they can try again from another angle.

Note: This suggestion works well with a *foot* squad. I am personally a little wary of land vehicles besides the Humvee, which can't hold a whole squad anyway. I would rather slog it out on foot than be stuck in the death traps known as tanks and APCs. The only other mode of transportation worthy of the All Mighty Phelan Ward ;) is helicopters.

I hope this suggestion helps those squad leaders who find themselves rushing into battle and getting their ass shot off.

Re: Sniper kit as a Leadership Role?

While this works in some situations, here are a couple things to consider...

1) If you are in the hills, you may not be close enough to the objective to provide an ample spawn point.
    2) Sniper has no armor as a few of the other classes do. However, classes like medic do not either so it's not as strong of an argument.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think there is a lot of value to having the SL take the sniper kit, but there are situations where, as asch put it, you probably want someone who can actually be a spawn point closer to the objective. From my experience, when you're assaulting a flag in an urban area with lots of building cover, it's effective for the SL to take an assault kit and try to get inside one of the buildings while the flag is being contested, and then serve as a spawn point/ammo resupply as your squad members go out and engage in the firefight.

When I'm the SL I'll usually alternate between the sniper/special forces kit (for when our squad is hoofing it to the objective and I want to scout and give orders, and then I'll try and pick up an assault kit when we capture/defend.

Comment

Don't get me wrong in an urban area I'm all for the assualt. On wide open maps though the sniper can get close enough without being spotted. Also the sniper should really be judicous with what he kills. You should ask yourself if the target is worth the possible exposure of the squad leader. There is also something to be said for not continuously rushing into a flag from the same direction.

Comment

As SL I tend to take the support kit, providing cover fire, and keeping the emey pinned down, as well as providing ammo resuply, important if you have somone with the anit-take and/or sniper kits. I generally let somone else be the medic as they are more in the middle of the fight.
          |TG|MileHighAko
          |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

Definately someone else needs to medicate. That way if the squad leader can be revived.

Comment

I like the idea of a Support in the Squad Leader role. They're tough to kill, they don't run out of grenades and rarely reload. Leave them with a few medikits and you'd have a pretty secure mobile spawn point.

One thing I like about medic Squad Leaders is that if they get shot anyone can revive them by picking up their kit.

Comment

So SL's really shouldn't be one of the guys rushing into the assault right? When assaulting, you folks would recommend the SL stay on 'the sidelines' while the squad members assault?

Comment

I was running today with Darkmatter, he was SL support and I was medic, staying right with him. Made us sort of a mobile CP where the grunts could get healed and rearmed, and his ammo packs let me really spam the medpacks out there for the guys.

I was in Phelan's squad yesterday too, and that worked pretty good too with him as sniper SL. You gotta use APCs more though buddy. :)

Comment

Ack, I hate em! They're death traps. On the plus side your all ready packaged in a metal coffin when you die. I suppose if it's just point to point it wouldn't be so bad. In my world only humvee's and blackhawks are good for transportation. Then again that is a sad strange little world that we're talking about. APCs can't even carry a full squad. Next time we'll take 2 humvees.

@ Makk - Yeah they definately should not be leading the charge.

Comment

Snipers in battle are marked targets. Spec Ops, Assault, Support, and Engineers are nothing to consider, while Anti Tanks, Snipers, and Medics are targets in battle. People dont call out "OMG a Spec ops is by the tree! Kill him fast!", instead calling out "Sniper on the roof!" AT behind that tank! Medic on the field"

There is something to be said for hiding in plain sight.

Comment

I have thought about this a lot, and come to the feeling that SF make the best choice for SL:

Accurate weapons (except maybe the chinese), so advantageous to sit at a distance and pick off people trying to flank your squad. Also has rapid fire in case you are in trouble. Doesn't show up on scans, so harder for the enemy to find the spawn point in an assault. C4 can be used to blow enemy assets up if they are nearby, although better use is defensivley to take out enemy vehicles.

I have also played Support and Anti-Tank and think that they work okay, but are more situation dependent. You really want that Support guy chugging out the rounds, and it can be hard to focus on giving orders and keeping out of harms way of you are on suppression duty. Similarly anti-tank attracts attention, but can be a good option as your lines of fire will be different against armour/aircraft.

Engineer could be the best choice for some maps - like SF is kinda a passive role.

Medic I think is the worst choice I think as it is the SL that needs the medic ;)

Of course this is based upon how I like to run my squad, so others may have had very different experiences.

Comment

SL as a medic isn't neccessarily the worst choice as it means a medic kit is right ontop of the SL when he dies, thus allowing any player at all nearby to grab it and revive. Note that this only works once though, then the SL gets your old kit. =P

- Possible drawback is that this may cause the "medic syndrome" to take over the entire squad when the SL goes down, causing massive defib confusion and loss of situational awareness. ;)
                          Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                          [age-c1]
                          [eng][air]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...