No announcement yet.

Helicopter Advice for everyone.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter Advice for everyone.

I refuse to fly helicopters on Jabal. I always fly on Kashan. I sometimes fly on Qwai River.

I refuse to fly with someone as my "Gunner". I'm a transport service, not a gunship.

I always hang around the base until I hear a pickup request.

I refuse to land right in the middle of a cap. I always land away from it on Flat ground. I refuse to drop people in the mountains and such as they have on Kashan as I always end up landing on an angle and flying off of it at 200 MPH when I try to lift off to fix myself from flipping over.

Supply crate requests are iffy and must be requested to drop in a clear area. Very seldom (but I've done it cause I knew they needed it) will I go to a hot LZ for a crate. Last time I did it, I had to drop a crate off to a squad defending North Village and I knew there were 4 tanks on the hills looking at it but they needed supplies badly. I ended up dropping the crate and I could hear 3 tank shells and 2 missiles fly past me before another tank shell hit me and blew me up.

I will refuse the orders of my own squad leader who is telling me to go to a place to pick a squad up if I've yet to hear the squad leader ask for it. I had a squad leader kept yelling at me to go to North Village to do something because the commander told him too, yet the commander never would type out a confirmation nor would any of the squad people at the NV would confirm they needed anything either.

I believe that a one-man squad is the only thing needed for a transport squad and the person has to be able to know when to fly and when not to fly. I dislike seeing a 5 man trans squad and I always join it and I ask everyone if they can seriously fly and most of the time people leave cause they can't and they join infantry squads.

Transport is the only thing I find fun a lot of the time. Sometimes infantry is fun when the Squad Leader knows what he's doing. It's not when he doesn't or if he has the patience of a 6 year old and can't cope under stress and ends up yelling into his microphone.

BTW, here is my set of rules for requesting anything from a transport heli.

1. If you need an extraction, call for it in a safe location on flat ground. Roads are good as I can use them as a mini runway. Tell me where you're at and pop green smoke when you see I'm getting close. There have been plenty of times where a squad asks for a pickup and there are so many people milling around Idk where to land cause Idk which people is the squad.

2. Keep your squad around the LZ (that has been indicated by the green smoke) Keep them close enough to the LZ that it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to get everyone in. I hate sitting on the ground as I'm an open target for any rockets, shells, grenades, and bullets.

3. When the last person is in, I want SOMEONE to say go. A lot of the time I have to type "Everyone in?" cause I don't know if everyone is inside or not which wastes more time.

4. After you say go (You should've actually told me before I had even landed in the first place) tell me where to go. It sucks having to fly and type at the same time. Luckily I'm blessed with the power of high WPM so I can type quickly and be able to maintain control of the heli.

5. Do not shoot the door gunner's guns. It's annoying and it reveals my position.

6. Do not hop out until I'm on stable ground. If I made a poor choice of LZ and I can't seem to find level ground and I land on an angle, I will try to correct before I flip and I usually end up hitting 200 mph instantly when I lift off. Often I'm not even on the ground and people jump out thinking they're close enough and end up injuring themselves.

7. There are times I get locked on and I begin emergency maneuvers. DO NOT HOP OUT. There have been plenty of times where I'm flying and suddenly I'm locked. I hit flares and I start doing my magic and I realize that half the squad just bailed thinking they're going to die and the missiles never come. You're going to die either way if I blow up. Jumping out is just suicide unless I'm close to the ground and if I save the heli (which I've done before) you just killed yourself needlessly.

8. When you do get out, Run away from the heli at 90 degree angles. Don't run in front of the Heli like I've seen happen a lot. Laying down is a must after you hop out and do a sprint for a half a second. Distance and being low is good if I lift off and (if I'm at an angle) I go suddenly in an odd direction super quickly or if I do a turn on the ground. I don't like seeing that I tked someone lifting off. It's not good for the squad.

9. Do not complain about the LZ. Many a time I've had a squad leader yell at me to drop him off in the hottest area in the map and I decline by setting him down in an area that's further than he wanted and he's complained. A lot of time, I have a pre designated point I drop people off at for the flags. You ask me to take you to a flag, I already know where you're going to be dropped off at.

10. Do not complain about the length of time it takes to get to places. This applies to the wait it takes for me to get to you or for me to drop you off. I'm not flying through the middle of the map for a reason. It may take a minute longer than you'd like to get to that place, but at least be thankful you didn't have any missiles blowing you to pieces or bullets hitting the pilot and killing him or hitting you. (I've been sniped out of my blackhawk before with rounds. It's not fun.)'s a little reminder about flying on Muttrah.

The Huey is a great asset for getting troops in and out quickly. I actually prefer to use this over the LB as the LB becomes paper for the .50's and missiles to shoot at. Stay low and quick. Do NOT go through the middle of the Gulf. Either go to the left side of the map and use the warehouses/buildings for cover or go to the right side and go through the mountain range. I do not recommend going through the mountains on the left side in a transport as you have to gain a lot of altitude to get over them and expose yourself to a lot of AA fire, it's even worse if you got an AA on the hotel.

If you find yourself locked on by an AA, do a abrupt 180 turn and release two sets of flares as you point your nose at the ground and lose as much altitude and gain as much speed as you can. Try to use buildings to break the lock as much as possible and get cover. I used this move on the left side a lot when we were playing Muttrah 16 during password night by the warehouse/north city. I had plenty of missiles smashing into the mountainside just meer meters from me. It was pretty intense.

If the enemy gets AA on the hotel, you will find yourself locked down immensely. However, staying low and keeping out of sight is good for avoiding them. Take the super long way around. If you know all the fighting is at North City, go to the right and take the mountain range and come up behind them. Same thing if it's the other way around.

And the best advice I can give to anyone is this..

Thanks and enjoy your ride.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

Re: Helicopter Advice for everyone.

i think this also would be useful

Originally posted by TheTonkaTruck View Post

I refuse to fly with someone as my "Gunner". I'm a transport service, not a gunship.

I will refuse the orders of my own squad leader who is telling me to go to a place to pick a squad up if I've yet to hear the squad leader ask for it. I had a squad leader kept yelling at me to go to North Village to do something because the commander told him too, yet the commander never would type out a confirmation nor would any of the squad people at the NV would confirm they needed anything either.

I believe that a one-man squad is the only thing needed for a transport squad and the person has to be able to know when to fly and when not to fly. I dislike seeing a 5 man trans squad and I always join it and I ask everyone if they can seriously fly and most of the time people leave cause they can't and they join infantry squads.
      Tonka as I have just actually read your entire parts instead of skimming around it, i have to disagree with you on several points however I decided to discuss 3 of the above.

1. Utilizing the door guns on the BH are vital for certain instances. Yes you are a transport pilot and if you are the SL that doesn't mean you can't have 1 or 2 engineers in your chopper, or even a medic (soldiers who board who are injured will be healed automatically) to give some fire upon landing, and taking off, or if a CO, or if no CO is present if a squad requests mini gun fire. You might want to go over the SOP's, the primer and the rules in regards to teamwork, and even have an open mind, there is a reason why Seahawks and Blackhawks have mini guns.

2. Refusing orders by your SL is not what TG is about. There is a reason if a CO is present that the SL is told what to do, and is given a move marker. This is to cut down on micro-management and having players type out that they need to be picked up here or dropped here etc. In these cases my suggestion suggest you be the SL so you can talk directly with the CO. The Commander doesn't need to type out anything if he doesn't want to, that is why there are SL's, they relay the info to their squad and so on and so forth.

I also suggest signing on to teamspeak, and be in the Leadership channel when you are piloting a helicopter.

3. In some respects i understand your idea of having a one man transport squad, in others however it doesn't necessarily make sense, you can look at the post in regards to having a medic in the BH or engineers, this can be done also with a Huey.

In all Tonka after really reading your post it is more from an individuals piont of view rather than looking at it from a team's point of view, now this is my own opinion but, you might want to look at the game half full instead of almost empty.

Also lets say you are a one man squad and all the helicopters are shot down, what do you do now? If you had 2 other people in your squad, you could, A) get an officer kit and be able to set up a rally point and help other squads take flags, or even provide intel.

I would be more open to other possibilites and using transport helo's in the way they are supposed to be run. I strongly am in favor of once helo's are used in the opening stages of dropping off, squads and dropping off supplies that they return to the air base, and don't fly around the map.

Also flying a transport helicopter or any asset should be looked at as a privilege. There is no where in the Project Reality Handbook/Manual or anywhere in the TG PR Rules and Regs that states that anyone is automatically given the right to use any asset or kit. Even when there is a CO present he has the right to assign another squad at any given time to allocate an asset(s) or kit(s) for their use, and can take away rights of a squad etc.

Just keep an open mind, too many rules, especially riddled with "I" can be more annoying than supportive.
      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
      Level I HazMat Technician
      NYS EMT-B
      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Here's my re-written version.

Time to re-write. Here we..go. *Batman Reference*.

I've recently overclocked my video card and I find myself more willing to fly on maps due to the fact I won't lag right into the ground.
        I found that I enjoy flying on Kashan, Qwai, and Jabal, Muttrah, and Ramiel. I've yet to fly on any other maps really.
        I've decided to edit my checklist of pointers to more correctly reflect my beliefs and this game version.

Transport Helicopters.

1. I am more able to predict the flow of the game and as such, able to land you in more places. If a squad hops in and requests to go to a flag and I feel that the flag is safe, I'll land as close as I can. I like to drop the squads off in covered area's, so I try to keep that in mind. I still, however, refuse to drop squads off too close to the front battle lines when I know that there is AA in the area and doing so will be certain death for all of us. For those who are reading this, if you feel as if you are not able to bring the chopper back safely, tell the squad about your concerns. You're responsible for their safety to an extent. However, don't be rude about it.

2. I'm more experienced with supply crates than I was and I actually love doing them now. It gives me something to do and it's fun to find the colored smoke and drop things on it for the crew. If requesting a crate, tell exact coordinates and pop smoke if you can. If you're flying and they haven't, be more observant. Look for the group of people. Ask yourself," Has any other choppers dropped crates?" If so, look for that crate and try to drop it next to that. Don't try to sacrifice the chopper to bring crates for people. Only experienced pilots and in certain circumstances should it be done.

3. I actively read the chat and you should too. Not everyone is on teamspeak ( You should be though ) and the chat is their main way of communicating with you. People should be giving precise and clear requests with coordinates ( I.E. A6 KP3 or Alpha 6, Keypad 3 or something like that. ). Ask the squad if the area is secure. Many a time I've had to bug out due to a threat they didn't talk about or just didn't know was there. Also, for god sakes, don't type while flying. You end up losing control real easily.

4. Three to Four man squads is all that is needed for a transport squad. I feel that the most efficient way (Yet boring sorta) is for the SL to stay at base and actually command his squad. He is the single link to the commander and can relay orders with move markers. He can pay more attention to the chat and give more precise locations than a SL who has to try to read the map while flying or a SM who's squad leader isn't listening and has to memorize the location in his head.

5. Try to keep the helicopters grounded unless you're on a specific mission. DON'T MESS AROUND. Those heli's cost tickets and time and that is something your team can't afford to lose if you're hovering or doing barrel rolls and lag into the ground or disconnect.

6. Gun-runs. I personally only do these on Ramiel and Kashan 16. I've recently done them on Al Bashrah V2 to much success. Gun-runs are dangerous and require a skilled pilot and ONE skilled gunner. There is a lot of communication that goes into this, so both parties need to be on VoIP or TS or Vent. The reason I only ask for one gunner is simple. I can't have both guns facing the target. When I fly, I end up going into a 500 MPH oval around the target with the door gunner facing the target. The other guy will be looking into the air most of the time. It's a waste of a ticket if the heli is shot down and the extra guy goes down with it. However, if that person volunteers to be an Engi and repair while you're flying, go for it. It won't hurt.

7. Calling for pickup/extraction and doing it. It's not the hardest thing, but it requires a certain amount of skill. As the SL, be precise where you're at. "Need extraction at North Village (or coordinates) on the road. Enter West." After you got a helicopter inbound, keep your squad together. I dislike having to wait for that lone SM who's running from the other side of the town to me. Also try to keep your LZ's on flat surfaces, roads are excellent.
        The embarking/disembarking should take no longer than 3 seconds. After your squad is inside, someone say "Go" Or use the voice command and immediately state where you want to go.
        When disembarking, sprint for half a second to a second and go prone. If the helicopter gets out of control, you won't get clipped by the rotor. Do it quickly, the longer you wait, the longer the heli is exposed.

For the pilot, look at your map before you take off. Try to memorize quickly their location. After checking, take off and go for it. Stay low and fast. If you've memorized the map and you know the surface is flat, go for a runway type landing. This is when your wheels touch the ground and slow you down quickly. You take no damage and you don't spend time fiddling with your S key (or throttle if you use a joystick.) Quickly make sure the way is clear by using Ctrl + Mouse to look if noone says go and go to your destination.
        Take them to where they want to go and do the same thing. Try not to spin on the ground. However, after you lift off the ground, do a 180 turn and go straight back the way you went. You know that's a safe area. If it's not, try to think quickly of a better route.
        Remember, LOW AND FAST.

8. When in the heli, don't panic or mess around. Don't shoot the door gunner guns and don't hop out prematurely unless you have a suicide wish. If I begin emergency maneuvers, don't hop out. We might live and if you've hopped out, you've wasted a ticket and now away from your squad.

9. Emergency procedures. .50 cals and AA are the primary dangers to the helicopter. Kashan has an extra danger of flying planes and tanks. If you become under fire, you need to drop altitude and gain speed. Trade your angels for energy. Turn away from the fire and if it's a lock, pop flares immediately. As you're peeling away, do your best to find cover from the fire. If no cover is available, peel away as fast as you can in a zig-zag fashion while popping flares. .50 cal gunners have a hard time aimming at moving targets and hiding behind your flares tend to make missiles miss. Whatever you do, don't panic. Stay calm and try your best to evaluate your situation in the couple seconds you have. Only practice and experience will improve you.

10. Have fun most of all. Flying helicopters is extremely fun. However, don't hog it and don't get angry if you can't fly a round. Ground-work is fun as well. Practice as much as you can in training servers and always try to have VoIP abilities.

This should be a more appealing checklist of advice for people.

You're resident FireFighter/EMT TonkaTruck <3

You sure are interested in choppers Tonka, It's new years and I don't really wan't to read such large things.

As long as you can get me to a destination and then extract me out of it, I'm happy.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed