Using the SA-7 GRAIL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the SA-7 GRAIL

I attempted to use the SA-7 GRAIL for the first time the other night and I could use some tips. If an experienced PR aircraft killer could clear up some things for me I would appreciate it.

How quickly can the SA-7's missile steer? Is it feasible to take a snapshot at a quickly incoming aircraft and let it correct towards the target or is the chance of hit much better when aiming at the tail end of a retreating aircraft?

How frequently can pilots fire flares and is a flare guaranteed to mess up this missile? Is there a chance to remain targeted to the aircraft to simulate IR filters?

Is it better to scout the sky with binocs to not give away your location with a lock and then quickly switch, acquire, and fire the weapon as fast as possible or would you be better of keeping the weapon sighted towards the sky to fire at the first glimpse of an aircraft?

I've gotten pretty good at hitting low flying helicopters (and occasionally A10s) with insurgent RPGs but I've yet to master the SA-7.

Re: Using the SA-7 GRAIL

The only thing I know about the SA-7 is that when you run out of rockets, you use your lock as a decoy to scare the planes and choppers away.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Where I found it in Al Basrah (the eastern side of the city next to a big warehouse) also had an ammo dump so I just kept reloading but that is a good idea for times when the location is not so convenient.

I think I probably need to use it as a tail chaser instead of ramming it into the cockpit like I have been doing with RPGs. I have taken out 2 blackhawks and one cobra on that map by smacking them in the face with RPGs as they approached the area I was hiding in. The SA-7 seems to veer off and miss when I try this tactic with it.

Comment

Well, it's searching for the heat signature of the engine, right? Yeah, the rear end is probably the place to hit it.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Occasionally you can knock out the engines on the A-10s... I've had to make one or two emergency landings, they aren't fun. They are hard landings to make especially considering terrain... landing an A-10 in the desert with 0 power is frigging hard. You gotta pull HARD back on that stick.

So as a representative for other CAS pilots, please do not give him tips on how to shoot an SA-7

Comment

Yea the ammo dump north of the Mosque is a good place to set up your firing stage. Flares deployment. I would have to get a bird up to see how long it takes to rearm. But the guy that posted above is definatly right. You should make sure the A-10 is going away from you before you fire. That way the Grail has a good tone to shoot at. Then you'll see some smoke and hopefully an eject and some grateful insurgents too. :-)

Comment

I said DON'T give him advice! You're just being cruel to me now...

Comment

I promise I will only shoot an SA-7 at you if you deserve it. Granted, I will be the one deciding if you deserve it or not :D

Versus helicopters that are coming in close to my position for a drop-off I'm not sure if I would rather have this or the RPG. I may just have good luck but I seem to be able to guess the lead to let a blackhawk pilot fly right in to my RPG pretty well. It doesn't seem to always blow them up though or at least not instantly.

Comment

Note to Self: play on Sloth's team to avoid getting shot down...

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but an RPG can take out a Blackhawk if it isn't at 100%. One good hit will send the Blackhawk crawling for base...and depending on where you hit him, minus a squad in the seats.

Comment

It is possible to eliminate the pilot with the RPG if you hit the cockpit sometimes

Comment

Ahh the SA-7 the bane of all A-10 pilots and the air jockies on the recieving end. There is a great guide written that explains how to use maned AA located on the Project Reality Wiki Site. Over here: http://guide.realitymod.com/index.ph...i-Air_Infantry

In my opinion, trying to engage any aircraft with infantry anti air weapons is futile unless it is a squad effort. Considering my experience with these weapons, you need a minimum of 2 Anti Air Infantry working together to bring down opposing aircraft. In addition, you will need a rifleman and other squad members to provide area security so that the Anti Air Infantry can "do their thing" without interference.

Using these weapons is by no means "easy". There is a skill to learn before the user is able to take down aircraft consistently. Its the skill of timing. Practice makes perfect.

Comment

Sorry Razor :P

Comment

The SA7 does crazy right angle turns and zig zags all over the place... its inconsistent, at best.

When engaging choppers, its best to fire when they are not facing you. If they see the contrail, you're not getting a second shot.

The A10's are often farther away, making it safer to shoot.

I usually work with an ammo man and just pick a high roof with a 360 view.
                            Even when you're out of ammo, they'll get locked and bug out.

Also, keep the SA7 away until you pick your target. They will get the tone if you're facing them and the weapon is out, not necessarily zoomed. You dont want to give them notice. Let them think they just flew into your radius when you pull it out.
                            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                            That noob who crashed the chopper.
                            That noob who ran over the mine.
                            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

So far the best tactic I have found is to stay relatively close to an ammo dump or keep an ammo man nearby and while waiting for aircraft act as an infantry spotter. That seems to work pretty well for me. I did not realize that the SA-7 creates a tone even when you aren't zoomed.

Regarding the RPG and blackhawks, if the bird isn't smoking at all and I hit it it usually starts smoking badly and the pilot books it away. If they are smoking a bit when I hit them it's over. I don't know if this is accurate but it seems like an RPG hit is maybe 75% of the blackhawk's health. I don't normally aim at the engines but at the nose or the side of the bird because I figure a hit that makes them run away and repair is better than no hit at all.

I figure that a heavily damaged blackhawk should be hard to fly so I think it is probably a testament to the quality of the pilots on the server that I have yet to see one spin out and crash immediately after taking the hit.

Razer: I'm near certain that I have never hit a friendly helicopter. Near certain :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X