Project Reality Medic Class

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Reality Medic Class

I was browsing through lots of old forum threads and came upon this little gem. Unfortunately it's seriously out of date. Seeing as medic is my primary class, I figured I'd give a current write-up, along with some tactics to use both as the medic and as the person requiring medical attention.

Overview of the PR Medic Kit:
    The numbers correspond to the default numeric keybinds for weapon switching. If you have altered these, they do not apply and you can substitute with your own binds in your head.
    1: Knife
    2: Primary Weapon
    3: Primary Weapon
    4: Medic Bag (Aim, click-and-hold to use)
    5: Smoke Grenades (2)
    6: Defibrillator (6)
    8: Bandage (crouch over deployed bandage to heal)

The exception to this is the militia medic kit, as it has no defibrillator, so make sure you use your heal-bag wisely when playing militia. Also note that insurgents do not have a medic class, but the civilian has a TON of bandages to give out, which is the next best thing. I still recommend stealing a medic kit with a defibrillator as soon as you get the chance.

Basic rundown:
    The medic is a support kit. Remember this every single time you select it or pick one up. If you were in a primarily offensive role before, you arent anymore. Your job is to keep people alive, not try to be Johnny Hero and take down the enemy in a blaze of glory. You have two offensive weapons, one of which is a knife, thus making you VERY ineffective as a front line groundpounder. Now, this isnt to say that you shouldnt ever fire your gun. Every gun on the battlefield counts, but your primary job isnt bang-bang, it's zap-zap.

Keeping this basic concept in mind, understand that you are going to die. A lot. If you're concerned about your K:D ratio, pick a different kit, because 90% of your deaths are going to happen when you dont have a gun drawn. Medics should be found accompanying every single role on the field. No squad leader or commander should EVER be without medic support. These are two of the most important roles that anyone can play on the field and their death makes a huge impact to the coordination and timing of the team. Snipers frequently overlook the need for an accompanying medic, feeling that their bandage will save them, then they get all huffy when they die and have to wait 5 minutes to get their kit back (if they're lucky). All infantry on the battlefield need medics. We perform a crucial role.

Strategy
    Part I: Take care of #1!
    This is basic: you dont do your team any good if you're dead. I covered the basic concept of being a support role in the opening, but I'll go into a bit of personal safety info here.
    1. Cover your hide. If you arent immediately needed, you need to be somewhere that gives you a maximum survival probability. This means OUT of the firefight, but still in close sprinting distance of your squadmates/team. You may get the occasional scout that pops around the corner and scares you, but that should be the max of your action in a stationary situation. Being prone in jungle maps is your best bet, use dunes and buildings on desert maps.
    2. Heal, Heal, Heal. You need to keep yourself alive and with the maximum amount of health possible. This is a really big deal, seeing as it might just buy you time. I was playing Operation Phoenix yesterday and my whole squad went down right in front of me. I took two hits, but healed myself before going in for revives. I got two members up before a grenade came in and took them back down, but I was still alive because I was at full health (and a bit lucky). In the end, I managed to save 4 and get them all back to full health.
    3. Click, click, click. Your defib/shock paddles have 6 charges. Once they run out, you may as well try and revive people with the medic bag, cause it'll be just as ineffective. Make sure you keep track and rearm your defibrillator frequently. You never know when you're going to need to revive half your team all at once.
    4. SAVE YOUR BANDAGE FOR YOURSELF. This may sound mean, but it will save your life and probably at least one or two other peoples lives as well. You have an unlimited supply of medical help for everyone else that can be used from a decently covered position, as well as being crouched, prone or standing. But to heal yourself with the bag, you have to be dead still, staring at your feet and standing straight up. Nobody could ask for a better target. So save the bandage for yourself and you wont regret it.

Part II: Healing
    1. Heal by priority. In a squad, your squad leader always comes first. Second after that should be your guys with big guns or mission-specific roles (i.e. guys with HAT/LAT/SAW), and last should be anyone with normal kits. If everyone is sporting one of the main 4 kits, heal by whatever order you want, but always keep your SL up at full health.
    2. Heal under cover. A big mistake that people ALWAYS make is that they want to be healed right where they are. Bad move. As a medic, you should have the best covered spot available, as discussed earlier. If someone needs heals, tell them to come to you. This will maximize the probability that both of you survive. Again, you cant do your job from the grave, so running out in the open because your rifleman took one in the arm and is crying for heals is a no-no.
    3. Self-healing. Make VERY sure you're covered when you self heal. As covered earlier, you have to be standing still, upright and staring at your feet when you heal yourself. This means you have 0 situational awareness. You cant see who is running up on you, you cant see whats going on around you, you cant see where the fire is coming from, nothing. You are literally the perfect target. So be very careful when self-healing and look up from time to time to make sure you're still safe.

Part III: Clear! *ZAP*
    1. The defibrillator is my friend. Your greatest ally is your "jesus paddles". You have the unique ability to keep the battle going in the face of overwhelming odds. A squad with a competent medic can nuke 2 full squads without one with no problem whatsoever. Do not be afraid to use them. Aim at the chest and click the mouse. If the body is see-through, it means the person is too dead to revive, so move on. If you zap someone and they dont pop right back up, throw a bandage at the body to make it move and zap again, but never waste any more than two charges on any one person, as you've already been exposed for at least 8 seconds and every passing second means your death is that much closer.
    2. Be aware of the battle. Know where the fire is coming from. As a medic, you need to be an observer as much as you need to be a medic. Always know where the fight is, so when you have to break cover to revive a teammate, you have a good idea of where the closest cover is and whether or not its necessary for you to pop smoke, which brings me to my next point:
    3. Smoke if you got em. Smoke grenades are a great asset. I wish medics had more of them because everyone relies on medic smoke for cover and when you need them to revive in the open, you're always out, but thats a personal gripe. If you're engaged in a large scale firefight and you need to revive someone, smoke placement is critical. Most medics make the rookie mistake of throwing the smoke ON the person they're reviving, or very close to the body. This is a bad move because the enemy can just pop a grenade in the smoke and you're now both dead. Throw the smoke as close to the enemy as you can, creating a smokescreen at a distance between you and them, making you an invisible ranged target and giving you enough time to get in, get out and heal before anyone can see you.
    4. Zap and GO! After you revive someone, RUN FOR COVER. Healing on the spot is the #2 surefire way to get yourself killed. #1 is self-healing.
    5. It BURNS! In an extreme emergency, your shock paddles can be used as a weapon, but keep in mind you have to be in touch-range to kill someone with them. They do not work on living friendlies and wont earn you TKs.
    6. Watch the clock! If you're reviving someone in your squad, make sure you get a time-reading on their death countdown. 10 seconds is not enough time to sprint 100m and get a revive, trust me in that you're better off not even trying. But 12 seconds will have them up and walking around. Big difference that 2 seconds makes.
    7. Be Pro-Life. Your duty isnt just to your squad, its to your team, so make sure you revive ANYONE AND EVERYONE that goes down in your general vicinity. No squad leader in his right mind would ever gripe at you for reviving/healing teammates, so dont sweat it. Medics are a nice force multiplier acting in their squad alone, but a couple good medics can make a mediocre team a killing machine.

Part IV: For All You Little People
    1. Do not be afraid of the medic kit. If your medic goes down, grab his kit and revive him. When you die (there is no if, you are GOING to die), he can return the favor and probably will because he wants his freaking kit back.
    2. Run for the hills! When you get revived, MOVE TO COVER. No smart medic is going to heal you in the open. When I revive people, if they're not smart enough to move to cover, I have no problem letting them bleed out and die again. I refuse to risk my life because some bonehead thinks its a good idea to sit in the same spot where he just died. So do yourself a favor when you get zapped, go for the closest cover to get healed up.
    3. Watch my back. When a medic is healing you, he has to be aimed at YOU, so he cant really see whats going on around him. It is your responsibility as the heal-ee to make sure the heal-er doesnt die while hes trying to save your butt. Staring at the medic while he heals you is an example of what NOT to do.
    4. Come to Daddy. If you need heals, go TO your medic, not vice-versa. The medic probably has a better covered position than you do, which means you're more likely to stay alive while being healed. If you happen to die en-route, thats why he's a medic and not a rifleman. Be glad. If you're not in a position where you can move to the medic, make sure the medic knows that, but dont get mad if all you're doing is spamming "I need a medic over here!" and getting no response.
    5. Tick-tock. When you go down, make sure you tell the medic two things: if you're killed-killed/revivable and how much time he has to get you back up. The second part is more crucial when the medic gets right on top of you to revive. If I go to revive someone and the first zap doesnt work and they have 3 seconds left, my paddles wont even be recharged in time to zap again so I wont try, but 5 seconds will allow me to get that second try in. Again, big difference that two seconds makes.
    6. Play with your medic. This doesnt mean the medic needs to be molested. It means that rambo-ing off into the far reaches of the map is a guaranteed way to stay dead if you get shot. Try to stay in a reasonable range of your medic and make sure you communicate pertinent information to him. The more info the better: time left, condition, fire location, number of enemies, the whole enchilada. If you cant see fit to stick to that simple concept, dont get mad if your medic leaves you bleeding cause you got dumb.

Well, I hope that this short writeup will help some of you become better medics and others of you to learn to appreciate your medics job a bit more. If anyone has any questions/comments/additions, post em here or pm me.

//Ferris out.

Re: Project Reality Medic Class

Nice write-up Ferris.

To embrace a role 100% and become a name associated with that role is something only a few can achieve. And these few are among the most reliable and competent soldiers on the battlefield. Their presence gives a boost of morale to everyone in the squad because an expert is in the squad. You are one of these few. When I see a Ferris, Finestyle, Grunt or Mosely in my squad, I always think (with Eric Cartman voice) "Dammit, again this guy ???... Where is my killer-body nurse?" which translates to "I am so lucky to have such a great medic in my squad" ;)

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    Be Pro-Life.[/U] Your duty isnt just to your squad, its to your team, so make sure you revive ANYONE AND EVERYONE that goes down in your general vicinity. No squad leader in his right mind would ever gripe at you for reviving/healing teammates, so dont sweat it. Medics are a nice force multiplier acting in their squad alone, but a couple good medics can make a mediocre team a killing machine.
    I have a piece of feedback regarding this item Ferris. In my opinion cohesion is one of the most important elements of a solid squad. Everything depends on it; formations, watch directions, tactical movement, maneuvers... A squad/fire team member must be at or near the position he/she is supposed to be at all times. And a medic is first a fire team/squad member and then a medic. This applies to other roles, including SL, in the squad as well.

That's why a medic's responsibility is to his fire team/squad first. By breaking a formation or leaving a position to assist somewhere else may create a huge risk to the squad.

My suggestion is to stress this priority and give a couple of examples how it works in your great medic guide. For example, if squad is performing a tactical movement or is in SL-ordered formation, a medic should never try to provide medical assistance to other squads in the area without checking with SL/FTL first. Those squads are supposed to have their own medics. A good medic moves with and focus on his fire team/squad.

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar View Post
      a medic's responsibility is to his fire team/squad first. By breaking a formation or leaving a position to assist somewhere else may create a huge risk to the squad.
      Critical point there John. I think the best approach for assisting other squads is to ask your squad leader because sometimes it certainly is appropriate to lend a hand. Your loyalties lie with your squad/fireteam first. If you observe a downed leader from a different squad and your squad is not engaged, it's a great idea to ask your SL if you can go assist. This way the rest of your squad knows to cover you while you make your run.

Comment

I know miltia can nick a british medic kit and then revive people but can insurgent. It used to be that the revive still didnt work I think.

Also I personally would smoke the body when reviving and then retreating to heal. Its usually chaos with more then one enemy though you have a point about marking your own position

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Good writeup Ferris.

A militant can pickup a british medic kit to use revive. I do it all the time.

Smoking a body is good advice, I just wish the smoke would build up faster.

Comment

Smoke is usually too slow to provide enough cover to counter the attention that it draws for a good revive on PR. On PoE, yeah, smoke for those open area revives, but sometimes those folks who wandered out into the middle of the road to get cut down by MG fire can't be saved in PR, no matter how many smoke grenades you have left. There's just too much fire trained on their broken selves to get them back on their feet.
            Now, if you can get a grenadier to smoke the body, that would be great! Their smoke cannisters fill an area immediately, and dissipate quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Svidrigaylov View Post
              Smoke is usually too slow to provide enough cover to counter the attention that it draws for a good revive on PR. On PoE, yeah, smoke for those open area revives, but sometimes those folks who wandered out into the middle of the road to get cut down by MG fire can't be saved in PR, no matter how many smoke grenades you have left. There's just too much fire trained on their broken selves to get them back on their feet.
              Now, if you can get a grenadier to smoke the body, that would be great! Their smoke cannisters fill an area immediately, and dissipate quickly.
              I have to differ on that point as i find that the 25 second timer is more than sufficient to pop smoke and grab a revive, but perhaps thats just my opinion.

Comment

One problem nowadays with reviving is that whenever someone gets killed, they were usually prone on the side of a hill/legs buried inside a cement wall while giving covering fire/splash damage slammed their body into a solid rock etc. and their body mesh gets stuck in a mesh. Although they may be revivable, you won't be able to bring them back as their body gets stuck.
                To unstuck them, you need to tap them with something throwable which would be either an ammo bag, smoke grenade, running the body over (lol) but msot of the time you have to get them unstuck with your bandages.
                Doing that has it's good and bad sides:
                +body is un-stuck and ready to be zapped
                +the revived ones will instantly "pick up" the bandage and gain extra health on spot - useful when you have several pacients and can't attend to all at once, but don't want to have them bleed out again.

-waste of perfectly good bandages - especially if there isn't an ammo source for miles
                -if stuck in a hill, the bandage will slide down - even if it manages to nudge the stuck body, again it's waste of bandages (unless you want to run down into the canyon to pick it up, then get stuck down there forever)
                -it will fail to unstuck - most frustrating of all

Since there is a lot of 1337specopsniperdudz out there, using the most ridiculus sniping positions imagineable, this happens a lot, so be sure to check if the body is stuck, easily done by wasting one battery on the defibs, but if you can see that the body is half buried inside an object, then you won't have to waste a defib.

When revived, the revived should always crouch and medics should go prone.
                Why?
                When you heal your pacient, you have to medicate the center body mass a.k.a the guy's butt/privates, since medicating legs/arms doesn't do anything.
                If your pacient is standing, you are both 1.) perfect targets and 2.) medicating is much harder and slower.
                If your pacient is prone and constantly moving around, reaching his behind is again harder + every time he moves, he interrupts the medication process. Another issue here is that the medic may be glitched into the pacients body and most of the time, when the pacient fires his gun, he kills his medic by accident, because the medic has to be literally all over him to med him.

So if the pacient crouches and medic goes prone:
                +the medic has more cover and can access the pacient's body a lot easier
                +the pacient can return fire/defend the medic without wounding/killing the medic
                +no interruptins means the healing process takes a couple of seconds and the medic is done a lot faster and can attend someone else

Comment

agree with all points, EXCEPT field dressings rolling down a hill, this does not happen anymore as they stick to wherever you throw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                    I have to differ on that point as i find that the 25 second timer is more than sufficient to pop smoke and grab a revive, but perhaps thats just my opinion.
                    :icon14:

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X