BF2 server on a virtual Linux server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 server on a virtual Linux server?

I tried to set up a BF2 server on a virtual Linux server running Debian. Among other things this menas that the interface name is venet0 and the external interface is a alias to this interface, venet0:0 that is.

Has anyone else had problems setting up a server on this kind of environment? For me everything goes fine until I try to connect to it. The software is up and running and it shows the IP adress and the port I configured and so on. After some investigation it seems that the server software is not even listening on any ports (checked with nmap locally).

Any ideas?

Re: BF2 server on a virtual Linux server?

Originally posted by Kypeli
    I tried to set up a BF2 server on a virtual Linux server running Debian. Among other things this menas that the interface name is venet0 and the external interface is a alias to this interface, venet0:0 that is.

Has anyone else had problems setting up a server on this kind of environment? For me everything goes fine until I try to connect to it. The software is up and running and it shows the IP adress and the port I configured and so on. After some investigation it seems that the server software is not even listening on any ports (checked with nmap locally).

Any ideas?
    What is the host OS you're using to build the virtual servers? And what software are you using to build virtual servers?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
      What is the host OS you're using to build the virtual servers? And what software are you using to build virtual servers?
      The host server is running Fedora Core 1 and the software that is used to create the virtual server is Virtuozzo (http://www.sw-soft.com/en/products/virtuozzo/).

Comment

I would edit the server config file and make sure you assign the IP address to be used by the server statically rather than allowing it to try and guess.

How do you have the IP address assignments set up for the guest OS? Is the host providing DHCP for the guest OS or is the host running as a bridge allowing the guest OS to grab an IP address of it's own off your network? Can you ping the guest OS from another machine on your network other than the virtual host OS?

I must say, I've never tried to run a game server off a virtual machine. I assume there is some goal in running this in Debian rather than your native FC1 install?

Comment

How is the Virtuozzo software?

I have been using VMWare for about 2 years at work, ESX Server. I have never hosted a game server through a virtual machine. I might try that with VMWare workstation 5. Let us know how it turnes out.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

Originally posted by Redleg75
            How is the Virtuozzo software?

I have been using VMWare for about 2 years at work, ESX Server. I have never hosted a game server through a virtual machine. I might try that with VMWare workstation 5. Let us know how it turnes out.
            I use VMWare pretty extensively as well. My laptop is set up as a dual boot w/ Windows XP and Fedora Core 3. Under Windows XP I run VMWare instances for Solaris x86, Fedora, Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Workstation. Mostly for penetration testing work though. I use the dual-boot Core 3 OS for 802.11 security assessments.

I've toyed with the idea of running VMWare on the TG servers, I just don't have the time to really play with it and see how well they would run.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              I use VMWare pretty extensively as well. My laptop is set up as a dual boot w/ Windows XP and Fedora Core 3. Under Windows XP I run VMWare instances for Solaris x86, Fedora, Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Workstation. Mostly for penetration testing work though. I use the dual-boot Core 3 OS for 802.11 security assessments.

I've toyed with the idea of running VMWare on the TG servers, I just don't have the time to really play with it and see how well they would run.
              I can get you a demo copy of the full ESX server to try. You would get the best performance out of ESX. I am willing to bet you could run at least 10 VMs on a decent 2 CPU server with no issues.
              I run 40+ 2k, '03, and Linux servers on one 4 cpu server at work. Second best would be a Linux box with GSX. Let me know if you start toying with it I would be glad to help.

Is there plans or has there been in the past a America's Army TG server? I run one from home on a
              Fedora Core 3 server dedicated. Not up at this time because 2.4 isn't out yet. I would be willing to host or help in anyway for TG. I guess this is a question for the AAO section :-)
              Last edited by Redleg75; 07-04-2005, 05:01 PM. Reason: Additional info
              "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X