Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly enter and exit a chopper for landings/extractions/takeoffs

UH-1 Huey:

Yes these are the new birds of the sky (though they have been in service since the Vietnam War) that are featured on several maps. The trick with the Huey unlike the Army’s replacement the blackhawk is that it in some cases is easier to land on rockier terrain and can be done quicker (due to the skids). These are some tips that I recommend from my experience of Heli landings in .75.

Whether you are 3 random people in the heli, or a full squad, once you touch down, and or are dropped a few feet off the ground, get in the crouching or prone position. This will allow the heli to safely take off and it wont risk a unecessary TK. "A Perimeter you will create" as spoken correctly by yoda but nonetheless it is true, fan out, and notice the surroundings when you come in. If its hot/you know enemy are on the hills (jabal) put down covering fire if need be, suppresion effects is your friend at this moment. Also having 2 engineers on the inside seats is worthwhile, because as well know in .75 2 wrenches work better than one. SLs if possible setup a rp immediately in case of a sudden rpg/hat/aa attack that destroys the huey and your squad.

Though upon exiting the huey, if you are not trying to be stealthy start laying down fire, aim at the mountains, even if you do not kill it will give you a few seconds more to gain cover and ample fire team positions. Also at this time any supply drops that need to be made should be made, and the huey should immediately vacate the AO going right back to the carrier, in the safest way possible, any lingering on the ground/in the air, will result in damage/ticket/point loss and falling debris can kill troops on the ground.

The Dam though very tactical as an insertion is not the smartest place to go with a full squad right off the bat, its almost like a 2 sided death trap....insertions can also be done over the water and the damage level will be minimal. Too many times have I seen a huey go for dam while it meets its impeding doom from vodniks leaving the MEC Main, or soldiers who open fire on it in the beginning. Use the North Grids and mountain areas above east and west beach, it can be done don't get me wrong the the probablity of failure and being able to set an RP immediately is slim when going for the dam.

OH-6 Loach (Little Bird):

This bird as shown on Qwai is the perfect example of snatch and grab touchdowns and take offs. When touching down, also leave quickly and immediately get in a crouching or prone position, putting down covering fire when needed (helps if you have a Saw gunner seating towards the front/a spec ops/full auto gun on the other side, or even non-scoped rifleman/engineer) or 3 shot bursts or grenadiers to lay down the necessary fire/fire into the hills and brush surroundings.

The LB is a quick insertion chopper that also makes drop offs into the water quick and easy (pay attention to Dirtboy's fail video, watch out for WW2 like anti-tank metal structures they will ruin your day)

When getting dropped off on top of structures form a line of cover as you move forward, (if you are on the two front sides one person look left and front, the other look right and front, the back 2 people look behind you, left and right where appropriate.)

With pickups, the LB is most vulnerable like any chopper when it has to wait a few seconds more than needed. Landing in the popped smoke area though confusing gives cover and the squad should all be there......It is not the time to get kits, its the time to load up, making sure the landing zone perimeter is clear and the chopper can take off. And once the chopper has taken off it should immediately get out of the AO any lingering can cause damage/point/ticket loss and falling debris can kill men on the ground.

SH-60 SeaHawk:

We all know about this bird, its a great transport chopper but it is larger and easier to shoot at especially on landing, not having skids does help in some cases but it can roll sometimes farther than needed. As explained in the above descriptions setting an RP immediately is the best plan, having at least 1 mini gunner in position also works to strafe the surrounding areas and to put down suppression fire (note do not fire the mini guns on take off and during approach, it is a sure way to give away your position as an enemy hears the helicopter sound. It is also essential that the transport heli squad designate one person to stay as engineer and operate the mini gun, and repair when needed.
    Also having engineers in the squad helps to ensure no more damage is taken upon landing(if there is not already an engineer operating the mini-gun in the seahawk.
    The tactic of creating a perimeter upon landing and extraction for the Sea Hawk is especially key. It takes a few seconds longer in most cases to touchdown and depart, making sure that a sound perimeter with smoke and fire is pertinent to a quick and safe extraction. Also upon landing make sure no one is standing up, accidental tks are notorious, due to the height ratios from the cabin to the rotor blades, get down and stay down prone/crouched until the bird lifts off.

MEC Transport:

this is a more bulkier chopper…..though the .50 cal guns can do some good its IMHO a deathtrap waiting to happen. Upon landing which is tougher since it does stick out like a sore thumb, immediately get out and setup a perimeter, it is a bit safer upon exiting due to the height ratio from the cabin to the rotors, setting up a RP is essential, due to the vastness of this chopper, and due to its lack of speed. It is a cold war relic, and unless the HIND attack chopper is implemented (the attack version can carry troops) it is far more susceptible to incoming fire.

*On a Side Note*: From my personal experience on Zatar Wetlands, when available have a LB with either mini-guns or Rockets provide lead cover for incoming transport choppers. One Gun Bird can provide cover for 2 Hueys, or have one at the back and one up front as the choppers make insertions. Too many times have I seen a lone transport enter a AO with no cover and the result is just a pile of debris.
    Especially with Zatar in the first moments when dropping troops off into the south hills behind Natural Gas and Oil Storage or on the hills above farm or on the airfield, it is essential to provide cover support, strafing the area around if needed and giving the chopper landing a few extra seconds to make sure everyone is out.
    I have really yet to see something like this used, I usually see the attack birds go on there merry way even after having the commander order that they give protection. It is one of the many reasons why (along with why everyone goes for airfield first) that the USMC is not always as successful as they should be. Also having an apc with troops is essential in taking the first landing sites (I will make another tip suggestion for Zatar and not take away from the chopper portion.)
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: How to properly enter and exit a chopper for landings/extractions/takeoffs

It is great to see this guide, it would have been useful the many times a squad exits my helo, and then i get shot down by an enemy that the squad could have taken out. It will also save many a tk now that people know to duck :P

Comment

Im pretty sure if you even so much as touch one of the blackhawk's wheels when it is off the ground you will die.

Comment

bump
        [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9WgF3KvJ8[/media]

Comment

Since I could no longer modify my original post I have included my original write up with the video Browna Posted.

UH-1 Huey:

Yes these are the new birds of the sky (though they have been in service since the Vietnam War) that are featured on several maps. The trick with the Huey unlike the Army’s replacement the blackhawk is that it in some cases is easier to land on rockier terrain and can be done quicker (due to the skids). These are some tips that I recommend from my experience of Heli landings in .75.

Whether you are 3 random people in the heli, or a full squad, once you touch down, and or are dropped a few feet off the ground, get in the crouching or prone position. This will allow the heli to safely take off and it wont risk a unnecessary TK. "A Perimeter you will create" as spoken correctly by yoda but nonetheless it is true, fan out, and notice the surroundings when you come in. If its hot/you know enemy are on the hills (Jabal) put down covering fire if need be, suppression effects is your friend at this moment. Also having 2 engineers on the inside seats is worthwhile, because as well know in .75 2 wrenches work better than one. SLs if possible setup a rp immediately in case of a sudden rpg/hat/aa attack that destroys the huey and your squad.

Though upon exiting the huey, if you are not trying to be stealthy start laying down fire, aim at the mountains, even if you do not kill it will give you a few seconds more to gain cover and ample fire team positions. Also at this time any supply drops that need to be made should be made, and the huey should immediately vacate the AO going right back to the carrier, in the safest way possible, any lingering on the ground/in the air, will result in damage/ticket/point loss and falling debris can kill troops on the ground.

The Dam though very tactical as an insertion is not the smartest place to go with a full squad right off the bat, its almost like a 2 sided death trap....insertions can also be done over the water and the damage level will be minimal. Too many times have I seen a huey go for dam while it meets its impeding doom from vodniks leaving the MEC Main, or soldiers who open fire on it in the beginning. Use the North Grids and mountain areas above east and west beach, it can be done don't get me wrong the the probablity of failure and being able to set an RP immediately is slim when going for the dam.

OH-6 Loach (Little Bird):

This bird as shown on Qwai is the perfect example of snatch and grab touchdowns and take offs. When touching down, also leave quickly and immediately get in a crouching or prone position, putting down covering fire when needed (helps if you have a Saw gunner seating towards the front/a spec ops/full auto gun on the other side, or even non-scoped rifleman/engineer) or 3 shot bursts or grenadiers to lay down the necessary fire/fire into the hills and brush surroundings.

The LB is a quick insertion chopper that also makes drop offs into the water quick and easy (pay attention to Dirtboy's fail video, watch out for WW2 like anti-tank metal structures they will ruin your day)

When getting dropped off on top of structures form a line of cover as you move forward, (if you are on the two front sides one person look left and front, the other look right and front, the back 2 people look behind you, left and right where appropriate.)

With pickups, the LB is most vulnerable like any chopper when it has to wait a few seconds more than needed. Landing in the popped smoke area though confusing gives cover and the squad should all be there......It is not the time to get kits, its the time to load up, making sure the landing zone perimeter is clear and the chopper can take off. And once the chopper has taken off it should immediately get out of the AO any lingering can cause damage/point/ticket loss and falling debris can kill men on the ground.

SH-60 SeaHawk:

We all know about this bird, its a great transport chopper but it is larger and easier to shoot at especially on landing, not having skids does help in some cases but it can roll sometimes farther than needed. As explained in the above descriptions setting an RP immediately is the best plan, having at least 1 mini gunner in position also works to strafe the surrounding areas and to put down suppression fire (note do not fire the mini guns on take off and during approach, it is a sure way to give away your position as an enemy hears the helicopter sound. It is also essential that the transport heli squad designate one person to stay as engineer and operate the mini gun, and repair when needed.
          Also having engineers in the squad helps to ensure no more damage is taken upon landing(if there is not already an engineer operating the mini-gun in the Seahawk.
          The tactic of creating a perimeter upon landing and extraction for the Sea Hawk is especially key. It takes a few seconds longer in most cases to touchdown and depart, making sure that a sound perimeter with smoke and fire is pertinent to a quick and safe extraction. Also upon landing make sure no one is standing up, accidental tks are notorious, due to the height ratios from the cabin to the rotor blades, get down and stay down prone/crouched until the bird lifts off.

MEC Transport:

this is a more bulkier chopper…..though the .50 cal guns can do some good its IMHO a deathtrap waiting to happen. Upon landing which is tougher since it does stick out like a sore thumb, immediately get out and setup a perimeter, it is a bit safer upon exiting due to the height ratio from the cabin to the rotors, setting up a RP is essential, due to the vastness of this chopper, and due to its lack of speed. It is a cold war relic, and unless the HIND attack chopper is implemented (the attack version can carry troops) it is far more susceptible to incoming fire.

The below Explanation can be used on the Updated Version of Muttrah City, and can even be implemented on Operation Barracuda:

*On a Side Note*: From my personal experience on Zatar Wetlands, when available have a LB with either mini-guns or Rockets provide lead cover for incoming transport choppers. One Gun Bird can provide cover for 2 Huey's, or have one at the back and one up front as the choppers make insertions. Too many times have I seen a lone transport enter a AO with no cover and the result is just a pile of debris.
          Especially with Zatar in the first moments when dropping troops off into the south hills behind Natural Gas and Oil Storage or on the hills above farm or on the airfield, it is essential to provide cover support, strafing the area around if needed and giving the chopper landing a few extra seconds to make sure everyone is out.
          I have really yet to see something like this used, I usually see the attack birds go on there merry way even after having the commander order that they give protection. It is one of the many reasons why (along with why everyone goes for airfield first) that the USMC is not always as successful as they should be. Also having an APC with troops is essential in taking the first landing sites (I will make another tip suggestion for Zatar and not take away from the chopper portion.)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9WgF3KvJ8[/media]
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Reminds me when I was playing with Zedic.

Excellent job, top of the line work!

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...