Transport helicopter directions mini-protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport helicopter directions mini-protocol

The transport squads help a ton in keeping squads mobile, but, ever had some kind person offer your squad a ride on his fancy whirlybird, request that he take you "South west of base x", but because the pilot doesn't know exactly what you are planning, he sets you down in the best LZ he could, just a tad too far to the west?

You bail out and find that between you and base x is an insurmountable 10 foot concrete wall...

First, use the grid system rather than vague directions to tell the pilot where to go, improve your directions by imagining a 3x3 grid overlaying the cell, and specify which part of the cell you want to set down in, for instance, the South West corner of G5:
    "Littlebird, G5, SW"

Or Dead Center:
    "Littlebird, G5, DC"

Short enough to be easy to type, extend as needed:
    More explicit "Littlebird, SW corner of coordinate G5"
    or more specific "Littlebird, G5, SW, top of hill"
    "Littlebird, G5, SW, set us down in-bounds please, and try not to crash again Whiskey"

Re: Transport helicopter directions mini-protocol

Not a bad idea. I have actually had the opposite problem. I'm sitting in the helo as the pilot asking for a destination and I get nothing from the passengers. I just end up plopping them beside the mob and hope for the best :)
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

I like the idea of a 3x3 overlay.

You might want to start off with the grid coordinates, then as you approach, specify the overlay coordinate. Gives you a chance to eyeball your initial LZ and change your mind.

Good idea!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Iamthefallen View Post
        "Littlebird, G5, SW, set us down in-bounds please, and try not to crash again Whiskey"
        Great stuff fallen... too bad we didn't have this protocol in place yesterday, huh?!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
          Great stuff fallen... too bad we didn't have this protocol in place yesterday, huh?!
          Oh it's just a generic guide, you know, without any one pilot in particular in mind :icon_cool

I laughed so hard yesterday I couldn't breathe, I think the best insertion was when we arrived at the destination after an surprisingly and unusually uneventful flight. You hovered on the edge of a ledge to let us down. I watched Lily and Joe drop onto the ledge, and went after them just as the chopper lurched back a bit, over the ledge, and I dropped 100 ft to my death.

Comment

I like this idea. Good stuff.
            Beatnik

Comment

Sounds like the making of another SOP.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse