This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 203s CAN be effective

Just got done on Operation Phoenix running a Arty Sqd and it was effective. As insurgents we lost Construction site so the Sqd sat on a hill and unloaded 203s into it and held it from a distance until an assault sqd moved in. We then repositioned to the West to provide flank cover but CO found a Rally so we took out the rally (and about 10 guys), again from a distance with out breaking a sweat. We then moved W of Construction covering the road between Train and Construction and worked our way N.

We held the W flank while the other Sqds moved through the city and we won the map.

Re: 203s CAN be effective

Cool! I want to be one such squad now. Also, did you get the Battle Recorder files so you can make a movie? Also, isn't Operation Phoenix a USMC vs. MEC map?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Can confirm that it was inded nice teamwork and effective. was one of the rifle mens giving unlimited resuply :D

looking forward to sq up white you again

EDIT: yea it was USMC vs. MEC we where MEC
      A crazy solder from the deepest forests of Skåne, Sweden.

Comment

Crombo,

Outstanding, I love the mobile arty team. It can do some major damage and in a pinch can act as an assault team. I also would be interested in the video.

B
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks this tactic is cheap? Sure, its great you can organize a group to do it, but there shouldn't be a squad of 203's laying down mortar fire. There should be A 203 in a squad popping windows and hitting hillsides when asked to by the SL.

I really hope GL goes limited in future release.
          |TG|Switch

Better known as:
          That noob who crashed the chopper.
          That noob who ran over the mine.
          That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
          That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Switch View Post
            Am I the only one who thinks this tactic is cheap? Sure, its great you can organize a group to do it, but there shouldn't be a squad of 203's laying down mortar fire. There should be A 203 in a squad popping windows and hitting hillsides when asked to by the SL.

I really hope GL goes limited in future release.
            Given that this is a real life tactic, why is it cheap? It's both appropriate in a mod called project reality and appropriate given the TG Primer
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Well in reality you'd have one grenadier to a squad (or 2, since squads are bigger than the 6 men we get in BF2)... not a squad of grenadiers.
              |TG|Switch

Better known as:
              That noob who crashed the chopper.
              That noob who ran over the mine.
              That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
              That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

So how many times were you called noobs? Honestly that does tick me off a little when people call you a noob when playing with one certain weapon such as grenadier or even the AT/RPG. To me it shows some skill to be able to launch a grenade from a 203 and hit your target or even close enough to take the target out, especially when they are but little dots on the screen. Then to use the nade launchers without ANY damage to a team mate that is even better yet. I also have seen a lot of SL giving the person using this weapon a lot of slack and also I, along with others have been kicked from the squad JUST because you chose this weapon. Of course the first enemy you kill using the nade launchers are usually the first to come back with some smart remark to you using it. Amazing your whole squad didn't get so much slack from everybody in the game.
                To a point I would like to see grenadier be limited in future releases of PR though(1 per squad). It will give the enemy a chance for a good fight, not pinning them down completely with just the nades from the grenadier.

Comment

I love grenade launchers they are extremely effective. Most kill i get in games like BF2 can be from the GL.
                  |TG-Irr|TanithGhost
                  100 pixels height is too small people.

Comment

i agree with switch, i find it a cheap tactic and find your point invalid Root. using a SQUAD of GL's is unrealistic. a couple of GL's sure. it is NOT a real life tactic, hitting things with M203's is having a squad of them is not. a mortar squad is realistic. however mortars are very much different from the M203. they are shot further away and the rounds have a larger radius then the M203.

Comment

Even if it's not a real-life tactic, it's an effective one, and obviously provides a tactically equivalent element to the mortar squads in real life. Also, "cheap" is not an invalidation of any tactic. Calling something "cheap" means you think it isn't "fair", which is bologna when you talk about war.
                      The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                      I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                      Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Perhaps, but it's not war, it's a game. It is a fairly realistic game yes, but the object is to enjoy oneself and "cheap" tactics are detremental to other peoples enjoyment, mostly, reguardless of how effective they may be.

That said, I don't see it as cheap the way it is being used, if you all ran in and popped them at peoples feet left right and center well within close rifle range it would be a different matter.
                        "It's nothing to do with Stalker, really"

Comment

Personally, I think having A-10s on Al Basrah is "cheap", and I find that volleys of grenades are not "cheap". Such things are down to the level of opinion. Large aircraft, though, are as much of a part of a real world battlefield scenario as M203 grenades are and crack jumps aren't. If developers limit their games based on what inconveniences the impatient instead of allowing for improvisation, the developers aren't worth their weight in code. That being said, I realize that almost all commercial games are like this, so I guess I'm exaggerating, and that renders my entire argument invalid.
                          Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Given that this is a real life tactic...
                            As is (technically), jumping as you run to avoid fire - but that's not allowed in-game.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "cheap", but I can imagine this tactic will get very annoying very quickly if it becomes widespread, and is incorrectly used (ie, instead of using one barrage to clear out an area, spamming GL rounds onto a flag to keep it uncapped).

I see a heavy GL barrage before moving into an area valid. This could be provided by 2-3 men firing in timed successio. Good timing could keep a constant rate of fire while the barrage lasts. I don't see an entire squad of GL's being very realistic.

It may -encourage- the type of behaviour we don't want on the TG server, and that would be the main issue. Grenade spamming, and all that other good stuff, is not the behaviour we want to promote, and that is the main problem I see here.

But then, I haven't been part of a "mortar" team, and have not been on the receiving end, so I have no idea how it's being played exactly...just concerned that we encourage the wrong playing style.
                            7Shades

How sweet, thought lifeless, yet with life to lie,
                            And, without dying, O how sweet to die!
                            - from Thomas Warton's "Ode to Sleep"

Comment

Speaking from real life expereince, this tactic is used in the REAL world. I have been involved in many squads (real life) where the majority of us carried the 203. This is an effective weapon and is used throughout the urban combat arena. Your opinion of a "cheap" tactic is just that your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. Just keep in mind that some players begin to look for different ways to combat the enemy. I encourage people to explore different strategies. This 203 squad can be used by the CO to destroy targets and groups of enemy positions. It can also be an effective defensive weapon not to mention that its smoke capability is second to none.

Just my thoughts...keep thinking outside the box.

B
                              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X