Movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movement

It has struck me recently that very few people are using any kind of movement techniques across open terrain, and instead are just making one, long sprint from current position to marker/objective.

I know speed is important in the start-game, but would SL's particularly try to be a little more vigilant when it comes to moving across terrain? I've lost count of the number of times I've either a) died running, trying to keep up with a squad, or b) been totally left behind, when dieing doesn't seem like such a great option, and I've been trying to cover/move/cover effectively, but no-one else on the squad has been...it seems like the standard SOP for movement has been forgotten entirely.

I thankyou...

PS - Yes, I will try to practice what I preach! :row__523:
    7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
    And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
    - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Re: Movement

in Reality mod moving quickly is essential, especially in open terrain. snipers are on the look out you know :row__537: always watching with their beady little eyes. generally though for movement in open areas i SPRINT, fast fast fast. to cover then when i reach it i crouch down and look around. make sure the coast is clear and then continue moving forward. in city's i mostly crouch when moving through doorways and run from one small area of the city to the other, like say in qwai near government. would run inbetween the Cubical like areas and crouch through doorways.

Comment

Depends on the terrain/cover, whether there's any enemy activity reported in the area and how switched on your squadmates are.

If you've spawned miles away from the action (no closer flags or RPs), it can be difficult to hold back from simply running a straight path back to where you're needed. I do try to avoid wide opne areas and to stay close to trees and other cover in case Air Bad Guy flies overhead.

When you've got lucky and joined a switched on squad, then using alternating pairs leap-frogging short distances between cover while the others keep all round observation and cover their arcs is very effective and extremely rewarding.

Comment

I have noticed in a good squad that they will do the leap frogging but a lot of times it does depend all on the terrain. I am not going to try to lay low behind a tiny little hill when I know one well placed grenade or tank can take me out. Movement is the key sometimes, if you sit still you just made yourself an easier target especially on a flat, open terrain such as EJOD. If my sprint meter is empty then I may take cover long enough for it to replenish and off again I will go. Most of the people that are using sniper rifles on that map couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, even if they were standing inside it, lol. That is the reason I take my chances running so freely on that map and the fact I know most of the snipers are going to be high(mainly on the hill that overlooks West City and on top of buildings) and sitting still is dangerous.

Comment

I usually direct my squad to attack or defend something while I do the moving - 1 body in motion is less likely to attract attention than an entire squad - doesnt always work and it always seems that the second I stop and try to hide my ginormous melon I have 10 guys just over the rise I pick to stop at. Once I get to a favourable spot I will tell the crew to spawn on myself or the ralley, depending on the map and area I am in, still exposed and in need of a run. SPAWN AT RALLEY, or in perfect pos to do what needs to be done (or darn close) SPAWN ON ME, etc. etc.
          sigpic
          Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Comment

Originally posted by 7ShadesOSin View Post
            It has struck me recently that very few people are using any kind of movement techniques across open terrain, and instead are just making one, long sprint from current position to marker/objective.

I know speed is important in the start-game, but would SL's particularly try to be a little more vigilant when it comes to moving across terrain? I've lost count of the number of times I've either a) died running, trying to keep up with a squad, or b) been totally left behind, when dieing doesn't seem like such a great option, and I've been trying to cover/move/cover effectively, but no-one else on the squad has been...it seems like the standard SOP for movement has been forgotten entirely.

I thankyou...

PS - Yes, I will try to practice what I preach! :row__523:
            i agree whole heartedly, i was actually booted from a squad because i didnt want to run straight at the enemy with no regard, i had a sniper rifle and seeing as i was given no direct order, only a move order for the squad i took my time moving from cover to cover, and was kicked from the squad without warning because i didnt keep up. now i know speed is important but this squad had no rally, no close by spawns, and were running at a loaded base.... maddness... i didnt mind anyway went to a better squad that apreciated a stealthy sniper covering their approach.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

I constantly find myself asking the question while moving:

1) If I stay here for more than 30 seconds will I be pinned and then have arty/sniper/grenades drop on my head?
              2) If I move too quickly am I rushing towards an enemy fire lane?

Personally, I try to displace often while on defense and flank rapidly while on offense. This strategy is hit-or-miss but I know staying in one spot for too long is typically a miss.

Mobility and flexibility are extremely important in PRM. Also use smoke liberally once contact is made! If the enemy is close you can grenade the area and pull back, or you can use it to conceal other movements. You can also throw the enemy the curveball of rushing past them and then firing on them from their rear once the smoke dissipates. This is the hardest to achieve, though, since a lot of random squadmembers chose to pause and fight in the middle of the smoke instead of pushing through it while holding their fire.

Comment

i tend to head for buildings, or valleys as often as possible, not loan buildings but lines of them or thick areas of bush.... that way if someone was watching me run into the area... they A) wont wnat to run towards me fast incase they get capped B) will loose sight of me..... and i should also mention i tend to take 30 second breaks in as much cover and concealment as possible.... so that C) they will see someone else or get bored and i can continue to move... it seems to see me through most of the time...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Getting in behind em is, I guess, my main attempt. Especially if they are fighting guys in my squad. It's easier to tell (about) how many are there and their general area - as my guys get picked off of course. If they get mowed down en-mass it's pretty easy to figure they are concetrating in that direction. One drops, two drops etc. they may have a defense perimeter set. If they all run clear through and beat me to the other side than I wasted 2 minutes doing the flank.

If playing on the regular old timetable (no PW) you have 1 maybe 2 squads to worry about. Allot of rogue squads running around bumbling their way through if they are acting as a squad at all. It's rare to get a good head to head going but it happens.

The only aggravating bit of moving with the entire squad, while flanking, is the one guy who is taking pot shots at distant targets. Thereby giving our pos away. Enemy running in the opposite direction, unless within a close range, should be left to run away. Not turned to spot your butt just before you cross a river or open terrain.
                  sigpic
                  Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Comment

Imo the only way to get past an open area in one piece is by using lots of smoke. All you need is one grenadier to pop up some smoke at long distance, the rest of the squad can drop some more if needed... should get you to the other side.
                    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

I wasn't talking about stopping, or hiding, or taking permanent cover.

I was talking about stopping for a moment, even if it's only one second, taking a knee and doing a quick scan, then moving on.

Preferably doing this in formation, using progressive or successive bounding techniques.

It doesn't have to be slow, and you don't have to be stopped for any length of time for it to be successful, but it sure is better than using the entire sprint meter to arrive at your destination with no oomph left to get you out of a situation when it arises, which it oftem does. Maybe my usual medic role is at a disadvantage, since I deliberately trail the pack...

I'm sure I read an SOP on bounding, but I can't find it in the SOP's page...
                      7Shades

Comment

Anyone intrested in learning squad based infantry tactics should attend the open practice session this saturday...check the irregs forum for more info

Comment

Originally posted by 7ShadesOSin View Post
                          I wasn't talking about stopping, or hiding, or taking permanent cover.

I was talking about stopping for a moment, even if it's only one second, taking a knee and doing a quick scan, then moving on.

Preferably doing this in formation, using progressive or successive bounding techniques.

It doesn't have to be slow, and you don't have to be stopped for any length of time for it to be successful, but it sure is better than using the entire sprint meter to arrive at your destination with no oomph left to get you out of a situation when it arises, which it oftem does. Maybe my usual medic role is at a disadvantage, since I deliberately trail the pack...

I'm sure I read an SOP on bounding, but I can't find it in the SOP's page...
                          Check the 1stMIP Wiki :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                            Check the 1stMIP Wiki :D

DB
                            That's the one!

Nice one Dick. ;)

IMHO, I think this should be somewhere in the Required Reading section, or as part of the Fire & Movement SOP.
                            7Shades

Comment

We use bounding and successive overwatch quite a bit when the 1st is formed up (or even partially formed up).

When I play without my mates in the first (and SLing) I tend not to bog the squad down with the aforementioned maneuvers. It's a lot of work to get people to do what you want them to do consistently. I generally assign a TGer to take point and let him use his own discretion.

Your point is well taken however. In future squads I'll try to tighten my movement orders up.
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed