No announcement yet.

Pink Teams: Usage and Operation Guide

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink Teams: Usage and Operation Guide

On maps like Qwai and Jabal Dam the only option for pilots is a transportation role. On maps like Sunset City, aerial reconnaissance is the most useful role of helicopters. This is primarily due type of helicopters alloted. On Qwai you only have transportation platforms and on Sunset City you can only access scout aircraft. However there are a select number of maps which include both light observation helicopters and aerial fire support platforms. Maps like Basrah and Steel thunder blend an interesting dynamic of numerous air assets with a variety of ground and air based anti-aircraft systems. Obviously the goal of any airborne operations squad is to inflict the greatest amount of damage to the enemy. In Project Reality with the long asset spawn times this may mean that a less aggressive aerial attack method may ultimately yield better results by preserving the aircraft from enemy fire and in the end waiting less on the tarmac and being a perpetual presence in the air. However a passive pilot is not enough to be effective, if the pilot doesn't get close enough to engage targets then none will be destroyed, of course the aggressive pilot who charges head on firing at everything that moves is likely to be downed by anti-air weapons rather quickly.

Another paradox of maps with this dynamic is the light observation helicopters invincibility to anti air missiles and it's resistance to light arms fire because of its size. Conversely, the attack helicopter has immeasurable fire power, and with a good pilot it can destroy large quantities of enemies rather quickly. Each helicopter has its downside as well, the scout aircraft has limited fire power, while the dedicated attack helicopter is a large, rather clumsy target.

I often wondered how this situation was dealt with in real life, and of course now scout helicopters use laser designators to paint targets for attack helicopters loitering at stand off range. They also have the benefit of the input of ground forces in many cases. Then I thought about how this was team with in before that technology was in use. After a bit of research I stumbled upon a bit of information on Pink Teams and their employment in the Second Indochina Conflict.

Essentially a pink team is comprised of low flying scout helicopters (White Team), primarily an OH-6 and then the fire power is provided by a UH-1 gunship or AH-1(Red Team). The low flying observation helicopters will draw enemy tracer fire and visually observe enemy emplacements while the red element will stay safe, high in the air and when the white team radioed contacts the AH-1s would hit the deck and engage, then pull out. A clever way to expose and obverse and eventually destroy enemy positions. But how could this be used in PR?

Well heres how it works, lets use Steel Thunder as an example.
    1.Have two guys, a pilot and gunner spawn at the main base and secure the attack helicopter.
    2.Immediately fly it to a safe place, on Steel Thunder this is the northwest corner of the map, have it hover in wait there.
    3.Send one pilot and up to two observers to power station to secure the scout helicopter. The Squad can have at minimum three players, but also as many as five, assuming you are not infringing on the main ground effort.
    4. Send the scout helicopter to a designated search zone. Good search zones include control points, but also roads, hill tops and bridges.
    5.Have the scout helicopter make a low and quick preliminary pass of the area. If you have obversers in the helicopter have then note points of interest. Such as, the state of the flag, smoke, possibly from a troop movement or tracer fire or even a piece of armour.
    6.Then this is where it gets important. On the second pass examine the potentially hot areas, get a specific description of the target and the exact location.
    7.On the third and final pass slow down spot the targets if possible and confirm your description.
    8.If you have observers on the side of your helicopter, give them the officer kit, it has binoculars to spot targets, but more importantly it has signal smoke. It may be best to throw the green smoke behind an unsuspecting tank and use this to help the red team ID the target.
    9..Concisely relay this information to the waiting attack helicopter pilots. Pilots and gunners should have their maps up making notes.
    A good relay should have
    A.Target type, infantry, tank, APC, ect.
    B. Specific location, not "west" But "50ms west north west of the flag on the road near the building with the gray roof"
    C.Quantity if applicable, two tanks, a whole squad of infantry, or just one light machine gun.
    Example:Three exposed infantry 25ms southwest of bridge flag, directly south of gray wall.
    10.The attack pilots now need to form a plan of attack, which should include munition type and approach angle. For example they know an enemy tank is on an east west road, and the nearest friendly flag is east, so they initially approach from the west in order to surprise the tank. If it's a tank the gunner may want to use his anti-tank missile, but the pilot also has rockets. So the decision should be made preapproach.
    11.The first pass should target the primary target designated by the scouts, once the munition is released, don't hover idly, follow through on your target, unless it is apparently unsafe to do so.
    12.Then make a 180deg turn and make your second and final pass from the opposite direction. This should be targeting any secondary targets outlined by the reconnaissance aircraft.
    13.Don't get distracted by targets not mentioned by the scouts, they know whats there and what needs to be dealt with.
    14.Immediately after the second pass the attack helicopter should fall back to its safe spot, the enemy will catch on quickly if you keep making passes. And after the fourth time you may have a nasty anti air missile surprise. It is important to disengage even if you doubt the targets have been destroyed.
    15.The attack helicopter should announce, rounds complete and the scout helicopter will make one more quick pass and give a contact report. What was destroyed and whats still there.
    16.A new general target area should be designated by the squad leader and the process repeated.

Communication, competence, specificity and coordination are not optional, they are crucial. Everyone needs to be on the same page, if there is silence in the channel then you can assume that everyone is away from their keyboard, because with something as complex as this attention and understanding are essential, at every point someone should be saying something. Don't be mic-shy. This is partly why I have created this post, not only for people interested in leading a squad like this, but also for those who see a squad called Pink Team, they now know what its all about and whats expected from them. Also, don't expect the squad leader to do everything in this situation, the squad leader only designates a target area and assigns positions in the helicopters.

Our experimentation with this earlier today showed much promise. Jeepo being the apt squaddie as he is was really getting the hang of what he was suppose to do.

Hope to see you all in the skies.

Re: Pink Teams: Usage and Operation Guide

Yea, i thought i would be as usefull as a hedgehog in a condom factory at this one, as it was an air ops squad, and i cant fly....:)However, there were many uses for this strategy, and, although it took us a long time to implement (could not acquire the appropriate hardware), towards the end when it started to work, i found it very effective!Also discovered the AA kit can be VERY useful....;)

Very good post Sam!And excellent flying all the guys involved, all i could do is fly into a tree!!!Will def join this squad if i see it again....
    Last edited by Jeepo; 04-29-2007, 01:44 AM.

This is a great strategy for air assets. It's usually pretty had to use them effectively, without advanced knowledge of targets and such. Though, the gunship pilot's rockets don't seem to effect heavy-skinned tanks much - I've been testing this out on Steel Thunder. They're more for infantry and light armor.

I've been spending a lot of time locally working on my piloting skills so hopefully I can handle a position in a squad like this well.
      "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

You guys rocked on THUNDER, even with all the neagtive comments you were getting.

This will hurt your standings as a supreme point man. We are finally seeing your true colors, and if you want to run and hide in an air squad..... I'm tellin' Root. ;-)
        "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Awesome post and another tactic for the tool bag.

In the pursuit of... something.

SOMEBODY TAKE THAT CHOPPER OUT! Dang I am always doin ground pounding and when tied down with this type of teamwork it gets me in the craw. Though when you hear a Kablaam and the twisted metal fall to the ground it is very satisfying.
            Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Lol,dont tell Root, i wont get my cookies!!!!!!

Pink as camouflage colours :

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Sam, great post!

I hope you don't mind if I expound on it a bit...

Every troop has the ability to have a "laser designator", it's the "Q" key by default. Back in Vanilla BF2 my team practiced ground troops marking targets for the helo, and wow was it ever effective. The A-bird is piloted in such a way where the ship is only a "gunsight" for the gunner. The TV missiles have a longer range them visual range, with some practice by the team in the bird you can easily decimate targets where all the targets can do is say, "where the hell did that come from"?

I've seen a couple pilot/gunner tandems start to become a factor lately and man can they be tide-turners if the troops on the ground give them the proper support they require. I've also had the pleasure to play "hide-n-seek" with some of those quality crews on Steel Thunder, man does that bring back old but good memories. Especially since currently the server runs no maps with air other then helo's, so as long as you stay over friendly lines and take advantage of the range the TV missile gives you, theoretically you should never be shot down...

If I didn't suck so much at everything involving PR aircraft, I'd want to try this out some time. I'll just hop in the armor and be a target for you.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed