No announcement yet.

PR Specialty Squad: Airborne Engineers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR Specialty Squad: Airborne Engineers.

Basic concept: 4 engineers, pilot, Squad leader. airdrop mines (you can drop mines from a passenger seat in a helicopter), emergency repairs for tanks etc, rapid deployment of Firebases (with large Transport choppers), general infantry in a pinch, possibly HAT/Spec-ops for clever anti-tank flying (you know, getting above the tank and dropping on him/shooting with HAT), and maybe even airdrop tripflares.

Theoretical: Map is Qwai. Team is US. Grab 1 transport helo, fly to road from PLA main to north bridge, drop mines, fall back, re-arm, and do a quick pass over South bridge, dropping mines. continue making mine runs. called by commander to deploy FB in Gov Office. 1 engy or SL grabs a comm truck, and 4 engys quickly build the FB. more mine runs. Stryker at land bridge is immobilized, drop engys off next to him and get him fighting fit in no time flat. continue in this fashion for rest of map.

KEY POINTS:
    -High mobility
    -Drop mines on the go; no need to invest large amounts of time getting behind enemy lines
    -Easily converted to airborne inf squad if necessary
    -Save tracked friendly vehicles; This rarely happens, with airborne engineers it may be a reality
    -Utilize trip flares in a way that's actually helpful; drop a bunch in an area and it may actually help alert friendlies.
    -You CAN drop mines/trip flares from passenger seats on helis; try it!
    -Theoretically 32(!) mines/trip flares; in practice, most likely fewer.

I haven't tried this yet; It's just a sparkle in my eye at the moment. But I truly think it could work.

Re: PR Specialty Squad: Airborne Engineers.

I don't believe you're allowed to fire off a H-AT from inside a helo :) Other stuff looks good though.

| |

Comment

I like the idea of mining an area with lb and engineers, great idea especially when they cant destroy the bridges now.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

I'm going to try this on Qwai this week. Squad name "Mobile Minefield" :)
        |TG-X|WAREHOUSE

Comment

Huh, I was wrong: Helicopters ARE used to lay minefield in real life, according to wikipedia:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_mine#Laying_mines

Comment

All done before, i remember doing this in 0.5, hell, we used to drop C4 of the helos onto tanks for kills, and onto bridges and blow them up. HAT used to work from helos then also, and it was good, but i think its gone now, which is for the best IMO. It needs a good pilot, and fast reloads to do it correctly. Hell, we used to have a pink squad with Sam Hoy back in the day....Recce chopper would pick out and entice enemy chopper to its death by ours, then we owned the sky.....

Comment

Good times:
              http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...ion-guide.html

Comment

The 15th planned to do airbourne engineers on muttrah, using the helo to spread a minefield over key areas. Never got around to it though, it worked quite well during practice though i would try it out in public as long as you have a good squad.

Comment

If you drop a mine from a helicopter, wouldn't it turn over and be useless?
                  Also, I don't think firing AT from a heli is allowed.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

did this on qwai- was great way to deny hostiles the bridges and water crossing early in the game- probably would have been more effective if the tow squad wasn't raping everything in site.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                      If you drop a mine from a helicopter, wouldn't it turn over and be useless?
                      IRL? Yes/possibly (there are heli-dropped minefields, so they must have some workaround)

In game? No.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X