To Mic or not to Mic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Mic or not to Mic

I don't have a mic at the moment, tending just to t y p e in orders/directions etc to other squad members.

I think I already know the answer to this question, but do you guys recommend going for the full mic option? Or not.

And if so, can anyone recommend any good UK online retailers?

Skellen.

Re: To Mic or not to Mic

YES, you should go for the full mic option. You don't need anything expensive. I don't know what stores are available in the UK, but you can find inexpensive computer headsets at just about every office supply store.

Using a headset is, in my opinion, neccessary for proper team play and to really enjoy this game.
    |TG|MileHighAko
    |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighAko
      Using a headset is, in my opinion, neccessary for proper team play and to really enjoy this game.
      There's your answer. Don't just get a mic. Get a HEADSET.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I never read text messages. Who has the time? Get a mic! :)

Comment

Mic all the way. Out of every 100 text messages, I read like one.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            Mic all the way. Out of every 100 text messages, I read like one.
            Me too.

I got a mike for Saturday's password games. Not a headset, just a mike. Sound comes through your regular speakers I believe anyway. The mike I got was $10 at Radioshack. I just use my heaphones for the rest of the sound.

If you don't have a mike, PLEASE do not be SL or Commander. Unless on a public server, then you can do whatever you want because they're all Rambo anyway
            --JP

Comment

Hi Skellen,

the way I have done it is to get a cheapy 6 headset/microphone at GAME. Then I plug only the mic part into the back. This way I have the sound output through my speakers as normal, and I wear the headset around my neck with the mic poking up in front.

Hard to put a marker on how much that 6 has improved the game, but I doubt I would play BF2 hardly at all if I didn't have the mic.

I have heard that you can get some really good headsets that even allow you to hear people 'creeping up behind you', although that may just be people exaggerating to make their system seem so much better than anything else on the planet ;) I have no experience of this tho, so I'll leave it to others to give a better review.

Comment

Don't forget to still use the in game text messages along with the mic. They quickly provide lasting information for the team like marking on map where enemies are and displaying nearby medics.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                  I have heard that you can get some really good headsets that even allow you to hear people 'creeping up behind you', although that may just be people exaggerating to make their system seem so much better than anything else on the planet ;) I have no experience of this tho, so I'll leave it to others to give a better review.
                  I don't know about headphones, but I have the 5.1 Klipsch speakers with Audigy 2 ZS and there was one time I was sniping and heard a rustling of grass behind me. I whipped around with my pistol, ready to fire...and saw nothing. I continued to scan the area for a few more seconds, because I swore I heard something behind me. All of a sudden, an enemy comes over the top of the hill 10 feet infront of me and I fill him full of lead. I would have been dead otherwise. I'm sure he was surprised to find me facing him ready at the trigger :)

I don't know if headsets can give the distinct 5 channels (left, center, right, rear left, rear right), but it definitely does make a difference in a speaker setup.
                  Telorn

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    There's your answer. Don't just get a mic. Get a HEADSET.
                    Agreed 100%. Headsets rule all!
                    "If it's dangerous to talk to yourself, it's probably even dicier to listen" -Jim Hightower

Comment

Definitely go with the headset dude. I got the Plantronics 500 USB headset ($50 from newegg.com) and it's definitely worth it. Your enjoyment of the game will well exceed the money you invest, and it'll take your play to the next level. No joke.
                      Beatnik

Comment

I mostly use my little JBL speakers for sound (volume is way up there...) and use my mic headset around my neck, pointing the mic at my mouth. works pretty good.

I'm a bit anal about sounds, so cheap headphones are not for me... if i don't want to bother people around me (girlfriend...) i'll put on my good headphones instead.

Definatly go with a good quality Mic and/or headphones. It makes a world of difference, at both ends.

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=9272

A good headset can make all the difference! For CS:S the Medusas were Excellent, but there is so much going on in BF2, that i rarely hear anyone trying to sneak up on me....it does help though when trying to identify from which direction a tank or chopper is coming from.

Dirt013
                          Dirt013

Comment

I hate playing on a server where sqaud team mates are afraid to use the mic. Or even vorse if the players have joined the squads but nevertheless plays solo.

This game is about squad play, intercommunication and tactics!

Comment

Then you've come to the right place! Welcome!
                              Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                              [age-c1]
                              [eng][air]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...