Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location Names

Hey everyone,

Its come to my attention as i play Commander or SL that i often do not know the name of the flag locations. I'm always going - "Squad Alpha, provide support to Charlie at...err... far east's flag location... yeah..."

Are there official names?

I wish there'd be a way to 'write' on the map as the commander, to spell out names or quick references to every locations you might think off.

I know all about the 'move to this location' and 'attack' or 'defence' fonctions, but its sometimes a bit complicated if you want to drop supplies, send an artillery and provide overhead support to two squads at the same time.

Having names of locations would be a great help. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make screen captures of every map overviews and pic JPGs with specific names for TG players. That way it would be easy to print those and stick them on the side of the monitor or something... ?!

I think that could greatly improve communication, clarity and speed in the chain of command... ?

Comments welcome as always :D

Re: Location Names

that does make sence....maybe that could be in a patch or something....
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I want Map Grid References.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=93

( If you enjoy TG and haven't experienced our GR, you should. )
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

Heck yeah!!

Commander, Squad 3, Fire for Effect, Grid 371561, over. That would rock.

Comment

First off, when addressing squads use their squad number instead of their squad name. It is a lot easier for the SL to recognize his squad by number, and it is easier for you as commander to see them on the map.

As for control points, they all have names. Unfortunatly I don't know of a good resource that lists those names as they certianly are not displayed in-game except when they are captured (a text message appears).

I puchased the Prima official game guide for just this reason as it has all of the control points listed by name on the map. When I command I open that guide and use it as a reference. When commanding squads to hit specific control points I refer to the guide for the name, and verbally tell the squad leader "squad 2, attack East Village, which is directly to your north", while at the same time marking it on the map. I'm hoping that the squad leader relates this message to his squad, and now everyone in that squad knows that the control point to their north is called East Village.

I think over time as we all become more aware of the maps it will be easier to identify the control points by name.
          |TG|MileHighAko
          |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

The tournament I used to play in would number the flags from north to south (1 to N) including the uncappable flags.

EDIT: It would be 8 hours of development time to go in and modify the ingamemap.dds for each map to put the flag names on it. Putting that and other relevant info would be a good "atmosphere" enhancement for EA to do.

I always wanted to abandon the tournament flag numbering scheme and go with objective names that were women's names (complete with a picture like the WWII "nose-art.") I'm sure all of the grunts would be extra enthusiastic to "take Gertrude" for their commander.
            Last edited by Ski-Racer; 06-28-2005, 07:19 PM.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

that would be a great idea. it always helps to have a map of the landscape, it would greatly inprove communication speed and there would be little confusion. great idea! :D

Comment

I wish they had names too. But I suppose we'll just have to leave it to the community to give them names just by common reference, like "construction site" and "hotel". IF somebody could compile a list of the "real" names that would be a good start.

Comment

The way we handled this in flight sims was to create graphic maps with labels for each target. Everybody printed out the map and had it sitting next to their keyboard.

In the TG GR servers we always had map overlays, giving you in-game grid references. Overlays for BF2 with a grid and location labels would be excellent. I have no clue of the technical feasibility of this but please make it happen smart computer guys. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak

Isn't it a matter of doing something like this? This took me 2 mins to do.

www.thorlaksson.dk/dalian_plant_16_menuMap-g.jpg

I guess a good start would be to use asch's maps with arty and uav signatures and then make a grid overlay in the right size and in a different color. As long as the grid is fine enough to mark essential positions like flags, bridges etc. ... I wouldn't mind helping out with this.

An advantage with grid versus flag names, is that you can easier refer to an unnamed spot, such at one side of a bridge, a hill, etc. .. But I guess you GR guys are much better at all this.
                    Last edited by delanvital; 06-29-2005, 09:41 AM.
                    - delanvital
                    Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

delan, in GR, they were placed over the map in-game, for everyone, so all players saw the exact same grid in-game.

I would like that in BF2.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That would be the best, of course - but I kinda went on with your idea, and the other idea of having a map next to you in print, sorry I tend to me very implicit :\ I figured that would be an easy solution...
                        Last edited by delanvital; 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM.
                        - delanvital
                        Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

I dimly recall seeing elsewhere that those maps are just stored as compressed textures in the game. In theory it would be possible to replace those with grid-coord (and flag named) versions of same.

Would there be an interest in such I think if I investigated the technical feasibility of it?

Comment

Ok, I basically got this working. I'd love some feedback on whether I should continue and clean these up and/or do them for more maps. I didn't bother lining up all the grid coordinates outside the main areas yet, for example.

Here are some screenshots.

A few questions for opinions:

-- Should they go A1, A2, A3, or A1, B1, B3... that is, currently I go with the letters vertically, should they be horizontal instead?

-- Should the letters just go on the columns & rows at the edge of the map, or translucently superimposed like I have now?

-- Suggestions for colors or how opaque the letters should be would also be useful.

-- It would be easy to add flag designators as well but I didn't see a good way to do that without making it all too cluttered.

-- Is an 8x8 grid the right size? It worked out well with the 512x512 art.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Also, you can't join normal servers when you've modified your ingamemap.dds like this. The error message implies that a server can be configured in such a way as to allow mods, though I don't know if that would open up the door to cheating as a risk we wouldn't want to take.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X